Marriage and the Temple

Lost Boy

I called it last year that church was going to change the policy on Temple marriage.  

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900069248/church-marriage-temple-sealing-policy-mormon-lds.html?fbclid=IwAR2sZrIlNUt0XekdNoNL4Tje3fFGMGLoL3MOtp7frwE0er03aPEhh9VrSMQ

This is a good change.  Let everyone celebrate the marriage.  Let the sealing be sacred.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2019 at 10:42 PM, Lost Boy said:

I called it last year that church was going to change the policy on Temple marriage.  

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900069248/church-marriage-temple-sealing-policy-mormon-lds.html?fbclid=IwAR2sZrIlNUt0XekdNoNL4Tje3fFGMGLoL3MOtp7frwE0er03aPEhh9VrSMQ

This is a good change.  Let everyone celebrate the marriage.  Let the sealing be sacred.

I had a question about this part of the article.

But the change will be felt most keenly in the United States and Canada, where a one-year waiting
period for a temple sealing after a civil marriage was the policy for about 100 years, according to
a previous blog post by historian Ardis Parshall.

Parshall wrote that among the reasons the one-year wait was instituted was a concern among
leaders like church President Joseph F. Smith and the man who succeeded him in 1918, President
Heber J. Grant, that elaborate public wedding celebrations among Latter-day Saints in Utah were
turning the sacred temple sealing into an afterthought.

Did they have elaborate public wedding celebrations back in the time in Utah when this policy was
created and was this was serious enough to extend the policy to all of Canada and the U.S.?

Thank you,

Gale

8 minutes ago, GaleG said:

I had a question about this part of the article.

But the change will be felt most keenly in the United States and Canada, where a one-year waiting
period for a temple sealing after a civil marriage was the policy for about 100 years, according to
a previous blog post by historian Ardis Parshall.

Parshall wrote that among the reasons the one-year wait was instituted was a concern among
leaders like church President Joseph F. Smith and the man who succeeded him in 1918, President
Heber J. Grant, that elaborate public wedding celebrations among Latter-day Saints in Utah were
turning the sacred temple sealing into an afterthought.

Did they have elaborate public wedding celebrations back in the time in Utah when this policy was
created and was this was serious enough to extend the policy to all of Canada and the U.S.?

Thank you,

Gale

That is what the Parshall says in the bolded part. 

Utah is the headquarters of the church... as goes the headquarters so goes the rest of the church for policies.. unless it has good reasons not to.

Culturally Utah-US-Canda have a whole lot in common... Fads and trends can easily be held in common through them.

I have wondered if this is a prelude to other things (change) to come.  I am convinced that nothing happens without reason and as time has altered our social structure so will the ordinances of G-d conform to accommodate social changes in civil law.  As traditional marriage and family has become a threat to social justice; a growing number have decided that a union between a man and a woman should not define lawful marriage - I have pondered if the day will come when marriages are no longer performed in temples - only sealings.  This would be necessary if enemies of the traditional family and the Church attempted to force the Church to perform homosexual marriages to maintain legal licence to marry.  So, in essence the Church would no longer perform marriages (either in the temple or outside the temple, such as a bishop performing a marriage for time only).

This would mean that all marriages would be performed according to civil and lawful authority (from which the Church would voluntarily withdraw) and that only sealing would be performed in the temple.  So I ponder if The L-rd is setting the table to preserve the ordinance of sealing without conflicting with changes to civil law.   Those that are rejoicing in such policy changes may not realize the winds that are causing the sails to be set differently are not signalling better times - but rather a widening of the gap separating the Saints of G-d from the world. 

The Traveler