Luke 22 and swords

Guest Mores

Guest Mores

I was looking just a bit ahead to Luke 22 and was surprised by something that I had not noticed in prior readings.

36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

37 For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end.

38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

-- Luke 22: 36-38

I'm not sure what is going on here.

• Some say that the "swords" Jesus referred to were "spiritual swords".
  • Some say this was instruction to defend themselves after His death.
  • Some say that it was only to fulfill a prophecy (mentioned in v.37).

I've read the arguments pro and con for each of these.  I'm not really seeing any of these as being a clear winner.

Edited by Mores

Talmage only spends one paragraph on this in his book, Jesus the Christ. https://www.lds.org/manual/jesus-the-christ/chapter-33?lang=eng

I lean more toward the spiritual swords idea. Maybe something along the lines of the armor of God from Ephesians 6--the sword of the Spirit.

Guest Mores
19 hours ago, Connie said:

Talmage only spends one paragraph on this in his book, Jesus the Christ. https://www.lds.org/manual/jesus-the-christ/chapter-33?lang=eng

I lean more toward the spiritual swords idea. Maybe something along the lines of the armor of God from Ephesians 6--the sword of the Spirit.

Thanks.  You're right.  Talmage doesn't really say much about it at all.