The Justice League Movie

unixknight

5 hours ago, Fether said:

He has every super power one would ever need. Invincible, Super speed, flight, laser vision, frost breath, super strength, super hearing, time travel, x-ray vision and he is perfectly good.

Applicable Studio C videos must be posted. I'm sure that's in the forum rules somewhere.

On 5/8/2019 at 9:11 AM, unixknight said:

Yeah, finally saw it.  Yeah, I know it's been out a while.

It was boring, drab and derivative.  I think the Justice League movie is the epitome of what's wrong with this last iteration of the DCU.  Its flaws are the flaws of the DCEU in general, and it's not surprising that there won't be any more DCEU films from this iteration.  

*Spoilers, duh.*

• The DC comic book universe has had a light, optimistic, hopeful tone.  Its heroes tend to be noble, virtuous and positive.  Think of the traditional portrayal of Superman, Wonder Woman, Hawk & Dove, etc.  There were exceptions, of course... Most notably Batman... but Batman's darkness gave a narrative balance to the brighter tone of the other Justice League members that was really good.  This version of the DCEU went full dark and gritty on *all* of the characters.  Wonder Woman was less so, but then, she also  had the most popular (and best made) film in the DCEU.  So here, Warner Brothers was trying to compete with Marvel by not letting the DC tone be the DC tone.  You know, the one that has had it successfully competing with Marvel for many decades?
  • The Justice League was trying to be the Avengers.  Specifically, the first Avengers movie.  Disagree?  Tell me where you've heard this plot synopsis before:  A team of separate superheroes join forces, somewhat reluctantly, to fight off a Big Bad villain who invades the Earth form another world, bringing an alien army with him  to acquire a cube shaped plot MacGuffin.  Along the way, an even bigger, more powerful villain is hinted at.
  • They rushed it.  By the time the MCU had The Avengers, it already had movies to introduce Thor, Iron Man, the Hulk and Captain America.  Each of these characters was very true to their traditional comic book selves and the real challenge in The Avengers was to see if these different characters could successfully be written into one movie.  The Avengers was an experiment, and a very successful one.  Justice League was rushed, with only two characters having already had their own movie in which they were fleshed out and introduced.  The other characters felt like accessories.  They didn't invest the time to introduce these characters and get the audience to care about them before shoving them into a story that was meant for us to care about them just because we're told to.
  • Aquaman is a jerk.  He has zero charisma and actually doesn't want to be liked by anybody.  I don't blame the actor for this.  Jason Momoa is very charismatic and he can really be likeable even when he's playing a rough character.  He was wasted in this film.  Add to this that Aquaman's character is just hard to write for, by virtue of his powers.  He's an aquatic character who can do cool aquatic things fighting a battle in this movie somewhere in the middle of the largest continent on the planet.  The climax of the film should have taken place in Atlantis.  There was already a cube there anyway.  Just rearrange the order in which Steppenwolf acquires the cubes and you can also eliminate the pointless battle in Atlantis early in the film.
  • The Flash/Barry Allen is hard to connect with.  He's like the teenage kid that no teenage kids will be able to relate to, because he doesn't act like a teenage kid.  (For a primer on how to do it right, see how Marvel is handling Spider-Man.)  At least there was a modicum of friendly chemistry between him and Cyborg, but Cyborg wasn't very relatable either.
  • The action scenes were boring because we don't care about them.  We know how each and every one of the action sequences is going to end even if we'd gotten no spoilers at all.  
  • Last but not least, Warner Brothers was trying to launch a whole new superhero movie franchise right as superhero movie fatigue was beginning to set in.  These guys get millions of dollars to make these decisions.  I do not understand this.

So it was boring.  It felt pointless, and it kept comparing itself to the Avengers.  

We need Richard Donner and Christopher Nolan back.

You could have gone your whole life without watching it. You do realize that you will never get that time back, right?

I am so sorry that this happened to you and I hope you can eventually forget the entire movie at some point in the future. This kind of trauma can last for decades.

Just now, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

You could have gone your whole life without watching it. You do realize that you will never get that time back, right?

I am so sorry that this happened to you and I hope you can eventually forget the entire movie at some point in the future. This kind of trauma can last for decades.

I need therapy ;)