How to Journal When You HATE Journaling

I've loved to write all my life. (Okay, to be honest, I know I just used that phrase, but I've never understood it — it's not like I came out of the womb and was like, "Someone hand me a pencil, STAT!" But in any case, you get the gist.) As an elementary schooler, I filled notebooks with stories about my favorite Pokemon, Charmander, almost burning down my house and tales about my imaginary pet dolphin, Cadoshe — and no, I don't have any idea where that name came from. Clearly, my imagination knew no bounds. But even though I love to write, the one thing I have NEVER enjoyed doing is (*embarrassedly mutters*) journaling. This year, though, I made a goal to journal more often — and although I'm still not an avid journal-keeper by any means, I've been a little better. Really, it all came down to simply learning what works for me — and what works for me may not work for you! So I've compiled this...

View the full article

Guest LiterateParakeet

Fun article. I typically journal in my planner...my bullet journal. 

A game changer for me was reading The Artist's Way and being introduced to the idea of journaling as a form of "brain dump". I realized with that..the main point of journaling is to help me focus my thoughts, learn from my experiences etc. I used to write for my posterity and wonder if they would read it. Now I write for me. And the funny thing is because my writing is more authentic now, I think the likelihood that someone will actually read it has increased. 

Guest Mores

Before I read the article I was thinking: How do I do something I hate doing?  Simple.  Don't do it.

But reading the article was helpful.  Good tips.