Is Having the Constant Companionship of the Holy Spirit the Same as Feeling the Spirit 24/7?

clbent04

Is having the constant companionship of the Holy Spirit the same as feeling the Spirit 24/7? 

I've notably felt the Spirit maybe 1,000 times in my life which would equate to a very small fraction of my 33 years here.

I know many of you are more spiritual than I, so I would be curious to know if you spiritually feel the accompaniment of the Holy Spirit at all times, specifically the warm, radiating presence of the Holy Spirit that undeniably testifies of truth and light.

Edited by clbent04

1 hour ago, clbent04 said:

Is having the constant companionship of the Holy Spirit the same as feeling the Spirit 24/7?

No. Having the constant companionship of the Holy Spirit is a direct equation. Worthiness = companionship. "Feelings" on the other hand, are tied into a myriad of different things. Not "feeling" the Spirit does not mean the Spirit is not with us if we are worthy.

Now what qualifies as "worthy" is a different, complicated question.

6 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Not "feeling" the Spirit does not mean the Spirit is not with us if we are worthy.

Yes. In fact, the human brain has evolved, for survival purposes, to tune out the constant sensations in our life and devote the limited awareness resources to anomalies. Rarely are we conscious of the fairly constant and relatively clean air around us, though that doesn't mean that it isn't there.  However, when there is an anomaly, like finding that relatively clean air displaced by dense smoke and/or substantial impurities and repugnant odors, we become acutely aware. The same is true for extreme changes in temperature. 

Likewise, we tend to only become aware of the constant companionship of the Holy Spirit when we lose the companionship through the smoke and impurities and stench of sin or when the Spirit heats up or sounds louder above its gentle warmth and near silent whispers. (Jn 3:8, Act 2:1-4)

Not coincidentally, the  Hebrew and Greek words for spirit also mean "wind or "breath"--see HERE.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

The companionship of the holy ghost isn't a feeling, it's much deeper and more subtle than that. It's like following a trail surrounded by fog, but when you reach the end of the trail you find yourself at the pinnacle of a high mountain. Whereas not following the trail, you find yourself stuck in a swamp, oblivious that there's a mountain at all.

15 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

No. Having the constant companionship of the Holy Spirit is a direct equation. Worthiness = companionship. "Feelings" on the other hand, are tied into a myriad of different things. Not "feeling" the Spirit does not mean the Spirit is not with us if we are worthy.

Now what qualifies as "worthy" is a different, complicated question.

I've always thought "the fruit of the Spirit" is synonymous with the feelings you are supposed to have when the Holy Spirit accompanies you with the principal feelings being love, joy and peace.  How do you interpret Galatians 5:22-23 in relation to having the constant companionship of the Holy Spirit?  

Galatians 5:22-23 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law"

Does it seem possible that Joseph Smith or even any General Authorities today experience the loving, joyful, and peaceful feelings of the Holy Spirit 24/7?  These men are the most fit, spiritual body builders on Earth.  They are basically like a bunch of Arnold Schwarzenegger's in his physical prime with how much closer they are to the Spirit compared to average members in the Church. Having observed them personally makes me think it's possible they are continually and conscientiously feeling the fruits of the Holy Spirit 24/7.

45 minutes ago, clbent04 said:

How do you interpret Galatians 5:22-23 in relation to having the constant companionship of the Holy Spirit?  

Galatians 5:22-23 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law"

I interpret it to be an end goal that we work towards and harvest as fruit after enduring to the end. The spirit is the food, soil, water, sunlight, etc. But the fruit only grows upon maturity whereupon it can be harvested. It's not some magic spell that you're given the gift of the Holy Ghost and suddenly you have perfect joy, peace, longsuffering, etc. in your personality. But as the Spirit works on (feeds) your spirit throughout your life you grow in these things and they become the fruit of your faith and obedience and the Spirit's attendance in accordance therewith.

Does it seem possible that Joseph Smith or even any General Authorities today experience the loving, joyful, and peaceful feelings of the Holy Spirit 24/7?  

No. They are fallen mortal men and have fallen mortal feelings of anger, frustrations, stress, jealousy, and all that stuff. By the time they're older they, after a lifetime of effort, are hopefully better at controlling these things and having more of the good feelings in their life. But they are not perfect.

They are basically like a bunch of Arnold Schwarzenegger's in his physical prime with how much closer they are to the Spirit compared to average members in the Church. 

Are you under the impression that Arnold, in his prime, never got sick, never felt sore, never had a less than perfect workout, etc?

Having observed them personally makes me think it's possible they are continually and conscientiously feeling the fruits of the Holy Spirit 24/7.

Hmm. I guess this is what's meant when I hear people talk about putting GA's on an unrealistic pedestal.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

18 hours ago, clbent04 said:

My gut-level reaction is that, yes, that is exactly what it means.

It's possibly worth noting that the Savior himself was left alone at one point. Don't know if that means anything or not.

I would say Yes and No depending on how you are defining "feeling" the Spirit 24/7. If we truly have the companionship of the Holy Ghost, then yes it will be with us 24/7; however, do we have to "feel" the Spirit 24/7 in order for us to know the Holy Spirit is our constant companion?

Also remember that some of what we call "feelings" are actually actions. Love is the feeling from our actions. If we are acting 24/7 like God, then obviously we will feel of his fruit 24/7.

In light of this, I like what Elder Bednar said once paraphrased, "We should be more aware of when the Holy Spirit leaves us." I like this mentality. Then we know for sure when our actions are not in line with God because the Holy Ghost is no longer with us.

I've notably felt the Spirit maybe 1,000 times in my life which would equate to a very small fraction of my 33 years here.

Caution on placing any number of times pertaining to how often you have felt the Spirit; although, if you truly have and know this that is remarkable. I wonder how many times the Spirit has called, I felt, but was past feeling? What I am saying, we feel the Spirit, or the Spirit reaches out more than you think, the question is are we listening or past feeling.

In my over 40 years of life, I couldn't even begin to put a number on how many times the Spirit has been felt.

I know many of you are more spiritual than I, so I would be curious to know if you spiritually feel the accompaniment of the Holy Spirit at all times, specifically the warm, radiating presence of the Holy Spirit that undeniably testifies of truth and light.

No. I am honestly not familiar with this radiating presence you speak of. The Spirit to me has been more along the lines of Doctrine and Covenants 8:2-3, rather than 9:8-9.

20 minutes ago, Anddenex said:

Caution on placing any number of times pertaining to how often you have felt the Spirit;

I agree. I used the number 1,000 more as an arbitrary number to illustrate a point saying even if I've conscientiously experienced the Holy Spirit that many times in my life, it's still a small fraction of my life here on Earth.  So I'm just trying gauge myself to think how far away I am at truly allowing the Holy Spirit to constantly abide with me. 

9 minutes ago, clbent04 said:

So I'm just trying gauge myself to think how far away I am at truly allowing the Holy Spirit to constantly abide with me. 

You and me both, and we must remember though in whom we trust while gauging for even Nephi felt the words, "Oh wretched man that I am."

Edited by Anddenex

1 hour ago, Anddenex said:

No. I am honestly not familiar with this radiating presence you speak of. The Spirit to me has been more along the lines of Doctrine and Covenants 8:2-3, rather than 9:8-9.

@Anddenex If you made a concerted effort, do you think you could experience the Holy Spirit as described in Doctrine and Covenants 9:8? "But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right." 

I think everyone can receive answer to truth and light through this form of experiencing your bosom burning. As of this last month, I've been on a mission to get a burning-bosom-answer to know if Jesus Christ is the Savior, if the Book of Mormon is true, and if Joseph Smith was a prophet.

What I don't know, however, is how much obedience, fervency in prayer, sincerity, or faith in Jesus Christ must be mustered in order to receive the Holy Spirit in this fashion upon specifically praying for an answer.  I've experienced this burning bosom before, but never through prayer.  

This last Friday, for example, I prayed for an hour to know these things for myself. I prayed as sincerely as I could. I concluded praying not having received an answer and was left thinking that I must be lacking in faith in Jesus Christ, that I am not sufficiently humble, that I need to pray with greater fervency and so forth.  And I know it's probably those impressions that I was left with afterwards that were an answer in itself as a precursor I need to focus on before receiving these spiritual truths.

I know God will answer me by way of being visited by the Holy Spirit and experiencing a burning in my bosom, but I just don't know how far away I am from that happening.

Edited by clbent04

46 minutes ago, clbent04 said:

@Anddenex If you made a concerted effort, do you think you could experience the Holy Spirit as described in Doctrine and Covenants 9:8? "But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right." 

As to my knowledge I have made concerted effort but have never felt this burning in my bosom as others have described it. For some reason, known to God (at this moment), this is not how he teaches me truth. In some ways this has been good, because when Anti-Mormons tried to confront and make fun of the burning in the bosom I responded with, "I don't know what you are talking about..." It was funny to see them back track, because their point fully denied.

I think everyone can receive answer to truth and light through this form of experiencing your bosom burning. As of this last month, I've been on a mission to get a burning-bosom-answer to know if Jesus Christ is the Savior, if the Book of Mormon is true, and if Joseph Smith was a prophet.

Yes, I agree with this sentiment. I simply have not felt it as people have described who have. My father joined the Church due to a burning in the bosom and a complete love for his fellowmen while experiencing the Holy Spirit witness truth.

That's wonderful and awesome. May you then receive what you request from our Father in heaven according to his will and time.

What I don't know, however, is how much obedience, fervency in prayer, sincerity, or faith in Jesus Christ must be mustered in order to receive the Holy Spirit in this fashion upon specifically praying for an answer.  I've experienced this burning bosom before, but never through prayer.  

I don't either. I am not sure this will work for everyone but here is a thought for you. I was reading an Ensign and it was a Seventy who was speaking. He said that he also had never felt this burning in the bosom and felt as a GA he needed to have this experience.

He decided to read the whole Book of Mormon in one night. He did so, he knelt down, and bore witness of God's love and witness. I, honestly, don't think I could read any book in one day. I get distracted and bored to quickly.

This last Friday, for example, I prayed for an hour to know these things for myself. I prayed as sincerely as I could. I concluded praying not having received an answer and was left thinking that I must be lacking in faith in Jesus Christ, that I am not sufficiently humble, that I need to pray with greater fervency and so forth.  And I know it's probably those impressions that I was left with afterwards that were an answer in itself as a precursor I need to focus on to receive these spiritual truths.

I know God will answer me by way of being visited by the Holy Spirit and experiencing a burning in my bosom, but I just don't know how far away I am from that happening.

In my college years, I went up the mountain after fasting and praying in hopes to receive such or something else to further my testimony. It was an hour and a half prayer with no response. My conclusion was simply it was not the Lord's will for reasons known to him. I can think of other possibilities, but I am fine with feeling it wasn't the Lord's will at that time.

I would recommend then praying for the gift of the Spirit to know by the Holy Ghost (as I think that gift is part of burning in the bosom). There are other methods God makes knowledge clear, but if any gift that would help that gift would be it.

Excellent, the first step is believing God will answer your prayer. :)

Edited by Anddenex

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 4:45 PM, clbent04 said:

Yes.

However, it can be stronger or lesser depending on circumstances.

Also, though you have truth in the spirit, it can also talk (literally talk) to you and guide you at times to make correct choices or even, choices that help in life or that keep you safe or have other such ramifications.

Edited by JohnsonJones

Guest Mores
On 5/13/2019 at 5:45 PM, clbent04 said:

That would be the general idea.  But the practical application is more complicated than that.  The "companionship" is not about personal presence.  And I may go so far as to say it isn't even about feeling the "Power of the Holy Ghost" 24/7.  It is more akin to a relationship.

Even in the most happy marriages, there are times when disagreements arise.  But some marriages have bigger fights than others.  Some have them more often than others.  They all have a relationship.  But how healthy is that relationship?

Some are dysfunctional.  Many nowadays end up in divorce.

I'd think of the "companionship" more like the health of the relationship.  The "Power of the Holy Ghost" that is felt prior to "receiving the Holy Ghost" is like a co-worker that you get along with or friendship.  Actually receiving the Holy Ghost and having his "constant companionship" is more like a marriage.

Edited by Mores

On 5/14/2019 at 12:14 AM, LePeel said:

The companionship of the holy ghost isn't a feeling, it's much deeper and more subtle than that. It's like following a trail surrounded by fog, but when you reach the end of the trail you find yourself at the pinnacle of a high mountain. Whereas not following the trail, you find yourself stuck in a swamp, oblivious that there's a mountain at all.

Sensation may be a better word than feeling. Those Christians who try to bash the lds process of Receiving a witness by the spirit will conflate typical feelings with what we describe as feeling the spirit. Of course this is a crafty lie, because there is no feeling that can be confused with the true sensation of the Holy Spirit witnessing to our spirit. And, of course that's by design. Faith comes first then the witness and only those who recognize that witness can truly see eye to eye.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2019 at 10:09 AM, Vort said:

My gut-level reaction is that, yes, that is exactly what it means.

It's possibly worth noting that the Savior himself was left alone at one point. Don't know if that means anything or not.

I like that you agree because that is my gut-level reaction too. It would be somewhat disheartening to me if we weren't meant to feel the constant companionship of the Holy Spirit regardless of whether it's something possible to achieve in this life. Who wouldn't want that feeling with them forever and always?

Edited by clbent04

7 minutes ago, clbent04 said:

I like that you agree because that is my gut-level reaction too. It would be somewhat disheartening to me if we weren't meant to feel the constant companionship of the Holy Spirit regardless of whether it's something possible to achieve in this life. Who wouldn't want that feeling with them forever and always?

That's an interesting idea. When exalted is the companionship of the Holy Spirit really in play? Whereas exalted beings will have all things, all power, all knowledge, etc.?

16 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

That's an interesting idea. When exalted is the companionship of the Holy Spirit really in play? Whereas exalted beings will have all things, all power, all knowledge, etc.?

Good questions. I suppose being in the presence of the Father and the Son might replace the accompaniment of the Holy Spirit, but I imagine however the Lord lift's us up in exaltation that it would be accompanied with a permanent feeling instilled within us by God of peace and love from that point forward (or so I hope).

Edited by clbent04