I Don’t Know Why Polygamy Happened, but I Do Know This

Polygamy: The word nobody likes talking about, but also the controversial subject from the history of the Church that there's really no getting around. Each member has to find their own way to come to terms with it. Maybe the most frustrating question is: Why? Why did God command Joseph Smith to institute a practice that is so repugnant to our moral sensibilities? As I've tried to expand my own understanding of our history I've come to one conclusion. I don't fully understand why polygamy had to happen, but I do know that Joseph Smith wasn't just trying to sleep around. I'm sorry if that sounds crude, but really, that's what it comes down to for most people, isn't it? Either polygamy was a commandment from God, or Joseph Smith was abusing his authority to satisfy his own desires. The latter is the initial reaction for many non-believers. Even for many members, it's the concern hiding underneath their questions about polygamy. I'm not much bothered by that allegation anymore, and...

View the full article

Guest Mores

Honestly, I still don't understand why this is a controversial topic.  We do what God commands.  It's as simple as that.  Nothing more, nothing less.

That's the way I see it anyway.