Where is Carborendum?

clbent04

Guest MormonGator
37 minutes ago, clbent04 said:

Seriously, guys, where is Carb?

He just needed a break. He'd be welcomed back with open arms, that's for sure.

Carb is a very passionate, intelligent and spiritual individual. I enjoy his comments and participation.
Over the years I've been impressed/mesmerized by the amount of time some members must be putting into their posts. Both the quantity and voluminous content inside of each post makes me wonder how they have time to do anything else in the day besides post. Like many others here, Carb is a lengthy high volume producer in my opinion. If he is on a break, it is probably a good thing. He has a business and big family to look after. In addition he needs to set aside ample time for the consumption of his favored Kimchi.

Best wishes Carb!
You too @zil

Guest Mores
1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

You know, for a while there, I thought Carb left and came back as @Mores.

Well, if he liked kim chee, I'm guessing he served his mission in Korea.  Right?  I didn't go to Korea for my mission, if that helps.

5 minutes ago, Mores said:

Well, if he liked kim chee, I'm guessing he served his mission in Korea.  Right?  I didn't go to Korea for my mission, if that helps.

Carb is of the Asian persuasion.

Edited by clbent04

Guest Mores
2 minutes ago, clbent04 said:

Carb is of the Asian persuasion.

This comment really struck me as odd.  Took me a minute to process it.  What does that mean anyway?  Pursuasion?  Did someone persuade him to be Asian? I know what it's supposed to mean.  But it is really an odd statement isn't it?

Regardless, if he thinks like me and posts like me, I dislike him already.

13 minutes ago, Mores said:

He's a Korean-American.  Are you a Korean-American?  :D

I'm thinking it was just a witty turn of a phrase, letting you know that kimchee liking isn't something Carb picked up from some mission to Korea, it's something he picked up from his own culture. 

I figure you might be reading too much into the word "persuasion".  

If someone said "Pat isn't here any more", and you said "I didn't know Pat left, where did he go?", and someone else said "Pat is of the female persuasion", it would be similar.  (clbent can sure correct me if I'm wrong.)

15 minutes ago, Mores said:

This comment really struck me as odd.  Took me a minute to process it.  What does that mean anyway?  Pursuasion?  Did someone persuade him to be Asian? I know what it's supposed to mean.  But it is really an odd statement isn't it?

Regardless, if he thinks like me and posts like me, I dislike him already.

More odd you assume the guy likes kimchi by assuming he served a mission in Korea.  Do I have to serve a mission in Mexico to like tacos?

Guest Mores
13 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

I'm thinking it was just a witty turn of a phrase, letting you know that kimchee liking isn't something Carb picked up from some mission to Korea, it's something he picked up from his own culture. 

I figure you might be reading too much into the word "persuasion".  

If someone said "Pat isn't here any more", and you said "I didn't know Pat left, where did he go?", and someone else said "Pat is of the female persuasion", it would be similar.  (clbent can sure correct me if I'm wrong.)

Yeah, I'm familiar with the phrase.  But for some reason, in this context, with my current mindset, it just sounded really weird, you know?

3 minutes ago, clbent04 said:

More odd you assume the guy likes kimchi by assuming he served a mission in Korea.  Do I have to serve a mission in Mexico to like tacos?

To be fair, how many people who have not spent time in Korea actually enjoy eating fermented cabbage?

Guest Mores
4 minutes ago, clbent04 said:

Well, obviously, if one is born into the culture, that is another thing.  At the time, it didn't enter my mind.

But specifically with regard to kimchee, I've never known anyone who actually liked it who wasn't inundated with it either through a mission or through military or what not.  It's different for other foreign foods.

4 minutes ago, Mores said:

Well, obviously, if one is born into the culture, that is another thing.  At the time, it didn't enter my mind.

But specifically with regard to kimchee, I've never known anyone who actually liked it who wasn't inundated with it either through a mission or through military or what not.  It's different for other foreign foods.

To your point, I hate the stuff

Guest Mores
13 minutes ago, Vort said:

To be fair, how many people who have not spent time in Korea actually enjoy eating fermented cabbage?

Well, there's the Germans.

Thinking about this thread, it occurred to me that, while I have been to France, I developed a taste for soft (stinky) cheeses such as Münster long before I ever set foot in France. So I am sure some non-Koreans who have never been to east Asia have developed a taste for kimchee, but I doubt it's a common thing.

(And that taste for soft cheeses did not develop while I was on my mission in Italy; Italians like hard cheeses like pecorino and parmesan, bland cheeses like provolone, and of course mozzarella, which they don't even consider a cheese. But soft, stinky cheeses are more French and northern European.)

Guest Mores
2 minutes ago, Vort said:

Thinking about this thread, it occurred to me that, while I have been to France, I developed a taste for soft (stinky) cheeses such as Münster long before I ever set foot in France. So I am sure some non-Koreans who have never been to east Asia have developed a taste for kimchee, but I doubt it's a common thing.

(And that taste for soft cheeses did not develop while I was on my mission in Italy; Italians like hard cheeses like pecorino and parmesan, bland cheeses like provolone, and of course mozzarella, which they don't even consider a cheese. But soft, stinky cheeses are more French and northern European.)

What a coincidence!  Just this last weekend, I came across a youtube video that proclaimed that if you're going to France, you're going to have to have their cheese.  I never heard of that before.  What is it with the French and cheese?

28 minutes ago, Mores said:

What a coincidence!  Just this last weekend, I came across a youtube video that proclaimed that if you're going to France, you're going to have to have their cheese.  I never heard of that before.  What is it with the French and cheese?

Northern Europeans and some east Asians often keep producing lactase into adulthood, while most of the world's population doesn't produce lactase past early childhood. Thus, most people are "lactose-intolerant", a multisyllabic word meaning "normal".

The Gauls and other northern Europeans must have had a distinct survival advantage by consuming milk from large mammals such as cattle, even into adulthood. The development of cheese would have been a natural, albeit lengthy and convoluted, outgrowth of drinking milk in significant quantities and trying to keep it good. Same must be true for some east Asian ancestral populations. I expect a similar process accounts for the development of sauerkraut and kimchee.

I'm sure there are doctoral dissertations to be written on the subject. Probably already have been written, long ago.

I have to admit I like Kimchi. My new stepfather (recently married my mom) served his mission in South Korea and I tried Kimchi for the first time when he served us a Korean dish. Delicious! But then I like Sauerkraut and while certainly somewhat different, there are definitely some similarities too.

Guest Mores
10 minutes ago, Vort said:

Northern Europeans and some east Asians often keep producing lactase into adulthood, while most of the world's population doesn't produce lactase past early childhood. Thus, most people are "lactose-intolerant", a multisyllabic word meaning "normal".

It just occurred to me there is no milk or dairy in any Asian cuisine I'm aware of.  The closest thing to any dairy product is tofu.  But that is certainly not a dairy product.

I just looked this up.

Lactose intolerance in infancy resulting from congenital lactase deficiency is a rare disorder. Its incidence is unknown. This condition is most common in Finland, where it affects an estimated 1 in 60,000 newborns.

Approximately 65 percent of the human population has a reduced ability to digest lactose after infancy. Lactose intolerance in adulthood is most prevalent in people of East Asian descent, affecting more than 90 percent of adults in some of these communities. Lactose intolerance is also very common in people of West African, Arab, Jewish, Greek, and Italian descent.

The prevalence of lactose intolerance is lowest in populations with a long history of dependence on unfermented milk products as an important food source. For example, only about 5 percent of people of Northern European descent are lactose intolerant.

So, Northern Europeans I can see.  But East Asians?

But, your assessment that lactose intolerance is actually a more common condition than lactose tolerant was a surprise to me.  I thought it was a rarity.  Apparently I was wrong.

Edited by Mores

Guest Mores
1 minute ago, Midwest LDS said:

I have to admit I like Kimchi. My new stepfather (recently married my mom) served his mission in South Korea and I tried Kimchi for the first time when he served us a Korean dish. Delicious! But then I like Sauerkraut and while certainly somewhat different, there are definitely some similarities too.

I only like kraut on a polish dog or similar sausage.  I simply cannot stand it in any other setting. But to each his own.  Just don't ask me to eat it.

This is becoming quite the threadjack.

Edited by Mores

2 minutes ago, Mores said:

I only like kraut on a polish dog or similar sausage.  I simply cannot stand it in any other setting. But to each his own.  Just don't ask me to eat it.

This is becoming quite the threadjack.

Yeah a good polish dog is scrumptious (big sausage fan too) but I get it, sauerkraut and kimchi are definitely not for everyone.

And to get the topic back on track, I miss Carb too his posts were always so interesting. 

Edited by Midwest LDS