Neuro's seitch for fremen fanboys

NeuroTypical

On 8/16/2019 at 2:27 PM, Traveler said:

Initially I liked the first Dune book - but I was younger.  As I became older I have become more disappointed in science fiction because there has become an overabundance of fiction and an alarming ignorance of science.

Here is an interesting thought for science fiction.  What the earth thinks is a first contact with a super intelligent interstellar society with nothing but benevolent intentions but then comes to realize that they are coming to earth to destroy all the wicked and preserve the righteous and how they distinguish between the two does not quite fit with the human paradigm.

The Traveler

This was loosely what the movie Knowing was about.

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

Yes.   Here's the actual trailer - hot off the presses:

I'm not looking forward to it.  It seemed like they wanted to take Dune and transform  it into a science fiction movie full of lots of battles and noise and moody rock music.  Kinda like a sci-fi movie franchise whose name eludes me at the moment...

Edited by Carborendum

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

I'm not looking forward to it.  It seemed like they wanted to take Dune and transform  it into a science fiction movie full of lots of battles and noise and moody rock music.  

The multi-decadelong fanboys like me will compare it against previous attempts.  This trailer does several things for me:
- They got ornithopters right!  Dragonfly wings!  I'm in heaven.
- The music is a remake of Pink Floyd's Eclipse.  The never-made Jodorowsky's attempt at Dune, was planning to approach Pink Floyd for the soundtrack.  All the spice and spice trances and spice visions and spice consciousness transformations seem to demand nothing less.  
- I remember spending the '80's and '90's, sad that human technology just would never progress enough to be able to do justice to the Lord of the Rings.  Then computer CGI and Peter Jackson gave us the gift of ten thousand orcs laying siege to Minas Tirinth.   Watching this trailer and seeing the worm devour the spice harvester, watching the shields, the look of the Sardukar troops, well, I'm hopeful.

I'm tired of being the underdog, hoping for a fandom boost.  Now, if they can just get Feyd's outfit right...

DuneFeydBellbottoms.thumb.png.cab42723d64e08e314a9b1bfd88e27bc.png

16 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

I'm tired of being the underdog, hoping for a fandom boost.

You're not the only one. I'm super excited about the movie for all the reasons you mentioned. Now if they can just get a cameo with Patrick Stewart charging into battle holding a pug😉......

Edited by Midwest LDS

• pam featured this topic
  • pam unfeatured this topic
  • 11 months later...

T minus about 1 month and counting. I'm seeing 22 October as the release date. Is anyone thinking of trying to catch it opening night/weekend to avoid any chance at spoilers? Or is it better to wait a couple of weekends and see what the overall reaction is?

As for the books, my daughter decided that her audiobook files were corrupted, so I am reading the books to her. We just finished Dune Messiah (she was a bit broken up at the death of Chani and the "death" of Paul). She keeps openly wondering how Leto becomes a sandworm and the God Emporer, but I am trying not to give any spoilers away. It's been fun to share the experience, though.

9 minutes ago, MrShorty said:

Is anyone thinking of trying to catch it opening night/weekend to avoid any chance at spoilers? Or is it better to wait a couple of weekends and see what the overall reaction is?

The various Facebook groups are full of people who have seen early previews. Overwhelmingly positive so far. I’ve told my family will be seeing the opening weekend, or I will be taking their water for the tribe.

“As for the books, my daughter decided that her audiobook files were corrupted, so I am reading the books to her.” 

Sorry to hear about the stone-burner accident, but she is wise to avoid Tleilaxu eyes.

Edited by NeuroTypical

Wow, I'm not sure how I didn't see this thread until now. Dune is one of my favorite movies and book series. I was impressed with the last two books by the son, but you could tell it wasn't Frank writing the story. I also felt like the books would have been different if Frank wrote (assuming there were actually notes in a safe deposit box).

I really enjoyed the TV series with James McAvoy as Leto II.

However, I am really hoping with the cast of Dune, for the new movie coming, that this isn't going to be a bust.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2023 at 11:53 AM, NeuroTypical said:

Yay!  Breaking news from Thirdhour!  

Looking forward to it.    Didn't see Alia though...

I'm trying to remember. But I don't recall that she had much of a presence in book 1.  Did she?

I know she was born.  But I'm having trouble remembering any significant contribution to the plot until book 2.

In book 1, she is born prescient, speaking within seconds of being born.  If I remember correctly, book 2 shows her as a teenager.  Pretty hard to find a better tragic character that surpasses Alia in tragic tragedy.  I'm looking forward to seeing the next movie, to see if they do anything with her.

On 5/25/2023 at 8:18 PM, NeuroTypical said:

In book 1, she is born prescient, speaking within seconds of being born.  If I remember correctly, book 2 shows her as a teenager.  Pretty hard to find a better tragic character that surpasses Alia in tragic tragedy.  I'm looking forward to seeing the next movie, to see if they do anything with her.

I remember her being pre-born (that was the term to indicate that she was sentient while in the womb).  And, yes, she was prescient from birth.  And, yes, very tragic tragedy (as opposed to the happy tragedies we hear so much about :) ). But did she actually do anything for the plot in book 1?

Edited by Carborendum

• 5 weeks later...

It just occurred to me to lookup the actor who plays Jessica.  I knew she looked familiar.  But when I read the name, it was not familiar to me.

Yes, I'd seen her on Mission Impossible.  But the familiarity was that she looks a lot like Gabrielle Anwar (Burn Notice).

So, lo! and behold, she is not the same actress, but a celebrity doppelganger.

At the risk of derailing something, I recently decided to revisit another old sci-fi favorite of mine -- Asimov's Foundation series. In getting started, I found something at Wikipedia written by a Tim O'Reilly that claims, "Dune is clearly a commentary on the Foundation trilogy. Herbert has taken a look at the same imaginative situation that provoked Asimov's classic—the decay of a galactic empire—and restated it in a way that draws on different assumptions and suggests radically different conclusions. The twist he has introduced into Dune is that the Mule, not the Foundation, is his hero."

Just thought this an interesting way that a couple of my favorite old sci-fi classics are linked.

Wikipedia link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_series

Edited by MrShorty