Sign in to follow this  
NeuroTypical

Neuro's seitch for fremen fanboys

3 hours ago, mirkwood said:

Dune.  Hated it.

I love the books, and have giggled and groaned at the past ham-fisted attempts to make movies out of them.

Got my fingers crossed that Dune 2020 will do better.  It shows promise.

On 8/16/2019 at 2:27 PM, Traveler said:

Initially I liked the first Dune book - but I was younger.  As I became older I have become more disappointed in science fiction because there has become an overabundance of fiction and an alarming ignorance of science.

Here is an interesting thought for science fiction.  What the earth thinks is a first contact with a super intelligent interstellar society with nothing but benevolent intentions but then comes to realize that they are coming to earth to destroy all the wicked and preserve the righteous and how they distinguish between the two does not quite fit with the human paradigm.

The Traveler

This was loosely what the movie Knowing was about.

1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

Yes.   Here's the actual trailer - hot off the presses:

I'm not looking forward to it.  It seemed like they wanted to take Dune and transform  it into a science fiction movie full of lots of battles and noise and moody rock music.  Kinda like a sci-fi movie franchise whose name eludes me at the moment...

Edited by Carborendum

1 hour ago, Carborendum said:

I'm not looking forward to it.  It seemed like they wanted to take Dune and transform  it into a science fiction movie full of lots of battles and noise and moody rock music.  

The multi-decadelong fanboys like me will compare it against previous attempts.  This trailer does several things for me:
- They got ornithopters right!  Dragonfly wings!  I'm in heaven.
- The music is a remake of Pink Floyd's Eclipse.  The never-made Jodorowsky's attempt at Dune, was planning to approach Pink Floyd for the soundtrack.  All the spice and spice trances and spice visions and spice consciousness transformations seem to demand nothing less.  
- I remember spending the '80's and '90's, sad that human technology just would never progress enough to be able to do justice to the Lord of the Rings.  Then computer CGI and Peter Jackson gave us the gift of ten thousand orcs laying siege to Minas Tirinth.   Watching this trailer and seeing the worm devour the spice harvester, watching the shields, the look of the Sardukar troops, well, I'm hopeful.

I'm tired of being the underdog, hoping for a fandom boost.  Now, if they can just get Feyd's outfit right...

DuneFeydBellbottoms.thumb.png.cab42723d64e08e314a9b1bfd88e27bc.png

16 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

I'm tired of being the underdog, hoping for a fandom boost.

You're not the only one. I'm super excited about the movie for all the reasons you mentioned. Now if they can just get a cameo with Patrick Stewart charging into battle holding a pug😉......

Edited by Midwest LDS