The purpose of life (Dunning-Kruger)

mikbone

Today I received a wonderful gift from the internet.

d2KCb43.png

I loved the graph so much that I had to review the original document.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download;jsessionid=50CB355D87CECF5348B7B5497FFB5DEC?doi=10.1.1.64.2655&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Some of my favorite passages from the study.  And be aware that the study was performed at the Cornell University psychology department, on its own undergrad students (Ivy League, 1470 average SAT score of entering freshmen)...

Not only do these people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices, but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it.  

It is one of the essential feature of such incompetence that the person so afflicted is incapable of knowing that he is incompetent.

Success and satisfaction depend on knowledge, wisdom, or savvy in knowing which rules to follow and which strategies to pursue. 

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement.

The failure to recognize that one has performed poorly will instead leave one to assume that one has performed well.  As a result, the incompetent will tend to grossly overestimate their skills and abilities. 

Moreover, because incompetent participants scored close to the bottom of the distribution, it was nearly impossible for them to underestimate their performance. 

It suggests that the way to make incompetent individuals realize their own incompetence is to make them competent. 

Once again, individuals scoring in the bottom quartile were oblivious to their poor performance.  

Thomas Gray was right: Ignorance is bliss - at least when it comes to assessments of one's own ability.

One would have thought negative feedback would have been inevitable at some point in their academic career.  So why had they not learned?  

Incompetent individuals may be unable to take full advantage of one particular kind of feedback: social comparison.  

These concepts can obviously be applied to the Gospel...

Perhaps one of the purposes of life is to displace Mt. Stupid from heaven to Earth.  

The importance of humility can not be over stressed. 

Pride is a sure sign of ignorance.

Negative feedback is a good thing. It helps us recognize our ignorance and may allow us to learn.

Edited by mikbone

On 5/15/2019 at 5:44 PM, mikbone said:

The importance of humility can not be over stressed.  

Amen to that.  This reminds me of Isaiah 64:6 - But we are all as an unclean
thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as
a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away

Thank you,

Gale