Anti-abortion bill in Alabama

Phineas

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, Scott said:

That's definitely not true:

Name one conservative group who boycotted Massachusetts over gay marriage. Or Vermont. Or NY. 

See, I'm pro choice and pro gay marriage. But I'm also fair and objective. I'm wonderful like that. Individual conservatives tend to jump up and down and threaten boycotts, but they never do. 

Guest Mores
51 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Name one conservative group who boycotted Massachusetts over gay marriage. Or Vermont. Or NY. 

See, I'm pro choice and pro gay marriage. But I'm also fair and objective. I'm wonderful like that. Individual conservatives tend to jump up and down and threaten boycotts, but they never do. 

Have liberals?  (honest question).

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, Mores said:

Have liberals?  (honest question).

They do too, but  in fairness it's probably as successful as when conservatives boycotted Beauty and the Beast because of the gay scene. So I guess conservatives do "boycott" but it's never successful. In fact, "boycott" isn't even the right word. Maybe "temper tantrum and hold my breath until I pass out because I'm a three year old who isn't getting my way"  works better. 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest Scott
1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

I don't know of any for that specific reason (though I didn't look very hard), but what I quoted was the following:

I find it hilariously funny that only liberals boycott states that pass laws they don't agree with.

There are plenty of state boycotts from conservatives.  

The boycott of Colorado was just one example.  That one was real and did have consequences.  

Facebook anyone?

https://www.facebook.com/BoycottNewYork/

https://www.facebook.com/BoycottCalifornia/

https://www.facebook.com/BoycottMaryland/

Others:

https://skinnyreporter.com/californiaboycott.html

https://www.weeklystandard.com/hugh-hewitt/boycott-vermont

How serious the ones above are though is something I don't know.  

PS, I only boycott Florida because I'm afraid of gators.  Mormon ones are OK.     

Edited by Scott

Guest MormonGator
7 minutes ago, Scott said:

I don't know of any for that specific reason (though I didn't look very hard), but what I quoted was the following:

I find it hilariously funny that only liberals boycott states that pass laws they don't agree with.

There are plenty of state boycotts from conservatives.  

The boycott of Colorado was just one example.  That one was real and did have consequences.  

Facebook anyone?

https://www.facebook.com/BoycottNewYork/

https://www.facebook.com/BoycottCalifornia/

https://www.facebook.com/BoycottMaryland/

Others:

https://skinnyreporter.com/californiaboycott.html

https://www.weeklystandard.com/hugh-hewitt/boycott-vermont

How serious the ones above are though is something I don't know.  

Name an established boycott of Vermont/NY/Massachusetts with the same power as Hollywood boycotting Georgia. We're not talking about 191 idiots who join a FB group.  

Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 12.48.38 PM.png

Edited by MormonGator

Guest Scott
8 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Name an established boycott of Vermont/NY/Massachusetts with the same power as Hollywood boycotting Georgia. We're not talking about 191 idiots who join a FB group. 

That's an entirely different question.  If it is about power,  then Hollywood would be more powerful than those groups.   Besides, while Hollywood is powerful, it is only powerful if you pay attention to them.  To be honest, if Hollywood wants to boycott my state or town, I wouldn't care too much.   Others would.   

What about the Colorado boycott I mentioned though?    I think it is a good example.

Besides, I think state wide boycotts are pretty dumb.   I have therefore decided that I am boycotting boycotts.  

Edited by Scott

Guest MormonGator
2 minutes ago, Scott said:

That's an entirely different question.  If it is about power,  then Hollywood would be more powerful than those groups.   Besides, while Hollywood is powerful, it is only powerful if you pay attention to them.  To be honest, if Hollywood wants to boycott my state or town, I wouldn't care too much.   Others would.   

What about the Colorado boycott I mentioned though?    I think it is a good example.

Besides, I think state wide boycotts are pretty dumb.   I have therefore decided that I am boycotting boycotts.  

Yup, we clearly see it differently. I stand by everything I said, 100%. Conservatives don't really threaten state boycotts, at least not powerful conservatives with a chance to actually succeed. Sure, you can find 200 people on Facebook. But they won't really have an impact. For the most part, liberal celebrities grossly over value themselves and their worth to society. That's why they threaten to leave America if Trump wins, while conservative celebrities generally don't threaten to leave when their guy/girl loses. 

1 hour ago, MormonGator said:

See, I'm pro choice and pro gay marriage.

I can understand the idea of being pro-"the government has no say in the matter" (which is my position on the marriage issue), but I really can't understand how someone who embraces the gospel could actually directly support and sustain either of those things; it just doesn't make sense to me.

Guest MormonGator
18 minutes ago, person0 said:

I can understand the idea of being pro-"the government has no say in the matter" (which is my position on the marriage issue), but I really can't understand how someone who embraces the gospel could actually directly support and sustain either of those things; it just doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah it doesn't make sense to me either. People who think the way @MormonGator does are clueless. Frankly, I think they are evil incarnate and I'm ashamed to call them brothers. 

Edited by MormonGator

12 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Yeah it doesn't make sense to me either. People who think the way @MormonGator does are clueless. 

I wouldn't say clueless.  If anything, it takes a lot of reasoning to maintain a position that is contrary to the norm of one's social/religious group.  I just literally don't understand the thought process that goes into it.  My wife occasionally discusses this topic with other members who hold a similar position to you.  From her discussions with them they intentionally misread Church statements, or ignore certain sections while using those statements in support of their position, and ignore when my wife points it out.  I am legitimately curious as to how one sustains such a position within the religious context of the restored gospel.

EDIT:  I'm not trying to start a heated debate, and I'm not trying to be argumentative.  While I can't imagine hearing something I would consider adequate,  I am still curious as to the reasoning behind the stance.

Edited by person0

2 hours ago, MormonGator said:

They do too, but  in fairness it's probably as successful as when conservatives boycotted Beauty and the Beast because of the gay scene. So I guess conservatives do "boycott" but it's never successful. In fact, "boycott" isn't even the right word. Maybe "temper tantrum and hold my breath until I pass out because I'm a three year old who isn't getting my way"  works better. 

Yes. That's equivalent to simply choosing to not go to a movie that has something in it you don't care for. Exactly the same. :glare:

Guest Scott
4 hours ago, MormonGator said:

Conservatives don't really threaten state boycotts, at least not powerful conservatives with a chance to actually succeed.

Other than Hollywood, few people threaten state boycotts.    Overall, Hollywood is very liberal, so yes.

I still think the Colorado boycott is a good example of a state boycott, even if it wasn't done by those in power..   It did have an impact, even if it did backfire some.  

Boycotting business is much more effective.  The NFL boycott for example was a very effective boycott of a business.  

That's why they threaten to leave America if Trump wins, while conservative celebrities generally don't threaten to leave when their guy/girl loses. 

Threatening to leave is stupid.   The people you are protesting want them to leave anyway, so it's a backwards way of thinking.  Isn't leaving just reward to those on the other side?   They want you to leave.

The only person I can think of who ever  made good on the promise to leave  and did it in style is Meghan Markle.  

Meghan:   I'll leave if Trump gets elected. 

Trump gets elected, Meghan marries Prince Henry and moves to London.  You have to admit that that was really leaving in style.

You are right on this though.   Some liberals (foolishly) threaten to leave.  Some conservatives threaten revolution.  

Some extreme liberals = threaten to leave.

Some extreme conservatives = threaten revolution.

They both have their snowflakes; they just choose different ways to melt.  

Edited by Scott

Guest MormonGator
3 hours ago, Scott said:

They both have their snowflakes; they just choose different ways to melt.  

I've been saying that for years. We agree on that 10,000%. What's really depressing is that people on the left/right only think the other side is filled with snowflakes.

With very, very few exceptions (yes, like the Civil Rights boycotts) most boycotts are just tantrums. They are also counter productive. Usually, they just give more attention to what you are protesting. After all, the Beauty and the Beast movie grossed over 500 million dollars. Resounding success huh? 

Edited by MormonGator