Faith-Promoting Evidence of the Authenticity of The Book of Mormon, Part 1: If/And Conditionals

British theologian Austin Farrar once said, "Though argument does not create conviction, lack of it destroys belief. What seems to be proved may not be embraced; but what no one shows that ability to defend is quickly abandoned. Rational argument does not create belief, but it maintains a climate in which belief may flourish." In that spirit, this represents Part One of a series of articles dedicated to "rational argument" aimed at maintaining a climate in which belief in the divine coming-forth of The Book of Mormon may flourish. Once upon a time in Mexico Once upon a time I was a missionary in Mexico. Learning a second language was an interesting experience. I quickly learned that translating from one language to another is not as easy as I expected it to be. The grammar and sentence construction in Spanish is different than English. For example, let's look at the phrase, "construction site." In Spanish, it'd be "sitio de construcción." If we make a literal translation of the Spanish words back...

View the full article