How the Gospel Answers a Long Standing Physics Problem

The 'problem of time' is the term for one of the most interesting challenges facing physicists today. It consists in reconciling the differences between Newtonian physics and Einstein's special relativity. Sir Issac Newton described time as, “Absolute, true and mathematical time, of itself, and from its own nature, flows equably, without regard to anything external.” In this way of thinking time is like gravity; a force that is universal. Einstein, however, explains time as something that is malleable. That means it isn't actually like gravity, in fact, it suggests that time might not exist outside of our system. Newtonian physics observes time as a force here on earth and the surrounding regions but Einstien suggests that time does not operate the same elsewhere. Why does time seem to work here but not elsewhere? This question is known as the problem of time and believe it or not, the gospel might just answer this longstanding conundrum.  A Gospel-Based Explanation of Time. The scriptural record seems to concur with Newton's idea of time existing, at...

View the full article

Guest Mores

I don't exactly get the point here.  The title says that the gospel answers a long standing physics problem.  The final conclusion admits it does not. 

The gospel does not necessarily resolve the differences in the equations that describe time as universal and time as malleable and perhaps non-existent.

I agree, it does not resolve those differences.  It talks about some kind of parallel question.  But the gospel explanation never really crosses paths with the physics problem at hand.

What it (the gospel) does do is provide a plausible narrative as to why time as we observe it exists here on earth but not everywhere. 

Not really.  It explains why time may not exist in the realm of Eternity.  That may or may not have anything to do with the extents of the universe or relativity.

The question of time vis-a-vis relativity is about compression and expansion (malleability) of time as a function of matter interaction with forces, velocities, and distances.  It in fact does not say that time "doesn't exist" in other places.  But in Eternity, everything is one great "now."  That's quite different than expansion and contraction.

The explanation given here about the nature of time in the gospel is about the existence of time itself.  And if I understand correctly, it is based on the definition of time requiring a beginning and/or end.  This is something I don't necessarily agree with.  But it can be accepted as a perspective to understand that which is not truly understandable.  Even so, it does not clear up the nature of time's malleability.  It completely throws it out the window and says it's basically a framework for mortal probation and does not really exist.

So, did I miss something?

Edited by Mores