Speaking as a train-lover...

Jamie123

...this bugs me a lot worse than it ought to. I know there are bigger injustices in the world, but this really gets to me:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7049035/Well-wishers-raise-nearly-50-000-model-railway-club-smashed-yobs.html?ico=pushly-notifcation-small

£50,000 pounds is a lot of money, but a hundred times that amount wouldn't replace the loving effort these guys put into their hobby. I'd like to see a few medieval torture methods revived for people who do this kind of thing.

Normally I despise the Daily Mail, but on this occasion...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7059229/Mother-teenage-yob-smashed-model-railway-exhibition-says-mortified.html?ico=pushly-notifcation-small

She said her son has been punished by having his games console and mobile phones confiscated and being grounded indefinitely.  

Oh yeah that's really going to teach them isn't it? They ought to be made to smash their own games consoles and mobile phones with a sledgehammer. Then they should be made to work night and day to buy mobile phones and games consoles - and then be forced to smash those as well. As for vodka, they should be force-fed an entire bottle - each.

(Yes I know - I'm not being very Christian. But I used to be a model train enthusiast myself, back before I was married.)

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 5:24 AM, Jamie123 said:

...this bugs me a lot worse than it ought to. I know there are bigger injustices in the world, but this really gets to me:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7049035/Well-wishers-raise-nearly-50-000-model-railway-club-smashed-yobs.html?ico=pushly-notifcation-small

£50,000 pounds is a lot of money, but a hundred times that amount wouldn't replace the loving effort these guys put into their hobby. I'd like to see a few medieval torture methods revived for people who do this kind of thing.

Normally I despise the Daily Mail, but on this occasion...

I'm a big model train guy and one of my best friends lives in the UK.  He wasn't at this show but we both heard about tis on a model train oriented website.  Truly senseless.

I heard about this on a video from Omegon (a veeery interesting UK YouTuber whose audience should be way bigger). I don't understand what makes people do stuff like this. I understand robbery. I even understand why some people kill. But this kind of behavior has always baffled me. They need to be punished by more than just taking their toys away. 

On 5/20/2019 at 6:24 AM, Jamie123 said:

The fact that there are larger injustices doesn't mean that lesser injustices aren't still worth being bugged by. Like when someone (back when CDs were a thing) stole my CD collection out of my car. It was only a few hundred dollars worth of CDs...but I was a poor college kid with no money...and I'd been collecting them for years and years.

Yeah...perspective matters...but thieves and vandals should be severely punished.

My suggested solution: