Soda Tax Simply Didn't Go Far Enough

Guest Mores

Guest Mores
2 minutes ago, Scott said:

It more than revenue. 

I live in Colorado, but minutes from the Utah border.  People (not me!) are always driving into Colorado (both locals and tourists) to buy booze.  There are two reasons for this.  One is because beer in Colorado has a higher alcohol content.  The second is because the booze taxes are a lot lower in Colorado.

That kinda makes the point I was making.  Why would you think that nullifies the revenue argument?

If that were the sole purpose, why is the alcohol content of beer lower in Utah and why the alcohol laws about serving alcohol in places like restaurants, etc.?  The state would generate a lot more revenue without those laws.

I said "primary" purpose, not sole.  Sure it has some undercurrents of social issues.  But I stated before, they were secondary.

I agree with you.  Alcohol causes a lot of problems.  I wont touch the stuff.  Alcohol is worse than soda when it comes to society.

I still think though that Utah's alcohol laws would fit in the category as social engineering.

Anything will fit anywhere if you have a big enough hammer.  And I'm not going to argue with someone who insists on using such a hammer.

Guest Scott
24 minutes ago, Mores said:

Anything will fit anywhere if you have a big enough hammer.  And I'm not going to argue with someone who insists on using such a hammer.

Only I'm actually curious and interested on your differing opinion rather than looking for an arguement. 

Perhaps (emphasis on "perhaps") the reason we see things a bit differenty is because I live in a boder town next to Utah and the contrasts between the two states are apparent on a daily basis.

Anyway, I was editing my previuos post to include medical and recreational marijuana, but you responded to quickly for my sloth like typing abilities on a cell phone. ;

In Colorado, cities and towns that allow marijuana sales bring in a lot more revenue than they spend on the negative consequences.  Utah would likely be the same.

It's more than just revenue.  I think the other reasons are more than just minor or secondary.

(And I'm not saying that marijuana isn't bad either.  In my opinion the most negative consequences of Colorado legalizing marijuana is that it teaches the young people that marijuana isn't bad or that the consequences of using it are somehow minimal).

Edited by Scott

55 minutes ago, Mores said:

I'd invite @mirkwood to weigh in on how much of a burden the public has when people drink too much.  Then I'd invite anyone to weigh in on how often police are called over someone who drinks a 12 oz can of soda (or even more) each day.

Endless soda problems.  Endless I tell ya!

Guest Scott
1 hour ago, Mores said:

I said "primary" purpose, not sole.  Sure it has some undercurrents of social issues.  But I stated before, they were secondary.

Slightly different, but what about the lottery?  Would you consider Utah laws on the lottery to be social engineering?

Just curious.

Edited by Scott

Guest Mores
2 hours ago, Scott said:

Slightly different, but what about the lottery?  Would you consider Utah laws on the lottery to be social engineering?

Just curious.

No idea.