Missions and cell phones

Lost Boy

What is the current policy on missionaries having a cell phone?

I ask because my daughter is putting her papers in and we think she is finally mature enough to get a cell phone....  

No, I ask because I am thinking of what to get her for her birthday and if missionaries are allowed cell phones, then maybe a camera wouldn't be the best present.

And just to be clear, she has had a cell phone for many years. 

For any of you ladies that served missions is there anything that you would have really liked to receive before going on a mission?

Guest LiterateParakeet

I think the best gift is a really great pair of shoes. I mean good quality and comfort. Two pairs of these, and then a dresser pair for church if desired. 

17 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

I think the best gift is a really great pair of shoes. I mean good quality and comfort. Two pairs of these, and then a dresser pair for church if desired. 

I do not know shoes in the least.  Any recommendations?  I kind of think this is something I could get her, but not really as a birthday present.  Something that I rather take her somewhere and do some shopping with her.

Guest Mores
44 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

Am I reading that right?   Only Samsung is allowed?

That's what it says.  I'm guessing the Church has some agreement with Samsung that discounts the cost of service. And from an IT standpoint, it is easier if everyone has the same brand of phone.

4 minutes ago, Mores said:

That's what it says.  I'm guessing the Church has some agreement with Samsung that discounts the cost of service. And from an IT standpoint, it is easier if everyone has the same brand of phone.

I guess then instead of the camera, she may be getting a new phone.

Guest Mores
2 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

I guess then instead of the camera, she may be getting a new phone.

Most phones nowadays have a pretty good camera.

Guest LiterateParakeet
2 hours ago, Lost Boy said:

I do not know shoes in the least.  Any recommendations?  I kind of think this is something I could get her, but not really as a birthday present.  Something that I rather take her somewhere and do some shopping with her.

It depends on where you live.  I've bought shoes for three missionaries (two sons and one daughter)...so far  :) , and we always buy them online.  Yes, once or twice we did need to send them back to get a better size, but these companies understand that and they work with you...it's a no hassle switch.   These shoes might not be "cute" but trust me, missionaries are on their feet A LOT....comfort and durability are way more important than "cute factor".  

Guidelines for Sister Missionary shoes: https://missionary.lds.org/clothing/sister/dress/shoes/?lang=eng

Shopping
https://missionarymall.org/collections/shoes
https://earthshoes.com/womens-shoes

Edited by LiterateParakeet

3 hours ago, Mores said:

It looks like they all have to install a program on their phones that restricts web access.  

14 hours ago, Mores said:
15 hours ago, Lost Boy said:

Am I reading that right?   Only Samsung is allowed?

So the way it works is that the church has their own App Store of sorts (the name escapes me right now). I had an iPad on my mission and all the apps we were allowed to use were on this church made App Store. But recently Apple said “no more of this” to the church and so they had to switch the missionary force over to Samsung.

as far as policy, the missionaries in my ward said their mission is starting to allow missionaries to bring out their own phones. And soon here there won’t just be a combo phone shared between them, but every missionary will have an individual phone.