1 Nephi 9:4, Prescience?

And the cynic in me pops up again, but I was reading this at lunch today.

Upon the other plates should be engraven an account of the reign of the kings, and the wars and contentions of my people; wherefore these plates are for the more part of the ministry; and the aother plates are for the more part of the reign of the kings and the wars and contentions of my people.

But with Nephi writing this, how would he know these things, unless I am misunderstanding as I thought he lead his people (and not as a king), until he died.  With this in mind how does this passage make sense?

I do understand you could just play the "prophet" card, but it did strike me as a bit off.

Guest Mores
47 minutes ago, CommanderSouth said:

But with Nephi writing this, how would he know these things, unless I am misunderstanding as I thought he lead his people (and not as a king), until he died.  With this in mind how does this passage make sense?

I do understand you could just play the "prophet" card, but it did strike me as a bit off.

Why would it be off? Nephi specifically said so.

3 Nevertheless, I have received a commandment of the Lord that I should make these plates, for the special purpose that there should be an account engraven of the ministry of my people.

... (you quoted)

5 Wherefore, the Lord hath commanded me to make these plates for a wise purpose in him, which purpose I know not.

6 But the Lord knoweth all things from the beginning; wherefore, he prepareth a way to accomplish all his works among the children of men; for behold, he hath all power unto the fulfilling of all his words. And thus it is. Amen.

1 Ne 9:3,5-6

Why is it difficult to believe that a prophet would receive prophetic insight from the Lord when he specifically stated that he did?

Edited by Mores

Is it possible that Nephi was recording his history long after all these events had transpired?  That was certainly the case for New Testament gospel writers. If that was the case, then he would already know about those things.

In either case, it had been a record keeping practice of the Jews for hundreds of years to separate secular and ecclesiastic records so he may have just been continuing to do what he knew. 

Nephi was also given prophetic visions of the future 2nd Nephi 26-30 and it may be possible that 1 Nephi 9:4 is more of a comment made to tie his record together. I wouldn't be surprised if Nephi recorded his history just prior to anointing a new king (Jacob 1:9) and charging Jacob with the plates and telling him to keep the records separate (Jacob 1:1-4).

Just some random thoughts.

6 hours ago, CommanderSouth said:

Fantastic question.

firstly, I would point to 1 Nephi 7:1 which reads:

“it came to pass that the Lord spake unto [Lehi] again, saying that it was not meet for him, Lehi, that he should take his family into the wilderness alone; but that his sons should take daughters to wife, that they might raise up seed unto the Lord in the land of promise.”

this came two chapters (and potentially years before) chapter 9 where your quotation is placed.

So Nephi new very well that a people was going to rise up upon the promised land, and he is probably wasn’t so  naïve to think  there would be no contention or wars. His statement you quote stands just fine.

BUT additionally, had there been no reference of a people to be raised on the promised land prior to your quotation, there still would have been no issue. The Book of Mormon, and similarly the  Bible, does not seek to prove itself with contextual fluidity. But rather speaks of God and asks the reader to pray and ask if it is true.