Failed Movies -- Good or Bad

Guest Mores

1 hour ago, Mores said:

I was just reminded of Speed Racer.  That brought back memories.  Plenty of homages to the original series (Trixie in the Helicopter).  The visuals were epilpsy-inducing.  But overall, I think it worked.  The plot was good.  The acting worked.  As an action flick alone, it was praiseworthy.

I watched that movie a few months ago, IIRC based on your recommendation. And to my surprise, I didn't hate it. It really was an homage to the original anime. In fact, I would argue that it almost presupposed that you had watched the original, except that the idea is clearly untrue, since the target demographic was very obviously not 45-year-old men. (I believe it was released in 2008.) Despite the fact that it cast the role of Mom (one of my favorite roles) with Susan Sarandon (one of my least favorite people), it was reasonably coherent and sort of hung together, despite—or maybe in part because of—the epilepsy-inducing parts you mentioned.

Edited by Vort

Okay, let me throw in my two cents about some flopped movies:

• I love "Titan A.E." I even have songs from the movie. It was the demise of Fox Animation Studios. A lot of Don Bluth movies didn't do well in the theater. "The Secret of Nimh" was a good movie from what I remember. I enjoyed "American Tail" and "American Tail 2 . . ." "Land Before Time" was good, and I even watched some of the sequels, but that franchise may have been overused.
  • Oh, I enjoyed "The Quest". It was the first PG-13 Jean Claude Van Damme movie, and I enjoyed it.
  • This reminds me of a few others, one I'm not sure is considered a flop, but it didn't do as well as the first two. I love the third Karate Kid movie. Terry Silver gets my best villain award regarding the actor and the character. He planned his revenge so well, especially tricking Daniel.
  • I enjoy "The Next Karate Kid", but that movie has its flaws. The idea was great, but it just wasn't done right. The fight seen between Miyagi and the store patrons was ridiculous. It wasn't written well.
  • I haven't seen "Rocky Horror Picture Show", and I'm not sure if I want to see it. I did see "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" movie, and I like it mostly for the songs. Granted, it's not on the appropriate side. I bring it up, because it's also a musical.
  • I love "Tron"! I've seen "Tron: Legacy", but I enjoyed the original much more. I did buy the soundtrack to Legacy, and it was a good movie but not as good as the original. (I don't think the original flopped, however.)
  • I've seen "Speed Racer" and thought it was okay. I haven't seen it since.
  • I believe Jim Hensen's "Labyrinth" flopped in the theater but has a considerable cult following, and the music was/is excellent. I love the movie.
  • "It's a Wonderful Life" flopped, and I think someone removed the copyright on it. It's a good movie with a cult following. It's also why it plays frequently at Christmas time.
  • "Xanadu" was a flop; however, its soundtrack was more popular. The movie had a great idea, but they didn't do it well. I didn't like the ending. It reminds me of "The Chase". I hated its ending, too. (I don't think "The Chase" flopped, however.)