Elder Bednar Said There Would Be No Fun in the Afterlife, Now What?

No fun in the afterlife?! You've got to be kidding me! I love to have fun. Pranks, jokes, amusement parks, games, sports, you name it! But is it really true that these things won't exist in the afterlife? I was shocked (I still am, to be quite honest) when I heard Elder Bednar hint that they won't be in an address he gave to BYU students last December. Now, I'm not saying that I believe in some fairytale vision of what Heaven is going to be like. I.e. double rainbows, endless chocolate ice cream, grandma's feather bed (all to myself, thank you very much), or the return of the unicorn—even though this would all be very nice. I'm also not set on the idea that the Celestial Kingdom is going to a solemn gathering place where we walk around using our "reverent arms" or our "inside voices" all the time. So what's the deal? "Men are that they might have joy," right? And if we are to experience joy here,...

View the full article