1 in 4 Women have abortions

Guest Mores

Guest Mores

So, I just found out that 1 in 4 women have had abortions.  And many of those women have multiple abortions. 😪

Since the "voluntary" percentage of those is upwards of 98%, we have to wonder about the spiritual health of our nation when 25% of the female population are either murderers or like unto murderers.  Then we add into it the abortion doctors and nurses and other clinic workers who are a party to it.  And the fathers who are consensually participating.

This is greater than any of the following:

• Total murder rate in the US
  • Total rapes in the US
  • Total domestic violence incidents in the US

This is staggering.  So, forgive me if I'm not so concerned about hurting anyone's feelings about this.  This is unacceptable.

Edited by Mores

33 minutes ago, Mores said:

So, I just found out that 1 in 4 women have had abortions.  And many of those women have multiple abortions. 😪

Since the "voluntary" percentage of those is upwards of 98%, we have to wonder about the spiritual health of our nation when 25% of the female population are either murderers or like unto murderers.  Then we add into it the abortion doctors and nurses and other clinic workers who are a party to it.  And the fathers who are consensually participating.

• Total rapes in the US

This is staggering.  So, forgive me if I'm not so concerned about hurting anyone's feelings about this.  This is unacceptable.

While I agree that this is far too high, I will also point out that abortions are on the decline. Guttmacher Institute reports that there was a 25% decline in the rate of abortions between 2008 and 2014. https://www.guttmacher.org/news-release/2017/abortion-common-experience-us-women-despite-dramatic-declines-rates

46 minutes ago, MarginOfError said:

While I agree that this is far too high, I will also point out that abortions are on the decline. Guttmacher Institute reports that there was a 25% decline in the rate of abortions between 2008 and 2014. https://www.guttmacher.org/news-release/2017/abortion-common-experience-us-women-despite-dramatic-declines-rates

How does that match to the decline in birth rates and pregnancy rates?

Guest Mores
28 minutes ago, anatess2 said:

How does that match to the decline in birth rates and pregnancy rates?

It parallels, but is not equal to it.  Apparently a small, but not insignificant, minority of women are changing to pro-life.

I don't have the number for the linked article's time period (2008-2014).  But the 2009 (it peaked this year) to 2013, there was about a 10% to 15% drop in pregnancy rates.

Edited by Mores

I don’t see a source linked.  Are they counting as “abortions”, a post-miscarriage D&C?  Because my wife has had two of those . . .

Also, on declining rates:  IIRC there are also studies suggesting that people these days, and especially kids, are just plain having less sex.

All that said, though:  this ranks up there with the CDC’s stat that 100 million Americans have an STD.  It’s easy to forget just how ripe for the burning our homeland has become.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

3 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I don’t see a source linked.  Are they counting as “abortions”, a post-miscarriage D&C?  Because my wife has had two of those . . .

Also, on declining rates:  IIRC there are also studies suggesting that people these days, and especially kids, are just plain having less sex.

All that said, though:  this ranks up there with the CDC’s stat that 100 million Americans have an STD.  It’s easy to forget just how ripe for the burning our homeland has become.

I think they do. I know that when my daughter was stillborn and I elected to be induced, it was counted as an abortion.  Makes me sick to think of that. I could have waited for my body to go into labor naturally, BUT because I couldn't handle that idea, it's an abortion because  I elected to end the pregnancy.  

My sister was induced at 18 weeks. her baby had been dead for 2 weeks. It was also counted as an abortion.  

They need to be better with the wordings. Chosing to end a pregnancy with a dead baby shouldn't count as an abortion.  

Guest Mores
1 hour ago, Just_A_Guy said:

From the link that MoE offered:

Nearly one in four women in the United States (23.7%) will have an abortion by age 45, according to a new analysis by Guttmacher Institute researchers Rachel Jones and Jenna Jerman, just published in the American Journal of Public Health. 

The statistic does not make any exceptions.  But I believe it is only induced abortions.  It would include those abortions due to the standard exceptions that most pro-life people accept. 

The D&C procedure itself is usually not considered an abortion.  But since it is often used when a baby "self-aborts" (i.e. miscarriage) then the pregnancy is considered to have been aborted.  But the D&C "post-miscarriage" is not, in and of itself, considered an abortion unless that was the chosen method of an induced abortion.

However, statistically, I don't believe miscarraige is counted in reports like the one linked to because, even though, technically speaking a miscarriage is an abortion, it is often separated because it is not medically or statistically useful to include them together.

Notice the wording:

Despite recent declines in abortion, it is still a common procedure

A miscarriage is not a "procedure".

Regardless, since the percentage of "voluntary" abortions is 95% or greater, the overall rate is still around 1 in 4.

Edited by Mores

Guest Mores
59 minutes ago, LadyGunnar said:

I think they do. I know that when my daughter was stillborn and I elected to be induced, it was counted as an abortion.  Makes me sick to think of that. I could have waited for my body to go into labor naturally, BUT because I couldn't handle that idea, it's an abortion because  I elected to end the pregnancy.  

My sister was induced at 18 weeks. her baby had been dead for 2 weeks. It was also counted as an abortion.  

They need to be better with the wordings. Chosing to end a pregnancy with a dead baby shouldn't count as an abortion.  

You're right.  It makes no sense for them to include that in the statistics.  The baby was already dead.  You can't abort a baby that already self-aborted.

This is largely a historical throwback.  For centuries a miscarriage and an abortion were synonymous.  And for many doctors, they are in the same category "an early termination of the pregnancy".

However, the medical industry is responding to social and political winds.  And they are being encouraged to separate the categories.  There certainly is a big difference between the induced termination vs a self-termination.

Edited by Mores

Medically speaking (and I say this in my experience at my previous workplace doing women's health research), if the child dies before delivery, it is an abortion. End of story.  They merely get coded as either "spontaneous abortion" or "induced abortion." In @LadyGunnar's case, the codes applied ideally would have reflected "spontaneous abortion followed by induction."

One other likely contributor to the decline in abortion noted by Guttmacher--and forgive me, some of you may not like this--is Obamacare. Having mandated that insurance cover contraceptives gave a lot of women easier access to birth control that didn't previously have the option. I'll hide behind this blast wall now.....

Guest LiterateParakeet

I agree with those who said they must be including miscarriages. If I count myself and friends I know who have had a miscarriage (or more than one), then those numbers make sense.  Women who are sexually assaulted is a similar statistic which again judging by myself and my friends rings true.  With the exception of a sister we taught on my mission, and one other sister I met in Alaska, I don't know anyone who has had an abortion. One might say "women don't talk about abortion." The same could be said about sexual assault, and yes women talk about both...at least to other women. 

5 hours ago, Mores said:

• Total rapes in the US

You seem to be taking a very hard stance on this topic, what about victims of rape or incest? What if the life of the mother is in danger? Would you ball these people up in your list of murderers and murderesses?

1 in 4 seems rather high and as pointed out in prior posts takes into account stillborns, non elective abortions etc. 

Guest Mores
1 minute ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

You seem to be taking a very hard stance on this topic, what about victims of rape or incest? What if the life of the mother is in danger? Would you ball these people up in your list of murderers and murderesses?

1 in 4 seems rather high and as pointed out in prior posts takes into account stillborns, non elective abortions etc. 

When over 95% of them are voluntary (i.e. not included in the list of standard exceptions) the 1 in 4 estimate is still a pretty accurate number.

Seen on Facebook:

Calm down leftists. No one is coming for your abortions. We just want common sense abortion control. Mandatory background checks complete with mental health evaluation. Must be placed in a nation abortion registry. $200 tax stamp and a 1 year wait period. Outlaw assault abortions after the first trimester and limit the number you can have. No one NEEDS more than one abortion.

11 hours ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

You seem to be taking a very hard stance on this topic, what about victims of rape or incest?

The last time someone raped me and then left a baby on my doorstep I felt perfectly justified smothering it with a pillow.

16 hours ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

You seem to be taking a very hard stance on this topic, what about victims of rape or incest?

What if a woman is uncomfortable because you look like her rapist?  Should we execute you? You're certainly no less guilty than the baby. 

And there are always morning after pills. Cheap, easy to get and no appointment needed.