Hitting Rocks and Other Things Youth Should Try At Camp

Summertime is nearly here. For members of the Church, that means that the youth are about to go camping. For as long as anyone can remember, camping has been a part of being 12-18 years old in the Church. The format is usually pretty standard: two to five days of bad food, terrible weather, capture the flag, salmonella, and the bishopric’s devotional night (spoiler alert, they want the youth to make good friends and prepare for missions). Going camping can be fun and even insightful, but it has too often become what I call “milkshake camping.” This term comes from a camping trip I went on when I was 14. Our quorum drove out to a sizeable lake. After setting up our tents we didn’t go fishing or build a fire. We didn’t go canoeing or hiking either. We drove ten minutes to Wendy’s to get ice cream. That kind of camping trip is memorable for all the wrong reasons. What if instead of milkshake camping we “took...

View the full article

2 hours ago, Mores said:

With scouting going away, it is now up to families and friends to do this on their own.

Scouting may be going away but I don't think camping is going away.  But, I haven't seen anything about the new program so I'm just guessing here.

I like this article.

By the way, one of the things I've tried to get going in my neighborhood is something like The Land playground.  There's an area in my neighborhood that is perfect for it - it is an island in the middle of a huge retention pond.  We could easily build a rope bridge to it.  But, I can't get anybody to join me in the effort and my HOA and the City Council went apoplectic over the idea.