Living the Law of Consecration fully

One aspect of history I have shared and find interesting is that after a year a so the Lord sought to teach his children this law, and to put this law into practice. That we would literally become like the city of Enoch -- A Zion society. This failed, sadly. It was too much and this concept appears too much still today.

I have wondered why the Lord hasn't instructed us to now live it once again, and it doesn't take long to understand why he hasn't -- we still aren't ready.

There are individuals, and people, who are seeking to live this law. A story that inspired me was when a member of our ward really struggled with financial difficulties. He was a trade worker and found himself in the position of being let go (not because of work ethic) but due to the type of work he did. They had one car and this car finally kicked the bucket and they were in no position to financially purchase a new car. I would see him, his wife, and children walking to destinations and if farther taking the bus. One day a car showed up in their driveway with a ribbon around it. His family and I think some friends all pitched in a certain amount of money and purchased him a car. This is an aspect of Zion mentality.

This also happened to a young lady in our ward. She graduated from high school, and was going to be attending college away from home. In order to assist, friends from high school talked to their parents, and one week they showed up at her house with a used car for college. It was wonderful.

There are aspects of what it means to be a Zion people, but we are still far below the measure of what it means to be Zion people.

Yes, the Book of Mormon is very clear, but might I add that it isn't the wearing of costly apparel and some other aspects that the Book of Mormon is highlighting (so to speak). You will notice that these people who began to wear costly apparel would look down on their brethren. Sadly we see this in our society also (ever so prevalent among our youth -- high school and middle school).

This is something that has been consistently shared in trainings from our general authorities. The Lord isn't waiting for the world to become more wicked to come. He is waiting for us to become a Zion people who are ready to receive him. Note, I didn't quote that correctly. I have the exact quote in my notes from the trainings we received.

EDIT: There is another story I have found to be inspiring. This was from a lady in our ward (one I have moved from) whose family consistently struggled financially, partially due to having two children with special needs, which obviously increased hospital bills. One day she shared she was walking through DI and saw a dresser and thought how she would love that dresser, but knew they did not have the money for that dresser.

One day, out of nowhere, her relief society president stopped by and just said I have been impressed to take you out today. They went out, and one of their stops was the DI. The relief society president had some other items that she needed to stop by DI for. As they were walking through the store they walked through the isle that this dresser was in. The relief society president stopped at the dresser and said something to this nature. I have a feeling now you need this dresser, and this is the dresser you want. I am going to purchase it for you. Heavenly Father answered a silent prayer she never shared with anyone, through the faithful love of another member.

So tiny aspects of Zion I think are happening more than we recognize, but not on the scale it would require to be a people ready for Zion.

Edited by Anddenex

17 minutes ago, mikbone said:

Ever Read Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged?

Yes, has nothing to do with what @LineUponLine is presenting and inquiring about - Zion. Unless, of course you feel building Zion is what Ayn was suggesting? If so, we may have read two different copies then.

Oh, and let me share a little bit of Zion that happened in my life. Many years ago, I was going through some difficult times financially. My wife and I have always had a garden. This year I fell on hard times, and wasn't going to be able to have a garden. My backyard neighbor and good friend (who we compete at times with our garden in jest), came over and said, "Anddenex, I am going to purchase some plants and this year I am purchasing your plants also. He didn't know I wasn't going to have a garden, but knew of the financial circumstance I found myself in. Due to love from a neighbor I was able to have a garden that year and that year I have not been able to duplicate how good of a crop we had. I am not sure if it was simply from my friends love, but I can't duplicate the same crop. We had over 50 cantalope that year, over 30 watermelon, over 800 tomatoes, and many other good things from the garden.

So, again, we see aspects of Zion, a Zion mentality, more than we might think. :)

1 hour ago, LineUponLine said:

A key part of the definition of Zion is that they are all equal and there is no poor among them.

I think this that A) this has much broader meaning than you're supposing and B) you're defining "poor" all over the map. Which is it? Everyone's mortgage paid off? Or no homeless?

And how much "homelessness" is within the direct church membership -- particularly where said individual goes to one's bishop in times of need?

Seriously...where do you draw this line of what is "poor"? If we need to eliminate poor among the Saints then we need to understand where the line of being "poor" is, right? Is it about having needs met...or desires? If it's needs then we may be a lot closer than you're suggesting. If it's desires...then what desires count? TVs? Cellphones? Cars? Boats? A certain home size? Dishwashers? Microwaves?

Define "poor".

Edited by The Folk Prophet

30 minutes ago, Anddenex said:

I have wondered why the Lord hasn't instructed us to now live it once again, and it doesn't take long to understand why he hasn't -- we still aren't ready.

But the reason we aren't ready, I think, isn't because we aren't willing to give our possessions to the church. I'd dare say that most faithful members, upon re-instigation of The United Order, would do so. The reason we aren't ready is because after doing so and then coming home with our modest home and our used car, we'd murmur and complain and criticize that Joe Neighbor next door came home with a slightly less modest house and a new car.

And it's those who are clamoring for all things to be shared among the church who are the most likely, I think, to be the ones complaining when we aren't living their idea of how communal redistribution of wealth should work.

13 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I think this that A) this has much broader meaning than you're supposing and B) you're defining "poor" all over the map. Which is it? Everyone's mortgage paid off? Or no homeless?

And how much "homelessness" is within the direct church membership -- particularly where said individual goes to one's bishop in times of need?

Seriously...where do you draw this line of what is "poor"? If we need to eliminate poor among the Saints then we need to understand where the line of being "poor" is, right? Is it about having needs met...or desires? If it's needs then we may be a lot closer than you're suggesting. If it's desires...then what desires count? TVs? Cellphones? Cars? Boats? A certain home size? Dishwashers? Microwaves?

Define "poor".

Pooh.  Defining and then helping the poor, isn’t nearly as fun as the adrenaline rush of phony virtue that comes from hurting the rich.  

Perhaps I am missing something but I have never seen and scripture or heard any prophet suggest that there is any obligation or suggestion that a Saint of G-d pay off someone else's financial debt.  We can forgive those in debt to us (which I have done) but I am am concerned that many "poor" expect to accumulate debt with the intent that someone else will pay it off.  I believe it is the plan of G-d that we all become invested in "overcoming".  I sometimes think there is a miscarriage of that debt resolution is free.  It appears to me that G-d does not intend to pay off debts that we are not willing to strive in some way or effort ourselves.

It is also my understanding that one cannot live the law of consecration or even the United Order if they are in debt.

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

44 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

Pooh.  Defining and then helping the poor, isn’t nearly as fun as the adrenaline rush of phony virtue that comes from hurting the rich.  

Oh come on now. Does it really "hurt" them to take away 9 of their 10 solid gold cars? :)

No one really needs more than one solid gold car.

1 hour ago, The Folk Prophet said:

But the reason we aren't ready, I think, isn't because we aren't willing to give our possessions to the church. I'd dare say that most faithful members, upon re-instigation of The United Order, would do so. The reason we aren't ready is because after doing so and then coming home with our modest home and our used car, we'd murmur and complain and criticize that Joe Neighbor next door came home with a slightly less modest house and a new car.

This is true. I don't believe we are ready and I know there are a lot of obstacles (pride being among the top) before we are. I love hearing the examples that @Anddenex was giving and I wish those things could be more commonplace.

When I define helping the poor it is based on need starting with food, clothing, and shelter and only expanding on that after those primary needs are met. When a debt is payed off through the assistance of someone who has the funds to do so it is expected that the one who was in debt is still working as a productive individual and isn't out looking for the next thing to get him back in debt. Someone who is living celestial law is self-reliant.

I think a better question I need to ask is: What steps need to be taken presently in order for further progress to be in made in creating a zion today. If we are clearly not ready (and i'm talking about large scale because I'm sure there are some who are in fact ready) then what changes need to be made? What progress actually is being made that maybe i'm not seeing?

4 hours ago, LineUponLine said:

All I am saying is what the Lord said D&C 49:20 But it is not given that one man should possess that which is above another, wherefore the world lieth in sin.

A key part of the definition of Zion is that they are all equal and there is no poor among them.

Can no one clarify this to me?

I'm not saying hardwork is worthless and nothing is gained from it and I'm not saying the poor should be given boats and mansions. But imagine if the surplus wealth could pay off most if not all debt including mortgage debt. Imagine if the homeless never went hungry and were always clothed and were given the help they need to get on their feet to get a job and provide for themselves.

Ever notice in the Book of Mormon that problems always started with riches? The wearing of costly apparel, class distinctions, etc. 

Has anyone read Hugh Nibley's book Approaching Zion?

The Law of Consecration today falls under what many would call Religious Communism.

However, simply using the term Communism (no matter what the context) sends MANY into conniptions no matter what it actually means in the context.

Among most of the members in the US today (where the majority of the Church's strength lies) and in many portions of Europe you would find that members would rather fight tooth and nail than to live anything approaching what was actually lived previously in relation to the Law of Consecration (regardless of whether it was the type practiced under Brigham Young in some communities, or that of the Early Church (Religious Communism's actually defining item for many groups that use the term) under Peter.

Most members in the West are married to the idea of Rich and Poor being established, not all being equal in economical matters, and that you get what you work for (if you don't work hard enough you are poor, if you work hard you are blessed with riches...etc) regardless of whether it actually is correct in thought or not.

The chances of the Law of Consecration being utilized on the majority of the church, or even temple goers as it is practiced in the past, or even as it is now practiced in the upper echolons (the General Authorities) is just about zero.  There would probably be a mass exodus out of the church if it were attempted, at least in my opinion.

Money is the first of the problems, the rest of it would be even harder.  The only common group to live something even close to the Law today beyond the General Authories would be the Missionary force, and that is only for 2 years.

I think a better question I need to ask is: What steps need to be taken presently in order for further progress to be in made in creating a zion today. If we are clearly not ready (and i'm talking about large scale because I'm sure there are some who are in fact ready) then what changes need to be made? What progress actually is being made that maybe i'm not seeing?

I'd just like to repeat my suggestion that you turn this into self-reflection, rather than trying to mold others into your image.   What steps do you need to take?  Are you ready?  If not, what changes do you need to make?  What progress are you making?

3 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

And it's those who are clamoring for all things to be shared among the church who are the most likely, I think, to be the ones complaining when we aren't living their idea of how communal redistribution of wealth should work.

I honestly don't know why it hasn't been commanded again; although, I would think there are two potential reasons:

1) There are people/members who will complain because they see what it means to no longer have rich or poor to be different. (as you stated)

2) There are people/members who have more who will also complain because they forget the idea where their blessings come from. I hear all to often in our world, "I am where I am because I work hard." (which assumes all other people who aren't where I am is because they don't work hard) They will have a hard time giving up their income because they are forgetting by whose hand their blessing comes.

I also think we have to remember the teaching of "slothful and unwise servants" who wait to be commanded in all things. Sure, I have no problem living the law of consecration or living within the United Order. But, what am I doing now that shows I am living it already? In part, our fast offerings highlight to some degree our love for this law and lifestyle.

Let me explain from my perspective, if I were rich I would be seeking out myself family members and ward members who were in need. I wouldn't wait for the united order to bless my neighbor. I would be the Lord's instrument in helping out more often than not. I am not talking about one instance in one year. I am talking about helping in relation to my income. Notice how the Lord has said that we seek for riches we seek them to cloth the naked, feed the poor, etc... But how many of our brothers who have an abundance of wealth are actually seeking out those in need?

So, yes, we a good majority of members will move when commanded. What I am inquiring, are our faithful members willing to act without the command? That is more a show of our actual desires and heart.

I am cautious to think that the reason we haven't is only one sided -- the poor (sorry, if I am misreading your last statement as this is what I am reading) who desire more. When the poor realize they aren't privy to someone else's wealth (as Zion can not be accomplished by compulsory means -- my honest opinion -- and should not be) so they work and labor for what they receive (self-reliance), and the rich remember by whom their blessings come remembering that it isn't there money in the first place. Then we will see Zion began to flourish.

1 hour ago, Anddenex said:

I am cautious to think that the reason we haven't is only one sided -- the poor (sorry, if I am misreading your last statement as this is what I am reading) who desire more. When the poor realize they aren't privy to someone else's wealth (as Zion can not be accomplished by compulsory means -- my honest opinion -- and should not be) so they work and labor for what they receive (self-reliance), and the rich remember by whom their blessings come remembering that it isn't there money in the first place. Then we will see Zion began to flourish.

I can see how I made it look one sided. What I meant to say is that those who are greedy, worldly, judgmental, what-have-you, etc. -- rich or poor -- are going to be a problem in or out of The United Order.

But what you typically see is people without money complaining about how those with money should share more. So my point was simply that if anyone is doing such a thing, they're part of the problem. Anyone who's looking around at the members and judging whether their neighbor is being generous enough and claiming that's why we're not in a Zion state yet needs a bit more introspective consideration on the matter.

The claim that we're not in a Zion state yet is practically too obvious to state.

The question of how we move towards a Zion state has been answered ad nauseum by the scriptures, the prophets, lesson manuals, articles, etc. We study our scriptures. We have family study times. We do ministering. We serve in our callings and elsewhere. We go to the temple.

Honestly if I were going to look and judge, I'd say a much larger indication of where we are can be seen in how many people tend to show up to help neighbors move in/out or something. In my last ward, for example, we had pretty good service turnout. But on a good day we'd get...maybe 10 show up to help for a move. It seems to me that short of literal "can't" that when there's such an opportunity, the whole ward ought to be turning out. But it never does.

That being said, this thread has caused me to do some self-evaluation. My willingness to serve, etc., has taken somewhat of a nose dive in the past few years. I need to adjust.

2 hours ago, JohnsonJones said:

Most members in the West are married to the idea of Rich and Poor being established, not all being equal in economical matters, and that you get what you work for (if you don't work hard enough you are poor, if you work hard you are blessed with riches...etc) regardless of whether it actually is correct in thought or not.

This is one of those ideas that's easy to throw out as if it's fact without any ability to actually back it up with any sort of evidence or statistic. But I don't believe it.

2 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

I'd just like to repeat my suggestion that you turn this into self-reflection, rather than trying to mold others into your image.   What steps do you need to take?  Are you ready?  If not, what changes do you need to make?  What progress are you making?

Yes, salvation is on an individual basis. Zion however is a society, a community, a team effort.

20 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

The claim that we're not in a Zion state yet is practically too obvious to state.

The question of how we move towards a Zion state has been answered ad nauseum by the scriptures, the prophets, lesson manuals, articles, etc. We study our scriptures. We have family study times. We do ministering. We serve in our callings and elsewhere. We go to the temple.

If this is so obvious, and we have been flooded with the answers, then why does it seem that we are no closer to a present day Zion then we were 100 years ago. Yes the church has grown in population and there are many more temples... but inactivity rates are higher, the wealth gap between rich and poor is higher than ever... If all we have to do is follow the checklist then why does our end goal seem hardly closer than before.  Would anyone say that the current active church population is more righteous than those of 100 years ago? I'm not disregarding the importance of those good habits and routines. When I try to imagine what living a celestial life will be like, I think we all would have incomprehensible culture shock due to our lack of preparation. The lifestyle that we are used to is filled with professions with the goal to make a living, make money.  Those things will not exist in a celestial life and we are supposed to be preparing for it.

Communication Telepathy? Revelation?
Education and Training Learning will not cost
Finance No need
Government and Public Administration Christ is King
Health Science No sickness/injury
Hospitality and Tourism No need
Human Services No need
Information Technology No need
Law, Public Safety, Corrections, and Security No war, crime, dishonesty, etc…
Manufacturing No need
Marketing, Sales, and Service No need
Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Learning will not cost
Transportation, Distribution, and Logistics No need

With all these becoming obsolete, what will we be spending our time doing for eternity? It will not be trying to make money. The closer we can move in the direction of a Zion-like society here, the closer we are to living a celestial life.

Yes, salvation is on an individual basis.

This statement is just as inaccurate as...

Zion however is a society, a community, a team effort.

...this one.

If this is so obvious, and we have been flooded with the answers, then why does it seem that we are no closer to a present day Zion then we were 100 years ago.

Because knowing and doing are not the same thing.

Yes the church has grown in population and there are many more temples... but inactivity rates are higher, the wealth gap between rich and poor is higher than ever...

So how many people does it take to achieve to Zion? 2? 20? 200? 2 million?

What's the magic ratio of righteous to wicked?

If all we have to do is follow the checklist then why does our end goal seem hardly closer than before.

Isn't the answer in the question?

The lifestyle that we are used to is filled with professions with the goal to make a living, make money. [be self reliant, take care of our families, and have means to serve others]

Since you keep using "we", which includes me by default I felt the need to correct this statement. Maybe you have a lifestyle filled with a profession for the sake of just making more and more money. I work because it is my fatherly responsibility to be the breadwinner:

"By divine design, fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their families."

Telepathy?

Consider me properly called to repentance on my failure to practice telepathy.

As to the rest of your list... it seems like you're implying that because we won't, say...go on vacation as gods that we ought to never go on vacation in mortality. And who needs a job...because...you know...exaltation.

Or am I missing something here?

Edited by The Folk Prophet

@The Folk Prophet I feel like your last post was purposefully antagonistic. I am simply trying to discuss thoughts and opinions, not force you or anyone else to do anything.

17 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Yes, salvation is on an individual basis.

This statement is just as inaccurate as...

Zion however is a society, a community, a team effort.

...this one.

I don't understand why you would say this is inaccurate. Agency is individual, 2Nephi 2:27 And they are free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil. 

No one forces me to sin, no one forces me to choose the right. I choose. Salvation is individual.

Zion is not a one man show. The City of Enoch was not just the prophet Enoch. The people in the Americas after Christ visited them was not one person. 

28 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Yes the church has grown in population and there are many more temples... but inactivity rates are higher, the wealth gap between rich and poor is higher than ever...

So how many people does it take to achieve to Zion? 2? 20? 200? 2 million?

What's the magic ratio of righteous to wicked?

Obviously there is no magic number... but it does take more than one.

53 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Consider me properly called to repentance on my failure to practice telepathy.

Again, this is obviously not a mortal means of communication, but with resurrected bodies and minds that can think a million times faster I don't think verbal communication will be the most efficient.  Besides, I was referring to communication related jobs will be obsolete.

55 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

As to the rest of your list... it seems like you're implying that because we won't, say...go on vacation as gods that we ought to never go on vacation in mortality. And who needs a job...because...you know...exaltation.

Or am I missing something here?

Again, obviously here in mortality we need some rest, some recreation, and some way to provide a living for our families. This is just my point again to working towards a Zion-like society. Focusing on the most important things as opposed to worldly things. Priorities that lead us to living a celestial lifestyle.

Sigh... Once again some one asks questions but does not listen to the answers...

An inherent problem in any all Share-like system is what to do with those that do not want and will not (Not can not... will not)  Work or Share.  This group is a cancer that will destroy it every time

In the scriptures we have three real examples of the church living the Law of Consecration... And we might benefit from example of how they got set up.  First was the City of Enoch.  Enoch was moving mountains and smiting armies... Clearly the Lord was with Enoch in a very powerful and clear manor.  The second was the early Church with Peter.  The story of Ananias and Sapphira show that the Lord was not allowing anyone to play the system.  Then we have the third.  The Nephites after Christ comes. This was after the Lord acted to the destruction of the wicked.

In two out of three cases where it worked we have the Lord clearly smiting the faithless and fraudulent.  We do not have direct indication of that in the third case but we do have clear indication that God is operating powerfully and directly.

Last I checked God holds the right to judge and smite solely in his own hand.  Which means he has to act to set it up that way.  The only option we have when dealing with the faithless and fraudulent is to try to convert them.  To help them repent, to help them gain faith.  Something the church is spending a great deal of time, money, and energy doing.

If you want to know what you can do? ...Strengthen your own faith and testimony, help other strengthen theirs... help people become converted.... Exactly the things the Church has been encouraging forever and ever.  The rest is in the Lord's hands and always has been.

1 minute ago, LineUponLine said:

I don't understand why you would say this is inaccurate.

At the simplest level: because you cannot baptize yourself.

At a more complex level: ideas as given in places like https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/128.17-18?lang=eng

4 minutes ago, LineUponLine said:

Salvation is individual.

Zion is not a one man show.

I'm a bit surprised that you cannot see how these two ideas are somewhat at odds with each other.

Yes, we choose whether to be saved or not. But we cannot be saved on our own. Zion is, essentially, representative of salvation. If we don't have one (in the end), we won't have the other.

3 minutes ago, LineUponLine said:

Obviously there is no magic number... but it does take more than one.

Okay. 2 then.

So you're confident that no 2 individuals are doing what they need to become Zion?

Or is your consternation just that there's wickedness in the world in general?

7 minutes ago, LineUponLine said:

Focusing on the most important things as opposed to worldly things. Priorities that lead us to living a celestial lifestyle.

I'm pretty sure my having a job fits.

The development of faith in the Lord is an individual matter. Repentance is also an individual matter. Only as an individual can one be baptized and receive the Holy Ghost. Each of us is born individually; likewise, each of us is “born again”8individually. Salvation is an individual matter.

-President Nelson, Conference Talk April 2008

3 minutes ago, LineUponLine said:

The development of faith in the Lord is an individual matter. Repentance is also an individual matter. Only as an individual can one be baptized and receive the Holy Ghost. Each of us is born individually; likewise, each of us is “born again”8individually. Salvation is an individual matter.

-President Nelson, Conference Talk April 2008

Are you even trying to understand my point or are you just determined to win an argument?

I'm not saying salvation isn't an individual matter. I'm saying it is ALSO related to Zion and community.

Can you really not understand that? Can you not see that we must both be baptized and baptize others? That there's group involved in the process?

And, likewise, Zion is not just a community thing, but is also an individual state of each person's heart, and is therefore ALSO an individual thing?

3 hours ago, LineUponLine said:

When I try to imagine what living a celestial life will be like, I think we all would have incomprehensible culture shock due to our lack of preparation. The lifestyle that we are used to is filled with professions with the goal to make a living, make money.  Those things will not exist in a celestial life and we are supposed to be preparing for it.

Communication Telepathy? Revelation?
Education and Training Learning will not cost
Finance No need
Government and Public Administration Christ is King
Health Science No sickness/injury
Hospitality and Tourism No need
Human Services No need
Information Technology No need
Law, Public Safety, Corrections, and Security No war, crime, dishonesty, etc…
Manufacturing No need
Marketing, Sales, and Service No need
Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Learning will not cost
Transportation, Distribution, and Logistics No need

With all these becoming obsolete, what will we be spending our time doing for eternity? It will not be trying to make money. The closer we can move in the direction of a Zion-like society here, the closer we are to living a celestial life

Your and my understanding of the Celestial Kingdom is diametrically opposed.

All those professions that you have despairing listed are skills that Heavenly Father has perfected. 

Let us realize that the privilege to work is a gift, that power to work is a blessing, that love of work is success. – David O McKay

Moses 1:39 This is my work and my glory -

John 5:17 But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work.

Can you explain what you think the Celestial kingdom is in your imagination?

Because, as I understand it, the Celestial kingdom is a place where we will continue to learn and work until we achieve perfection.

It seems to me that you may be shooting for the terrestrial kingdom.  A place where you don’t have to work and everything is provided for you.  

Yes, we will gain the knowledge of those things, but it won't be for any sort of personal income. We won't spend eternity as an accountant, a salesman, or a bus driver but we will use the knowledge to "bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man". God's glory is in having perfect knowledge and using it for creation and perfecting his creations.