History Buff's

Anddenex

2 minutes ago, Anddenex said:

When did the Word of Wisdom become more than "not by commandment or constraint"? @Just_A_Guy @JohnsonJones @Suzie and of course anyone else who has something to offer.

IIRC it was finally made a universal precondition to temple admittance by the Grant administration in the 1920s or 1930s.  But it had been enforced intermittently before then.  It was, I believe, one of the grounds for David Whitmer’s excommunication back in 1838; and I think it was emphasized pretty hard during the “reformation” of 1856.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

8 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

IIRC it was finally made a universal precondition to temple admittance by the Grant administration in the 1920s or 1930s.  But it had been enforced intermittently before then.  It was, I believe, one of the grounds for David Whitmer’s excommunication back in 1838; and I think it was emphasized pretty hard during the “reformation” of 1856.

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I'm about to be off for the summer, so don't have a ton of time to type right now, but that does in a nutshell explanation.

8 hours ago, Scott said:

It became a requirement for temple attendence in 1902.

I think more details are warranted.

Adherence to the proscriptions of the Word of Wisdom was not made a requirement for entry into LDS Church temples until 1902. However, even then, church president Joseph F. Smith encouraged stake presidents to be liberal with old men who used tobacco and old ladies who drank tea.[40] Of those who violated the revelation, it was mainly habitual drunkards that were excluded from the temple.[40] Around the turn of the century, the proscriptions of the Word of Wisdom were not strictly adhered to by such notable church leaders. Anthon H. Lund, a First Counselor in the First Presidency, drank beer and wine; apostle Matthias F. Cowley drank beer and wine; Charles W. Penrose, who also served as a First Counselor in the First Presidency, drank wine; Relief Society general president Emmeline B. Wells drank coffee; and church president George Albert Smith drank brandy for medicinal purposes.[40] In 1921, church president Heber J. Grant made adherence to the proscriptions of the Word of Wisdom an absolute requirement for entering the temple.[40]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_of_Wisdom#Standards_of_adherence

Footnote 40:

After the inauguration of Heber J. Grant's administration in 1918, however, the advice became less flexible. In 1921, church leadership made adherence to the Word of Wisdom a requirement for admission to the temple. Before this stake presidents and bishops had been encouraged to in this matter, but exceptions had been made. Apparently under this new emphasis, in March, 1921, George F. Richards, both as apostle and president of the Salt Lake Temple, phoned two Salt Lake City bishops about two tobacco users who had come to the temple and told the bishops "to try to clean them up before they come here again."15

http://www.dialoguejournal.com/wp-content/uploads/sbi/articles/Dialogue_V14N03_80.pdf

M.

I find the LDS word of wisdom fascinatingly accurate when it comes to providing good sound guidelines for a health code

I saw a dietician (which wasn't cheap by the way!) a while ago and her advice was

High fibre low sugar, lots of fruit and veggies and whole grains

No coffee or tea (especially in the morning, you are already dehydrated and coffee or tea will just make that worse)

Herbal tea is a good choice is you must have something

More lentils and beans and limited meat

Don't drink alcohol and of course don't smoke

Sounds like the word of wisdom to me :) 

As a youth I was aware that my grandfather had a WofW (tobacco) problem.  He served in bishoprics and kept a temple recommend.  There was a term for members like my grandfather that was not too flattering.  The term was "Jack Mormon".  I have not heard that term for some time - and I am grateful.    I believe there is a flaw in many members concerning the WofW.  I do not believe is was given so we can judge others but so that we can discipline ourselves.  My personal WofW covenant is more strict than most members.  It is more strict than recommended by our general authorities.  Interestingly the only criticism I have received for my personal covenants in this regard have been from other Latter-day Saints of Christ.  So I do not share; except on very rare occasions my covenants and blessings I have received because of my more strict observance.   I have learned by sad experience that most Latter-day Saints want to believe their understanding and devotions are the only acceptable understanding of G-d's covenants.

The Traveler

On 5/26/2019 at 10:13 PM, Traveler said:

So I do not share; except on very rare occasions my covenants and blessings I have received because of my more strict observance.   I have learned by sad experience that most Latter-day Saints want to believe their understanding and devotions are the only acceptable understanding of G-d's covenants.

The Traveler

My intention is not for this to come off the wrong way nor to discredit or impugn your more strict observance following of the word of wisdom that is your business and you can follow as you see fit. What stands out to me it that you seem to imply that because of your personal observance of the WOW you have been the beneficiary of greater blessings as a result? As opposed to a "normal" adherent of the WoW.

3 hours ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

My intention is not for this to come off the wrong way nor to discredit or impugn your more strict observance following of the word of wisdom that is your business and you can follow as you see fit. What stands out to me it that you seem to imply that because of your personal observance of the WOW you have been the beneficiary of greater blessings as a result? As opposed to a "normal" adherent of the WoW.

So there is no doubt - there have been blessings on a grand scale both for me as an individual and to those that have respected my personal observance of the WofW that could not have occurred otherwise.  I am convinced that any act of discipline as a promise to G-d that is observed and kept will result in blessings.  Example, promise to practice a musical instrument dedicated for the purpose of inspiring others of Christ - will result in additional blessings - but things done in expectation of personal gain or gratification -- not so much.

The Traveler

PS.  I have observed on many occasions those that offer more than what is generally asked or normally expected will receive a greater blessing than those doing the minimum.

Edited by Traveler

On 5/24/2019 at 12:38 PM, Anddenex said:

When did the Word of Wisdom become more than "not by commandment or constraint"? @Just_A_Guy @JohnsonJones @Suzie and of course anyone else who has something to offer.

Sorry for replying so late. In 1851 during General Conference, Young stated that the Saints had more than enough time to learn about the WOW therefore, he declared it a divine commandment. Theoretically, it sounds great...but we all know that it wasn't embraced as a  commandment right away. Even just before he died in 1877, he continued talking against the use of alcohol, tobacco, tea and coffee and warning the Saints. Leaders after Young seemed to have been extra careful with the use of the word "commandment". IIRC, after Young (and after much discussion and personal interpretations) it was Joseph F. Smith who made the pronouncement about the Word of Wisdom being a commandment and providing the date of the General Conference of 1851 to support his statement.