Fun thought on Urim and Thummim/Seer Stones

From Chapter 6 of "Saints": Sometimes Joseph translated by looking through the interpreters and reading in English the characters on the plates.Often he found a single seer stone to be more convenient. He would put the seer stone in his hat, place his face into the hat to block out the light, and peer at the stone. Light from the stone would shine in the darkness, revealing words that Joseph dictated as Oliver rapidly copied them down.

Just a thought, but it seems to me that in developing technology, without realizing it, the world is trying to create a type of urim and thummim or seer stone in the form of a smartphone. 

Instruments prepared by God to assist man in obtaining revelation and in translating languages. In the Hebrew language the words mean “lights and perfections.” (guide to the scriptures)

The purpose then is to provide knowledge and translations by looking through a stone of sorts.

When I look at my smartphone it allows me to look through a screen created through lights and colors to obtain information that I may not currently have. And I can definitely use a translator for a variety of languages.

I think a big difference is that the seer stone or urim and thummim is able to place that knowledge directly into the mind with clarity (if worthy of using them) whereas on a phone or computer screen it takes more time to process. However, research is in the works to have microchips implanted in the brain and be able to basically "download" information into our brains. (Neuralink). Still a long way off of ever being a realistic product.

10 hours ago, LineUponLine said:

Just a thought, but it seems to me that in developing technology, without realizing it, the world is trying to create a type of urim and thummim or seer stone in the form of a smartphone. 

Your thought is similar to what Elder Uchtdorf shared a couple of years ago.

“In reality, most of us use a kind of ‘seer stone’ every day. My mobile phone is like a ‘seer stone.’ I can get the collected knowledge of the world through a few little inputs. I can take a photo or a video with my phone and share it with family on the other side of our planet. I can even translate anything into or from many different languages!

“If I can do this with my phone, if human beings can do this with their phones or other devices, who are we to say that God could not help Joseph Smith, the Prophet of the Restoration, with his translation work? If it is possible for me to access the knowledge of the world through my phone, who can question that seer stones are impossible for God?

“Many religions have objects, places, and events that are sacred to them. We respect the sacred beliefs of other religions and hope to be respected for our own beliefs and what is sacred to us. We should never be arrogant, but rather polite and humble. We still should have a natural confidence, because this is the Church of Jesus Christ” (Dieter F. Uchtdorf’s Facebook page, post from June 21, 2016, facebook.com/lds.dieter.f.uchtdorf).

11 hours ago, LineUponLine said:

I think a big difference is that the seer stone or urim and thummim is able to place that knowledge directly into the mind with clarity (if worthy of using them) whereas on a phone or computer screen it takes more time to process. However, research is in the works to have microchips implanted in the brain and be able to basically "download" information into our brains. (Neuralink). Still a long way off of ever being a realistic product.

I’ve heard that this sort of thing may be less than a generation off.  Fascinating stuff . . .

38 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I’ve heard that this sort of thing may be less than a generation off.  Fascinating stuff . . .

As i recall, they were able to transfer knowledge of a maze from one rat to another. They couldn't, however, decode or encode information, so only a direct (and apparently pretty accurate) copy was possible. 

So if you want to share your PhD classes with someone, they'll also get all your showers, toilet sessions, etc. for that time period, and if anything is wrong it can't be edited as part of the process. 

I don't remember if it was cumulative though; that would be the real benefit. If you could just continue to load in new data without losing the old, you could find out what it takes to truly max out a human brain.