From Excommunication to Restoration of Blessings: My Ongoing Wait

Church discipline is a common occurrence in the Church and the reprimand can range from informal discipline, such as not taking the sacrament for a short time, to excommunication, which is the highest penalty one can receive. When a person is excommunicated their name is removed from Church records, they can no longer pay tithing, go to the temple, wear garments, or be invited to speak or pray at Church meetings. If the person desires to be readmitted into the Church they can seek to be baptized a year to the day from their excommunication. A year, to the day, after their baptism and confirmation they can apply to receive the restoration of blessings ordinance that restores their previous temple and priesthood blessings. “Afterwards, a new membership record is created, showing the original dates of baptism, endowment, sealing, and (if applicable) priesthood ordinations—with no reference to excommunication,” as if nothing happened” (M. Russell Ballard). My wife and I were looking forward to this time of year, in which I could put...

View the full article