Did you know?

Traveler

This was the greatest winter in Utah - ever - and I can prove it.  This year at my favorite ski resort (Snowbird) we had snow fall of over 700 inches of snow.  This is the most ever since we have been recording snowfall in Utah.  Snowbird is still open on weekends; though the lift line is too long from me and my impatience.  My dear wife is so sick of snow - which is so strange to me because she does not ski - but then, maybe that is why she is sick of it.

Anyway there is prophecy concerning the last days that the desert will blossom as a rose.  If a desert is going to blossom then there will need to be more moisture and we got it this year.  BTW - in Utah they never thank the L-rd for snow or rain in our prayers at church - rather we give prayers of thanks for moisture. (Just in case anyone wondered what we call water in it various states falling from the sky in Utah).  

Is this year an exception or an indication of things to come and another sign of the last days?

The Traveler

13 hours ago, Traveler said:

If a desert is going to blossom then there will need to be more moisture and we got it this year. 

I'm guessing you are referring to blossom of nature (trees, grasses, etc.) vs. a blossom of economy, inhabitants, buildings etc. ?
I suppose I've only ever thought of the latter and never about actual moisture converting desert into lush filled gardens.

Edited by NeedleinA

I understand that “moisture” was traditionally used more by farmers and ranchers; “rain” and “snow” were more frequently used by city-dwellers.  Utah’s quirky preference for “moisture” reveals its agrarian roots—if you were born here, even if you aren’t a farmer, your parents or grandparents probably were. 

Guest Mores

It ain't just Utah.  I keep hearing it everywhere I go.  I don't know why we can't just say "rain" or "snow" as applicable.  They're perfectly acceptable words.  I think they're even more "formal" and "scriptural" sounding than "moisture".  That just sounds like a teenager came up with a word to try to sound erudite... and missed the mark.

28 minutes ago, Mores said:

It ain't just Utah.  I keep hearing it everywhere I go.  I don't know why we can't just say "rain" or "snow" as applicable.  They're perfectly acceptable words.  I think they're even more "formal" and "scriptural" sounding than "moisture".  That just sounds like a teenager came up with a word to try to sound erudite... and missed the mark.

Nah.  It's more like some Star Wars geek.

Guest Scott
On 5/26/2019 at 11:48 PM, Traveler said:

Is this year an exception or an indication of things to come and another sign of the last days?

Although this is great news, my prediction will be that it is an exception.  Last year had one of the lowest snowpack in Utah and overall snowpack has decreased dramatically since the 1960's.  See here:

https://www.postindependent.com/

Along the Wasatch Front, if the Great Salt Lake does dry up (which could happen in the upcoming decades), the Wasatch Front will also lose its lake effect snow.

PS, in my opinion the desert blossoming as a rose has already happened and continues to happen.  The Wasatch front is almost one giant conglomerate of cities now days.  The blossom already happens and continues to happen.

Now, if they can only get rid of those nasty inversions...

Edited by Scott