Phrasing with Blessings

HoundDog83

So I have never posted in a forum like this so I apologize in advance if I am in the wrong place.

I have always struggled with understanding the kind of phrasing that I should use when giving blessings (I don't give very many) and was hoping someone could offer some help. Hopefully I can articulate this well enough to make sense.

When giving a blessing am I speaking for the Lord  - i.e. "The Lord wants you to know that you will make a full recovery" or is just like when praying and we ask for blessing on people -  "We Bless you that you will make a full recovery"?  

I've tried talking to both my Dad and my EQ President about my confusion and either they are unsure or I simply manage to confuse them during our conversations. 

I am blessed to be able to Baptize my son and I know towards the end I can give him a blessing but I'm terrified that it will sound super awkward or out of place!  Thank you in advance for your help and patience!

Guest Mores
2 hours ago, HoundDog83 said:

So I have never posted in a forum like this so I apologize in advance if I am in the wrong place.

I have always struggled with understanding the kind of phrasing that I should use when giving blessings (I don't give very many) and was hoping someone could offer some help. Hopefully I can articulate this well enough to make sense.

When giving a blessing am I speaking for the Lord  - i.e. "The Lord wants you to know that you will make a full recovery" or is just like when praying and we ask for blessing on people -  "We Bless you that you will make a full recovery"?  

I've tried talking to both my Dad and my EQ President about my confusion and either they are unsure or I simply manage to confuse them during our conversations. 

Part of their confusing responses probably come from the fact that you're looking for specific language.  But most of the actual verbiage is up to you.  You're only required to express to the best of your ability, the impressions of the Spirit that you receive.

If you're only saying things from your own wishes and do not reflect an impression from the Spirit, then it isn't a blessing anyway.  There are some exceptions to this.  But you get the idea.

2 hours ago, HoundDog83 said:

I am blessed to be able to Baptize my son and I know towards the end I can give him a blessing but I'm terrified that it will sound super awkward or out of place!  Thank you in advance for your help and patience!

Just a side note here (sorry to be so picky).  You don't actually give him a blessing during or at the end of a "baptism".  But along with a baptism, the confirmation is usually done shortly after the baptism.  It is during the confirmation that you would be giving a blessing.

@Mores - Thank you for your response! I apologize for my lack of specificity when referring to the Blessing. - You are absolutely correct in that it would be in conjunction with the confirmation not the actual Baptism itself.  I was in a bit of a rush when I typed it and should have been more clear. 

I must admit that the problem must be between my ears because the response you gave to me on the phrasing is very similar to those that I have received in the past.  @NeuroTypical - I also appreciate your help with the links to the Handbooks.  I have read it through but continue to get tripped up by this.

When giving a blessing you are supposed to share impressions/promptings that you feel from the Spirit, correct?  Not a laundry list of things that you hope that the individual will receive/experience/become.  Is it because it is supposed to be the Will of the Lord  that "The Lord wants you to know that you will make a full recovery" becomes the same as "We Bless you that you will make a full recovery"? 

I'm sorry to seemingly ask the same questions, but for me I feel them as different things and therefore I worry that one is correct while the other is not...

I think the answer can only be "it depends".  It depends on the unique situation of everyone involved - the person performing the blessing, the person being blessed, and the will of the Lord.  

I try to prepare for such events by having things I want to say.  Sometimes I've been inspired to say other things, or change what I'm saying.  Sometimes I've received no inspiration and delivered the words I had prepared.