How This 70 Resurfaced After Diving Deep Into Anti-Latter-day Saint Material

In January 22, 2019, Elder Lawrence E. Corbridge of the Quorum of the Seventy gave an incredible devotional at Brigham Young University. He touched on how to find truth and the truth he found after completing a rather unusual task: As part of an assignment I had as a General Authority a few years ago, I needed to read through a great deal of material antagonistic to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the Prophet Joseph Smith, the Book of Mormon, and the events of the Restoration. There may not be anything out there of that nature I haven’t read. For the next 27 minutes, Elder Corbridge explains what he learned from the experience. Watch the video below, or continue reading for a summary of his devotional: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSEsLtwKzvw Primary and secondary questions Elder Corbridge's goal in this speech is to answer the question: How do we close the gap between our beliefs and the truth? One of the ways he suggests accomplishing this is to focus on primary questions instead of...

View the full article

I enjoyed this article and found it interesting that that an assignment was given to dig around in the muck. I get the reasoning for it. I mostly enjoyed his insight on focusing on the Primary questions and not the endless secondary ones.

Guest Mores
13 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

I enjoyed this article and found it interesting that that an assignment was given to dig around in the muck. I get the reasoning for it. I mostly enjoyed his insight on focusing on the Primary questions and not the endless secondary ones.

I enjoyed it too.  Often times when people ask about trivial questions, I try to ask,"Why is this so important to you?"  A certain person on this forum is often guilty of this.  She's a master of looking beyond the mark.

It really boils down to our fundamental assumptions that cannot be proven or disproven.  We simply believe it or we don't.  If we don't believe it, then we react poorly whenever some question comes up that we cannot answer.  If we believe it, then we simply keep looking until we find the answer.  Many times, the best initial response is,"I don't know.  I'll have to pray about that for a while."

I often believe that the most difficult issues are really a result of our desire to cling to cultural beliefs and try to make them match our religious beliefs.  So, what happens when there is a clash?  We try to make excuses.  We try to explain it away via cultural logic.  The reality is "Culture has it wrong."  And if that is so, we need not make excuses.  The Lord has said what He has said.  He's done what He has done.  And He excuses not himself.

The sooner we undertand and take to heart the fact that the Lord's ways are not our ways, the sooner we can be comfortable with all the blessings He has given us and is waiting to give us.

Edited by Mores