Does AOC Wear Glasses to Make Her Look Smarter?

Guest Mores

Guest Mores

71931790_aoc(1).jpg.cd6c5f47c2dedc35f979bcf8377d9e6a.jpg

If you look at the outline of her face through her left lens, you realize it doesn't distort... AT ALL.  The same is true in other photos I've seen.  That makes me wonder how trivial a prescription she must have.  So, I'm wondering if she uses that because she thinks it gives her more intellectual credibility.  Heaven knows she needs it.

To be fair, I also thought the same thing about Sarah Palin.

Palin1.jpg.d651fdc9d7e4564a7a1c9fc04e091a1e.jpg

Virtually NO distortion.  But in her case, I believe she does it for glamour rather than credibility.  If you've seen photos without glasses, her bone structure around her eyes is misshapen.  The glasses tend to cover that up.

I heard that Rick Perry also did the same thing as AOC.  He believed he "looked smarter" with the glasses.  There were some times where he thought the "glamour shot" was important.  And others where he believed the "intellectual" was needed.  So, he switched back and forth for maximum effect.

BTW, this is not meant to be critical.  I don't think there is anything wrong with "dressing for the part".  But in AOC's case, I don't think it helps much.

Edited by Mores

Well, you aren't the first person on the internet to ask this question.  But you might be the second.

This reddit is the only other link I can find asking the question: 

So even if they aren't necessary, it doesn't seem that very many people care.

For what it's worth, vanity glasses (or glasses as fashion accessory) aren't a thing that bother me.  I even considered them before I developed a need for them, just to add to the "nerd look." 

I have something like 20/250 in my left eye, but my glasses don’t distort much either.  

Having worn glasses since 1st grade (except for the two years of my mission, because I was constantly sweating in the Amazon rainforest and glasses just weren’t worth the vision improvement) and being, for various reasons, simply unable to do contacts—I guess it never really occurred to me that someone who didn’t need glasses might wear them consistently purely as a fashion statement.

Guest Mores
2 hours ago, MarginOfError said:

This reddit is the only other link I can find asking the question: 

Wait, so she's got at least five different frames?  You gotta understand, I come from a world where you only get a second pair if they're "buy one get one free" deals.  To have FIVE frames?  And she's trying to play the poor starving barista raised in the Bronx card all the time?

Sheesh!!

So even if they aren't necessary, it doesn't seem that very many people care.

I wouldn't either.  I think it's an amusing curiosity. Nothing more.

For what it's worth, vanity glasses (or glasses as fashion accessory) aren't a thing that bother me.  I even considered them before I developed a need for them, just to add to the "nerd look." 

"Vanity glasses".  I never realized this was such a widespread phenomenon that there is a term for it.  I'll borrow a comment from the movie "Broken Arrow"

I don't know which is more disturbing the fact that people do it at all or that it's common enough that there's a term for it.

Guest Mores
2 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I have something like 20/250 in my left eye, but my glasses don’t distort much either.  

Actually, they do.

Even your right eye distorts a bit.  But the left eye distorts more. 

Even with "vanity glasses" (thank you, MOE) there is distortion along the edges.  But in your case, the left lens shows distrotion of some lines from your cheek to the tear duct.

But I suppose that with a very light prescription, glasses may not distort to the casual observer.

Edited by Mores

@Mores  If it is the reason she is wearing glasses - it is not working with anyone in the population with an IQ above room temperature.   But it may mean that it is working for most politicians and lots of others caught up in the idea that anyone is actually right (justified) concerning political right wing - left wing discussions. 

The Traveler

14 hours ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

Alexandria got in trouble with DC Comics for copyright infringement on the below picture.  In my opinion she is difinitely not a Wonder Woman.

To clarify, Devil's Due received a cease-and-desist letter for the cover. AOC herself was not a party to the issue.