Matt 24

Traveler

Matt 24 was the main topic for SS in my word this Sunday and in my personal reading I spotted something I have never realized before.  The chapter starts out talking about the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem and continues with the second coming.  What I had not noticed is that all the bad things - wars, earthquakes, plagues and so on started with the destruction of the temple and would continue until Jesus returns.  What appears to be the great difference to set apart the "Last-days" is the restoration of the Kingdom of G-d and that the Kingdom of G-d would be preached (taken to) every nation kindred, tongue and people.  I had thought that all the bad stuff was the main sign of the end but it appears that the restoration is the BIG sign that the end is near and that Jesus would return soon.

The Traveler

I've heard that most of those general, natural/human disaster signs in Matthew 24 are like birth pangs. We've always had them, but they will gradually grow more and more common and more and more severe. That Christianity is now over 2 billion strong, that China has over 100 million Christians, that the African continent is more than 50% Christian, and that Wycliffe Translators say that portions of the Bible will be available in every written language on earth within a generation...these do lead me to agree--Jesus will return soon.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2019 at 7:02 PM, Traveler said:

I had thought that all the bad stuff was the main sign of the end but it appears that the restoration is the BIG sign that the end is near and that Jesus would return soon.

Quoting one verse of the whole - "For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall
shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect
."

The language seems similar to that describing the false prophet of Revelation chapters 13 and

Do you think Matthew 24:15-24 refers to a future time of great apostasy?

Thanks,
Jim

On 6/2/2019 at 7:02 PM, Traveler said:

Matt 24 was the main topic for SS in my word this Sunday and in my personal reading I spotted something I have never realized before.  The chapter starts out talking about the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem and continues with the second coming.  What I had not noticed is that all the bad things - wars, earthquakes, plagues and so on started with the destruction of the temple and would continue until Jesus returns.  What appears to be the great difference to set apart the "Last-days" is the restoration of the Kingdom of G-d and that the Kingdom of G-d would be preached (taken to) every nation kindred, tongue and people.  I had thought that all the bad stuff was the main sign of the end but it appears that the restoration is the BIG sign that the end is near and that Jesus would return soon.

The Traveler

The Book of Mormon is all about that!

Guest Mores
14 hours ago, theplains said:

Quoting one verse of the whole - "For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall
shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect
."

The language seems similar to that describing the false prophet of Revelation chapters 13 and

Thanks,
Jim

Haven't we already had great schisms since Joseph Smith?

Most recently, we've had Denver Snuffer.

And now, the gospel of liberalism is certainly taking away and deceiving even the elect.

Edited by Mores

16 hours ago, theplains said:

."

Thanks,
Jim

I believe you are asking a good and important question.  It would seem that since the days of Cain there has been apostasy in every dispensation.   Isaiah describes apostasy - not as a time of false belief and doctrine but the completion of three critical elements of apostasy:

#1. Transgression of the Law

#2. Changing of the Ordinances

#3. Breaking the everlasting covenant (Marriage).

I would add that to follow apostasy as Isaiah describes would of necessary bring about misconceptions of doctrine.  I bring this up because it may be possible that misconceptions of doctrine do not necessarily bring about apostasy.  I could provide many examples in scripture where the principle of repentance and compassion prevented apostasy.

But you ask a question concerning false Christs.  The term "Christ" comes to us from the ancient Greek.  From ancient Hebrew the term is Messiah.  Sometimes I wonder if the term Christ carries misconceptions more so than Messiah.  Basically both terms mean "Anointed" but in a context inclusive beyond what some consider - or with broader definition (doctrine) than is seldom emphasised.  It is inclusive of divine appointment of the following:

1. King: which is ownership of wealth, riches and all physical things (including the pets we think we own, our bodies, even the air we breathe).

2. Interpreter or sovereign of the law.  We like to think we are free but we are only free if we are so gifted by the Messiah or one anointed.

3. Judge.  I should not have to explain what this means.  But I would add that it is not what we do or do not do it is what is accepted or rejected by the Judge that defines "Justice" or having been judged.  Jesus said it is not what it appears to be - not what is on the outside but we are judged for what is inside our heart (or core of our being - not what is controlling or emotions or pumping our blood). 

4. Priest.  This is the one from who we receive ordinance, through who we obtain divine direction, forgiveness of our sins.

5. Savior.  Though this is somewhat similar to Priest and King - I list it separately because it requires sacrifice - even unto death and the power to restore life.

6. Protector.  The one that will subdue all our enemies and protect (deliver) us from all that intend us harm.  The protector is the commander of armies and police

7. Procter.  The one that controls our trials, teaches us our destiny and determines when we have completed our purpose.

8. Demigod.  With both human and g-d parientage. 

The may be other elements - but I make this list to broaden and expand understanding not to define it.   Historically there have been a number of individuals that have claimed to be the divine anointed one.  Perhaps the oldest in history is Zoroaster (I have my personal belief but I list this first).  Another famous in history and scripture is Baal.  Another famous historical figure was Alexander the Great.  Actually, since Jesus I am not aware of a claim of Christ.  But Matt 24 also makes a reference that there will be many that claim to come in the Name of Christ (Prophets).  Because we live in a republic democracy very few understand what it means to be sent in the name of someone else or to take upon the name of someone else.  It is the idea of "His Name" that I believe to be of most importance in our time.

The idea of a restoration indicates that the Messiah (Christ) is being represented in name (which is a meaning of Apostle) .  I would point out that the Catholic Church and in particular the Pope claim the authority of the Messiah by name.  Most protestants, as I understand, think that anyone that believes in Jesus has right to (authority of) his name.  Other than the Catholic Church - I am not aware of any other Church other than the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that claims unbroken Apostolic authority to the name of Christ or Messiah.  But there is also something else - the Book of Mormon describes this something else as "The Great and Abominable Church".  This is the church, organization and kingdom of Satan.  The Book of Revelation describes this as as "The Antichrist".   It is my personal belief that many will believe the Antichrist to be Jesus returned.  And though I believe many have walked among us in the name of the Antichrist - I am not sure and do not believe that the Antichrist has been manifested - yet.  

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

2 hours ago, Mores said:

Haven't we already had great schisms since Joseph Smith?

Most recently, we've had Denver Snuffer.

And now, the gospel of liberalism is certainly taking away and deceiving even the elect.

I see these as rather minor schisms.   And I believe that the so called "conservative" gospel is more likely to deceive even the very elect.  Liberalism will only deceive the really stupid, silly and naive. 

The Traveler

Guest Mores
1 hour ago, Traveler said:

I believe that the so called "conservative" gospel is more likely to deceive even the very elect.  Liberalism will only deceive the really stupid, silly and naive. 

:crackup::animatedlol:

I both disagree and can't argue.

On 6/13/2019 at 11:29 AM, Traveler said:

I am not sure and do not believe that the Antichrist has been manifested - yet. 

Is this the future event you had in mind?

Rev 19:19  And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against
him that sat on the horse, and against his army. 

Rev 19:20  And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he
deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast
alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone. 

Rev 19:21  And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out
of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh.

Thanks,
Jim

22 hours ago, theplains said:

Is this the future event you had in mind?

Rev 19:19  And I saw the beast, and the kings of the earth, and their armies, gathered together to make war against
him that sat on the horse, and against his army. 

Rev 19:20  And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he
deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast
alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone. 

Rev 19:21  And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out
of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh.

Thanks,
Jim

I believe so

The Traveler