drugs and gun violence

Traveler

If one Googles drugs and gun violence they will discover that there is a direct connection between prescribed psychotropic antidepressants and mass shootings.  And the single most common denominator in lone wolf ISIS attacks is drug addictions.  Why is there such an outcry over the 2nd amendment?  Why not target drugs?  I am also wondering how much marijuana may contribute?  It is a fact that mixing drugs can cause problems - and this includes alcohol and I suspect marijuana.  

So I wonder why when guns are singled out do we as citizens not demand more information about drug connections.  Why are drugs getting a pass and not included in background checks?

The Traveler

Guest MormonGator

Many people take anti depressants.  About .000000000001% of "them" go on killing sprees.
Many people smoke marijuana and drink alcohol. About .00000000000000001 of "them" go on killing sprees. 
The second amendment isn't the problem. Neither is alcohol, weed, or Prozac. 

I think we (generic) tend to blame things we don't like or understand. Don't like heavy metal? Blame it when a kid shoots up a school. Don't like anti-depressants? Blame them when an office worker brings a gun to work. Don't like video games? Blame them when your daughter can't find a date. Don't like guns? Blame them and gun owners when there is a mass shooting. 

The real problem with mass shootings? Many, many factors. Mostly human evil. 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest Scott
5 hours ago, Traveler said:

If one Googles drugs and gun violence they will discover that there is a direct connection between prescribed psychotropic antidepressants and mass shootings. 

I think you are looking at this a bit backwards.   The people committing the shootings were depressed and thus they  went on the drugs.   Depressed people have  committed several of the shootings. 

Guest Mores
20 minutes ago, Scott said:

I think you are looking at this a bit backwards.   The people committing the shootings were depressed and thus they  went on the drugs.   Depressed people have  committed several of the shootings. 

I'm not sure if this was Traveler's intent.  But I was thinking of the connection between guns and drugs as a big deal.  Drug dealers and lords (including many street gangs) end up shooting an awful lot of people in many of their transactions.  And the statistic of "mass shootings" are mostly drug deals going bad.  (Note: that was a cursory read of the statistic.  I'd need to confirm that, but I believe it to be right).

6 hours ago, Traveler said:

If one Googles drugs and gun violence they will discover that there is a direct connection between prescribed psychotropic antidepressants and mass shootings.  And the single most common denominator in lone wolf ISIS attacks is drug addictions.  Why is there such an outcry over the 2nd amendment?  Why not target drugs?  I am also wondering how much marijuana may contribute?  It is a fact that mixing drugs can cause problems - and this includes alcohol and I suspect marijuana.  

So I wonder why when guns are singled out do we as citizens not demand more information about drug connections.  Why are drugs getting a pass and not included in background checks?

The Traveler

As powerful as some of the gun lobbyists are, I believe the pharmaceutical companies are the heavy-hitters...especially with Liberals.  

(For what it's worth, I am an avid supporter of gun rights in nearly all arenas.  My father was a sniper and we are very pro-2nd Amendment at my synagogue.)

Even today, people have a huge problem with wrapping their mind around the fact that WE HAVE A DRUG PROBLEM in the United States.  All the millions poured into studies and the billions in care still have gained little to no ground in stopping the epidemic (even pandemic) of illicit drug use.

We live, unfortunately, in a society that will blame everything (every extenuating circumstance) and every other person instead of the person actually doing the bad thing.  In some cases, such as that of drug use and its ties to gun violence, there is a culprit.  Still, the fault remains on the individual, imho, and not the guns (especially) or the drugs.  Let's say that a young woman gets on a bus and sees a pair of earrings someone is wearing that she fancies.  She decides to take them by use of violent force.  Then she's caught.  In court, her attorneys will say that she did it because of her upbringing.  They will blame the schools for not taking the initiative to notice she was struggling.  They will blame the community for having a lack of sufficient programs to help troubled youth.  They will blame the victim for wearing expensive jewelry in pubic.  The blame is heaped on everyone EXCEPT the perpetrator.  It is as if the perpetrator of the crime played no part in the crime itself and bares no burden of responsibility.

It is a classic case of Judge Judy's famous, "Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining." 

I work closely with the mayor of Las Vegas as part of a Faith Initiative that she started, and the problem with drugs (especially youth) in this community is astronomical.  It is heartbreaking.

It is easier by far to blame guns.  Guns are the problem.  Opioids and other drugs such as the psychotropic drugs you mentioned only ever do people good, right?  *sigh*

Good points you make!  :)

Edited by Aish HaTorah

17 hours ago, Aish HaTorah said:

As powerful as some of the gun lobbyists are, I believe the pharmaceutical companies are the heavy-hitters...especially with Liberals.  

(For what it's worth, I am an avid supporter of gun rights in nearly all arenas.  My father was a sniper and we are very pro-2nd Amendment at my synagogue.)

Even today, people have a huge problem with wrapping their mind around the fact that WE HAVE A DRUG PROBLEM in the United States.  All the millions poured into studies and the billions in care still have gained little to no ground in stopping the epidemic (even pandemic) of illicit drug use.

We live, unfortunately, in a society that will blame everything (every extenuating circumstance) and every other person instead of the person actually doing the bad thing.  In some cases, such as that of drug use and its ties to gun violence, there is a culprit.  Still, the fault remains on the individual, imho, and not the guns (especially) or the drugs.  Let's say that a young woman gets on a bus and sees a pair of earrings someone is wearing that she fancies.  She decides to take them by use of violent force.  Then she's caught.  In court, her attorneys will say that she did it because of her upbringing.  They will blame the schools for not taking the initiative to notice she was struggling.  They will blame the community for having a lack of sufficient programs to help troubled youth.  They will blame the victim for wearing expensive jewelry in pubic.  The blame is heaped on everyone EXCEPT the perpetrator.  It is as if the perpetrator of the crime played no part in the crime itself and bares no burden of responsibility.

It is a classic case of Judge Judy's famous, "Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining." 

I work closely with the mayor of Las Vegas as part of a Faith Initiative that she started, and the problem with drugs (especially youth) in this community is astronomical.  It is heartbreaking.

It is easier by far to blame guns.  Guns are the problem.  Opioids and other drugs such as the psychotropic drugs you mentioned only ever do people good, right?  *sigh*

Good points you make!  :)

Thanks you for your response.  Few things are new - Ecc 1:9-10.  There are echoes in history.  What we see currently in the USA - the world's leading superpower is frighteningly similar to a historical fall of a world leading superpower through the opium wars (100 years of shame) of China which finally was resolved by the collapse of thousands of years of tradition and the rise of tranicial oppressive Communism.  China's internal violence, crime and even political corruption were all related directly to the opium trade and international drug cartel. 

The Traveler

On 6/3/2019 at 10:47 AM, MormonGator said:

Many people take anti depressants.  About .000000000001% of "them" go on killing sprees.
Many people smoke marijuana and drink alcohol. About .00000000000000001 of "them" go on killing sprees. 
The second amendment isn't the problem. Neither is alcohol, weed, or Prozac. 

I think we (generic) tend to blame things we don't like or understand. Don't like heavy metal? Blame it when a kid shoots up a school. Don't like anti-depressants? Blame them when an office worker brings a gun to work. Don't like video games? Blame them when your daughter can't find a date. Don't like guns? Blame them and gun owners when there is a mass shooting. 

The real problem with mass shootings? Many, many factors. Mostly human evil. 

Yep, there may be a connection to the drugs and video games, but the real cause of mass killing tends to be that some people are just plain evil. They are not outside of their minds, they are the most sane people you can find, they are just bad people with bad motivations in life. Look at the Vegas shooting, that guy methodically planned it and then did it. He was just an evil man that wanted to cause as much suffering as possible before he took the expressway to hell via bullet.