This Week in Onion News!

clbent04

June 3, 2019 - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced it will no longer allow online users to access its website through URLs such as www.lds.org or www.thechurchofjesuschrist.org.  Online users will now be required to enter the Church's full and official name to access the website:

www.thechurchofjesuschristoflatterdaysaints.org

The change has been received with mixed reviews. 

Tom from Georgia writes, "I like that it's the official name of the Church in the URL, but I keep forgetting if I need to add the hyphen in between "Latter" and "day".

Cindy from Michigan writes, "I think this is a good move."

John from Ohio states, "Everyone just needs to suck it up and get their GWAM on!"

Edited by Just_A_Guy
Corrected thread title

Guest Mores
13 hours ago, clbent04 said:

June 3, 2019 - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced it will no longer allow online users to access its website through URLs such as www.lds.org or www.thechurchofjesuschrist.org.  Online users will now be required to enter the Church's full and official name to access the website:

www.thechurchofjesuschristoflatterdaysaints.org

When is it supposed to take place?  I can still access it by typing www.lds.org.  And the re-direct isn't even the full name.  It's <<www.churchofjesuschrist.org>>.

I'm pretty sure this is a bogus story.  The url thechurchofjesuschrist.org isn't even owned by the Church.  

What's more, many of the web based properties haven't been transitioned to the new url base.  For instance, if I try lcr.churchofjesuschrist.org, I get nothing.  I still have to use lcr.lds.org.  And if I attempt to access Leader and Clerk Resources from churchofjesuschrist.org, I get redirected to lcr.lds.org.

Guest Mores
7 minutes ago, MarginOfError said:

I'm pretty sure this is a bogus story.  The url thechurchofjesuschrist.org isn't even owned by the Church.  

What's more, many of the web based properties haven't been transitioned to the new url base.  For instance, if I try lcr.churchofjesuschrist.org, I get nothing.  I still have to use lcr.lds.org.  And if I attempt to access Leader and Clerk Resources from churchofjesuschrist.org, I get redirected to lcr.lds.org.

I'm not sure what the "lcr" is.  just type

www.churchofjesuschrist.org

And, yes, it is owned by the Church.  It is the Church website. see: https://www.netim.com/domain-name/whois-search.html

You entered "the" in the first line of your post.  With the "the", the site is the Bickertonite website.

Edited by Mores

1 minute ago, Mores said:

And, yes, it is owned by the Church.  It is the Church website. see: https://www.netim.com/domain-name/whois-search.html

You entered "the" in the first line of your post.  With the "the", the site is the Bickertonite website.

lcr.lds.org is the link to Leader and Clerk Resources, which is where we manage membership records, finances, temple recommends, ministering, etc.  It is essential to the administrative function of the Church. The fact that it is not available as lcr.churchofjesuschrist.org indicates that conversion of the web properties is far from complete.

And the reason I used "thechurchofjesuschrist.org" is because @clbent04 included in the OP

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced it will no longer allow online users to access its website through URLs such as www.lds.org or www.thechurchofjesuschrist.org.

The Church would have no reason to include that particular URL in a press release because, as you point out, the Church does not own that URL. Hence, my claim that this is a bogus story.

1 hour ago, clbent04 said:

@MarginOfError @Mores

This is just onion news, meaning it's fake news. I don't think the Church would ever do this, but I guess it could be possible. I see them always maintaining the current URLs to redirect to the Church's website.

Oh, it’s “Onion”, not “Union”?  I’ll edit the thread title.

Guest Mores
1 hour ago, clbent04 said:

This is just onion news,...

19 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

6 minutes ago, clbent04 said:

Lol good catch. Thx

Uhm... yeah...

I'll be sure to ignore your posts from here on out.

29 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

When you wake up and forget how to spell. The way "onion" is pronounced led to my brain misspelling it. A botched job of trying to phonetically spell it. 

4 hours ago, Mores said:

If this is really from The Onion then they probably added "the" just to mess with people even further.

Is "The Onion" really still going? I used to go there all the time - though some of it was rather naughty!

A couple of religious humour sites I used to enjoy were "Landover Baptist" (a parody of ultra-conservative Protestantism) and "Ship of Fools". The latter had a section called "Loose Canons" (sic) which told true stories of the wackiest churchmen over the centuries. An article I particularly remember was about the "worst ever vicar" who farmed pigs in his churchyard to fund his life of debauchery and - when he was finally sacked - holed himself up in the vicarage with his latest mistress and a very large shotgun which he fired at anyone who came near (including the village squire!). They eventually had to starve him into submission. 

2 minutes ago, Mores said:

@anatess2 is right.  Mt. Dew tastes better than Pepsi.

The Dew also has a whopping 91ppm of caffeine on a 20 ouncer whereas Pepsi only has 63ppm.  Gets you "more functional".  Hah hah.

* So back in the 80's, Mountain Dew was a required drink for coders (well, I was in the Philippines, not sure if it was also the same in the US) so much so that people avoided Mountain Dew to avoid being thought of as a nerd.

Guest Mores
19 minutes ago, Vort said:

I have it on good authority that horse urine tastes better than cat urine. Perhaps relative taste preference should not be the standard.

Yes, it's true.  Part of it is the horse's herbivorous diet. And the cat... nevermind.

BTW, if anyone wants to taste Mt. Dew without the caffeine:

1 part Orange Soda

1 part Squirt

1/10th part orange zest tea.

Edited by Mores