Pope Francis Just Changed the Lord’s Prayer; Parallels Joseph Smith’s Translation

According to christianpost.com, "Pope Francis has officially approved a change to the Lord's Prayer in Matthew 6:13 that replaces 'lead us not into temptation' with 'do not let us fall into temptation.'" It's a move the Pope has been pushing for since 2017, when he said that Matthew 6:13 is a poor translation, because it describes a God that leads people into temptation. "What induces into temptation is Satan," the Pope said in 2017. Joseph Smith Translation The Lord's Prayer in Matthew 6, according to the Revised Standard Version (Catholic edition) of the Bible, reads thusly: Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, On earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; And forgive us our debts, As we also have forgiven our debtors; And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil. Pope Francis is changing the Lord's Prayer for Catholics to the following (changes bolded): Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy...

View the full article

I was well-pleased to see this thread.  This is a topic of some interest to me, and I find it fascinating how very Jewish Jesus was in his words and in his living.

For what it's worth (you may find this interesting as well)...

The invocation Avinu ("Our Father") is one common in Jewish liturgy, especially in the Rosh Hashanah (Jewish New Year) prayer,  "Our Father, our King! Disclose the glory of Thy Kingdom unto us speedily."  

There are also strong elements of another part of liturgy we say in a prayer called Kaddish.  There are many different versions of this prayer (on called the Mourner's Kaddish, for example, that we say for those mourning the loss of a close family member), but one common phrase it contains is, "May His great name be hallowed in the world which He created, according to His will, and may He establish His Kingdom . . . speedily and at a near time."  Later in the prayer, we proclaim with conviction, "Magnified and hallowed . . . be the name of the supreme King of Kings in the worlds which He created, this world and the world to come, in accordance with His will . . . and may we see Him eye to eye when He returneth to His habitation." 

The rest of the L-rd's Prayer, also, stands in close relation to the Messianic expectation that existed (and still exists) among the Jews of the Second Temple period. R. Eliezer said: "He who created the day created also its provision; wherefore he who, while having sufficient food for the day, says: 'What shall I eat to-morrow?' belongs to the men of little faith such as were the Israelites at the giving of the manna."  This is deeply fascinating when contemplating that Jesus said: "Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat or . . . drink. . . . . O ye of little faith. . . . Seek ye first the Kingdom of God, . . . and all these things shall be added to you."  Faith being thus the prerequisite of those that wait for the Messianic time, it behooves them to pray, in the words of Solomon, "Give us our apportioned bread," that is, the bread we need daily and for which we give thanks and praise to G-d.

Before eating a meal (containing bread), we recite the following:

ברוך אתה האלוהינו, מלך העולם, המוציא לחם מן הארץ.

"Blessed art Thou, O L-rd our G-d, who brings forth bread from the earth."

Repentance being another prerequisite of redemption, a prayer for forgiveness of sin is also required in this connection. But on this point special stress was laid by the Jewish sages of old. "Forgive thy neighbor the hurt that he hath done unto thee, so shall thy sins also be forgiven when thou prayest," says Ben Sira. "To whom is sin pardoned? To him who forgiveth injury."  Accordingly Jesus said: "Whensoever ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have aught against any one; that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses."  It was this precept which prompted the formula "And forgive us our sins as we also forgive those that have sinned against us."

And then we get to the thrust of this thread...that fascinating line that says, "and lead us not into temptation."

This also is found in the Jewish morning prayer..."Never should a man bring himself into temptation as David did, saying, 'Examine me, O Lord, and prove me.'" And as sin is the work of the Evil One (what you would probably call Satan), there comes the final prayer, "But deliver us from the evil one [Satan]."

The doxology added in Book of Matthew, following a number of manuscripts, is a portion of I Chronicles 29:11, and was the liturgical chant with which the L-rd's Prayer was concluded in the Church.  Interestingly (at least to me), it occurs in the Jewish ritual also, the whole verse being chanted at the opening of the Ark of the Torah.

Edited by Aish HaTorah