Temple Recommend Requirements for General Authorities (i.e. President Nelson)

Xavier

So, I have been searching documentation and/or a source from official church sources to back up the notion that a general authority does need a recommend to enter the temple, but such, is a lifetime recommend and does not expire. 

Does anyone know where I can find this information, or anything to expose something completely different?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

I remember hearing a general authority tell that he would meet with his bishop for tithing settlement at the end of each year, so I believe that while it may seem redundant coming from a general authority I would think they still follow the procedure to have a recommend interview with their Bishop and Stake President when needed.  The simple act of declaring their worthiness is still an important rite of passage if you will. Even apostles can make errors and may need to repent of something from time to time.

From my time as an ordinance worker (mind you, this was 15 years ago) we were told that, when manning the front desk, General Authorities would have temple recommends that looked a little different and were only signed by themselves.  I never saw one. 

But they do have a different recommend.  I have no documentation to verify this.  I imagine it is in the temple presidency handbooks.

I recall an account from an address given at General Conference, probably between 3 - 5 years ago, I can't remember who by, of a time when whoever was telling the story, approached the desk at the Salt Lake temple and handed over their recommend. Because it looked different (and no information was provided as to how it looked different) the person at the desk said they didn't accept that kind of card. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 5:13 PM, mdfxdb said:

I believe they sign their own recommends.  Just like mission presidents.

Does the LDS President need to have someone evaluate him for a temple recommend
too or does he automatically get one for a lifetime duration?

Thank you,

Gale

4 hours ago, GaleG said:

Does the LDS President need to have someone evaluate him for a temple recommend
too or does he automatically get one for a lifetime duration?

Thank you,

Gale

I don’t know that there’s such a thing as a “lifetime temple recommend”.  But I think he has the prerogative to sign his own recommend every two years when it’s up for renewal.  

If you’re asking more generally about whether the prophet is accountable to anyone for misconduct:  our scripture does include a provision for bringing members of the First Presidency who are accused of wrongdoing, before the “common council of the Church”.  The scripture isn’t terribly specific about how that works; and I think the last time that happened was in the 1840s; but it would almost certainly require the consent of the Church’s Presiding Bishop.

16 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I don’t know that there’s such a thing as a “lifetime temple recommend”.  But I think he has the prerogative to sign his own recommend every two years when it’s up for renewal.  

Actually I've heard tell of laminated "lifetime" recommends.

12 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

. . . Given out by three mysterious strangers who suddenly vanished into thin air?  😛 

Haha.

Assuming you care for the rumor source, it was from temple workers (when I worked at the temple) who had an apostle visit and witnessed said theoretical magical talisman.

I'm not saying I put complete faith is said rumor. But I don't discount the possibility either.

Edited by The Folk Prophet