"A Review of the Annotated Edition of the Book of Mormon"

tesuji

On 6/9/2019 at 2:43 PM, tesuji said:

This appears to be a very poorly researched book, and to be full of misleading teachings about the Book of Mormon.

"A Review of the Annotated Edition of the Book of Mormon" By Stephen Smoot
https://www.plonialmonimormon.com/2019/06/a-review-of-the-annotated-edition-of-the-book-of-mormon-part-1.html

For some reason, reading a bit of the conclusion of the review made me want to go out and immediately purchase the edition.

Guest Mores
On 6/9/2019 at 7:33 PM, Vort said:

I so much do not want to get involved in another Meldrum poop-storm, with antiMormons like Markk sharing their "insights".

Who are Meldrum and Markk?

Last night we were reading Alma 2 as a family and my son asked if we know where the River of Sidon was.

After a second I said, "No, we don't know. There are some that believe it is the Mississippi or the St. Lawrence river. Some believe it is in Central or South America, some believe it is in Baja California and I think it could be out west somewhere."

I then told him that it does not matter where it was, what matters is that it was in the Americas and that the events of the Book of Mormon tell of events that really happened. I know some BYU professors and others think it is some allegorical story, but I know that the Spirit has testified to me that it is true. 

All of these arguments about Where and How do nothing to strengthen testimonies of the restored gospel and in fact damage testimonies. So, please tread lightly.

2 hours ago, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Last night we were reading Alma 2 as a family and my son asked if we know where the River of Sidon was.

After a second I said, "No, we don't know. There are some that believe it is the Mississippi or the St. Lawrence river. Some believe it is in Central or South America, some believe it is in Baja California and I think it could be out west somewhere."

I then told him that it does not matter where it was, what matters is that it was in the Americas and that the events of the Book of Mormon tell of events that really happened. I know some BYU professors and others think it is some allegorical story, but I know that the Spirit has testified to me that it is true. 

All of these arguments about Where and How do nothing to strengthen testimonies of the restored gospel and in fact damage testimonies. So, please tread lightly.

I believe it is important to realize the the Mulekites and not the Lehites named the river Sidon.  Sidon was the name of the capital of the Phoenicians and the Phoenicians were a seafaring society that was friendly to Israel going back to king David - and the king of Phoenicia (Hyram).   This little tidbit is evidence of the Book of Mormon having a connection to history and a vast array of historical speculation, even though such things are not explained in the Book of Mormon text that any document written strictly for historical purposes should have done.  The Book of Mormon is divinely inspired prophetic for our day and time.  But I do find so very interesting that the river of such great importance to the Nephites was named Sidon.

The Traveler

On 6/11/2019 at 1:54 PM, Traveler said:

But I do find so very interesting that the river of such great importance to the Nephites was named Sidon

I also found this:

Alma 21:1 - "Now when Ammon and his brethren separated themselves in the borders of the land 
of the Lamanites, behold Aaron took his journey towards the land which was called by the 
Lamanites, Jerusalem, calling it after the land of their fathers' nativity; and it was away 
joining the borders of Mormon
."

Thanks,
Jim

22 hours ago, theplains said:

I also found this:

Alma 21:1 - "Now when Ammon and his brethren separated themselves in the borders of the land 
of the Lamanites, behold Aaron took his journey towards the land which was called by the 
Lamanites, Jerusalem, calling it after the land of their fathers' nativity; and it was away 
joining the borders of Mormon
."

Thanks,
Jim

As a side note - not intended to derail anything - anciently the term "borders" (especially the plural) may not be what some think as in the border between Mexico and the USA.  Borders was a reference to a mountain range that divides the landscape - like the Wasatch front mountains in SLC.  This would take a New York placement of certain BofM events off the table.

The Traveler

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, theplains said:

When you download the PDF file and open it, an advanced search for Cumorah will reveal all of them.
search).

Thanks,
Jim

I didn't even have to download the PDF. There's already a search function built in. I read President Grant's announcement, President Ivins' talk, Elders Pratt and Hart's excitement at the news, and Elder Roberts' praise of Ivins' talk. That search function was useful for finding when the word "Cumorah" was used. It was not very useful in explaining what any of these search results have to do with this:

On 6/17/2019 at 10:31 AM, Traveler said:

This would take a New York placement of certain BofM events off the table.

23 hours ago, mordorbund said:

I didn't even have to download the PDF. There's already a search function built in. I read President Grant's announcement, President Ivins' talk, Elders Pratt and Hart's excitement at the news, and Elder Roberts' praise of Ivins' talk. That search function was useful for finding when the word "Cumorah" was used. It was not very useful in explaining what any of these search results have to do with this:

See the document at scribd.  Screen prints of church teachings (Doctrines of Salvation, volume 3).

Thanks,
Jim

On 7/13/2019 at 8:03 PM, theplains said:

See the document at scribd.  Screen prints of church teachings (Doctrines of Salvation, volume 3).

Thanks,
Jim

What I have tried to make as a clear point - if there is something concrete and beyond speculation - I am interested.  I am also interested in opinions that are based in empirical evidence or facts, that is why I pointed out the factual ancient middle eastern (dating back to 600 BC) reference to specific mountain ranges called "borders".   I am kind of like the prince charming that is not interested in any feet that will not perfectly fit the slipper that I know actually belonged to Cinderella.   The stepsisters claimed their feet fit almost perfectly.  Almost okay or almost a perfect fit is not an answer I am looking for.

The Traveler