The next life

beefche

In an article on ldsliving (linky), it quotes Joseph Smith as saying (referring to the deceased among us), "They are not far from us, and know and understand our thoughts, feelings, and motions, and are often pained therewith." 

Why would the deceased know our thoughts? I thought it was the Lord only who knew our thoughts (not even Satan knows our thoughts). What is it about not having a mortal body allows us to know another's thoughts? Am I being too literal in understanding this statement?

Guest LiterateParakeet

I love the topic of angels and have spent considerable time pondering and reading about them.  I don't know for sure, but a thought occurred to me while reading your post that perhaps he didn't mean literally reading our minds, but that they know our thoughts the same way spouses sometimes know what the other Is thinking because of context and body language. Or like a parent sometimes knows what their child is thinking.  

I think he meant that they know us quite well...they're near, they hear our conversations, they see our actions.  Yes, I feel confident that that is what he meant. I believe it was an expression of closeness, not literal.  

I do not know where the idea (thought) came from that spirit beings do not know our thoughts.  Perhaps it is a misunderstanding from Satan and the doctrine that he does not know the intent of our heart.  I have pondered many time where my thoughts come from and have determined that the vast majority of my thoughts do not come from me but rather come from one spirit being or another - other than myself.  That thoughts of truth and understanding Christ come from clean and holy spirits (including the Holy Ghost) and that thoughts of deception, lies and evil originate with Satan or a unclean spirit that follows him.  I believe we are often tempted with thoughts that come to us - seemingly unsolicited and out of the blue.  All thoughts of Christ and understanding of his teachings come through the Holy Ghost and spirits that covenant with G-d.  One might be able to argue that they remember a thought on their own but I am hard pressed that science can prove we can generate any original thoughts that before we had such thought - has never occurred to us.

The Traveler

Guest LiterateParakeet
11 hours ago, Traveler said:

I do not know where the idea (thought) came from that spirit beings do not know our thoughts. 

For me, and I think others as well, it comes from D&C 6:16  "Yea, I tell thee, that thou mayest know that there is none else save God that knowest thy thoughts and the intents of thy heart"

4 hours ago, LiterateParakeet said:

For me, and I think others as well, it comes from D&C 6:16  "Yea, I tell thee, that thou mayest know that there is none else save God that knowest thy thoughts and the intents of thy heart"

From an address given by Elder Tad R. Callister at BYU Idaho devotional January 22, 2013.

In essence, our thoughts become the seeds of our actions. We do have the power within us to take control of our lives and our thoughts. Good and evil thoughts cannot coexist in our minds any more than light and dark can exist at the same time and in the same place. At some point we must decide which will be our invited guest.

If we so desire, we can drive out every evil thought and immediately replace it with an uplifting song or poem or scripture. Just as darkness flees at the presence of light, so evil flees at the presence of good.

This concept follows on the parables of Christ - the wheat and the tears - and the sewer.

There are a couple of notions - first what are an individual's thoughts and what thoughts are sown.  The assumption of D&C 6:16 by many is that "thy thoughts and the intents of thy heart" are two different and distinct "things".  I believe that the scripture is talking about one and the same things.

I would bring up one other consideration about a famous scientist - Nikola Tesla.  He saw his inventions in visions and was able to make changes and alterations and test them.  An example is his invention of the brushless motor that he tested and perfected altering his vision.  He then built the first such motor from his visions and in over 100 years no one has been able to improve on his design.  

The Traveler

Guest LiterateParakeet

@Traveler I'm sorry, but I don't see the connection here. I agree that thoughts and intents of our hearts are the same. But what does this have to do with WHO can know our thoughts? 

Guest Mores

If I'm present when my wife hears bad news, and I see her drop down into a seat and begin crying, I know the thoughts and intent of her heart.  And I'm not even dead.