Jon Stewart's Testimony

Guest Mores

Guest Mores

Multiple news outlets are raving about Jon Stewart's testimony before Congress.  I can't see the videos.  I was looking for a transcript of the whole speech.  I can't seem to find any.  But the highlights were powerfully moving.

Even with some libertarian leanings, I'm all for funding this. 

The House seems to be saying that it will pass with strong bipartisan support.  But there is doubt in the Senate.  I have no idea why there would be doubt in the Senate.  Both Mitch McConnell and Pres. Trump seem to be all for funding it.

Some said that the question is that they don't want to make promised obligations for so far in advance (something like 75 years).  That is certainly a long time.  My solution would be that it should be automatically renewed every 5 to 10 years unless Congress changes it as part of their budget on the year of renewal.

13 minutes ago, Mores said:

Multiple news outlets are raving about Jon Stewart's testimony before Congress.  I can't see the videos.  I was looking for a transcript of the whole speech.  I can't seem to find any.  But the highlights were powerfully moving.

Even with some libertarian leanings, I'm all for funding this. 

The House seems to be saying that it will pass with strong bipartisan support.  But there is doubt in the Senate.  I have no idea why there would be doubt in the Senate.  Both Mitch McConnell and Pres. Trump seem to be all for funding it.

Some said that the question is that they don't want to make promised obligations for so far in advance (something like 75 years).  That is certainly a long time.  My solution would be that it should be automatically renewed every 5 to 10 years unless Congress changes it as part of their budget on the year of renewal.

I don't know why there is pushback on this. We gave pensions to Union veterans (rightfully so) from 1865 till the last one died in 1956 and there were a lot more of them. We can afford to support first responders and survivors with medical treatment, even if some of them live a really long time.

Edited by Midwest LDS

1 hour ago, Midwest LDS said:

We can afford to support first responders and survivors with medical treatment, even if some of them live a really long time.

I've been exposed to HIV, AIDS, Hepatitis A, B & C, TB, scabies, bed bugs, lice and who knows what else in the past 23 years.  I have a pension, but I will be responsible for my own healthcare when I retire.  Go figure.

Edited by mirkwood

Guest Mores
47 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

I've been exposed to HIV, AIDS, Hepatitis A, B & C, TB, scabies, bed bugs, lice and who knows what else in the past 23 years.  I have a pension, but I will be responsible for my own healthcare when I retire.  Go figure.

I feel you.  And I certainly appreciate what you do for the safety of those around you.

Jon Stewart addressed that:  Basically, first responders at that site were responding as soldiers in a war.  They should be treated like veterans with some of the same benefits as servicemen have.

• First responders are usually thought of as locals.  So locals should take care of them.  But Al Queda didn't shout "Death to Tribeca". They said Death to America.  This was a foreign attack on American soil.  This is something the Federal government should be addressing.
  • The percentage of those exposed to "slow death" was so extraordinarily high with the responders to the 9-11 attacks that the (related) deaths of first responders are going to outnumber the deaths of civilians in the initial attack soon.  This is a highly unusual situation.  I know of nothing in our history that compares.

Guest Mores
27 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

@Mores I have no problem at all with the decision.  It is long overdue.  I just think with the physical and health sacrifices public safety employees make we all should have healthcare at retirement.  A huge percentage (some say the majority) of us die within 5 years of retirement.

I hear that.  And would have no problem with that.

8 hours ago, mirkwood said:

I have two uncles who are police officers (one's retired the other's a Sheriff's deputy). You guys do not receive the thanks and support you deserve. I've always been beyond grateful for men and women like you who protect me and risk yourselves daily to prevent society from descending into chaos. At a minimum your healthcare should be taken care of.

Edited by Midwest LDS