Were the Shocking Billboards Advertising an “LDS Millionaire Looking For His Wife” Real?

8 hours ago, NeedleinA said:

It strikes me as some kind of advertising stunt. Some kind of hoopla to then turn around and introduce the new www.(insert) singles. com 

Edit: just read the article and saw the billboard for the first time.  Yes, marketing stunt. 

So you don’t believe there is any man behind the billboard? It’s all just a way to get this lady’s company up and going?

Guest Mores
1 hour ago, NeuroTypical said:

Why not both?  No reason a marketing stunt can't be a real thing.  If you're selling a dating site, might as well market it with a reality-show-esque "success story".

Well, I recall that TV show "Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire" which was supposed to be a reality series.  But it ended up having a bit of a scandal.  What a loss.

I'd think that people would be a bit more careful when setting up a new business with a questionable MO.

2 hours ago, NeuroTypical said:

Why not both?  No reason a marketing stunt can't be a real thing.  If you're selling a dating site, might as well market it with a reality-show-esque "success story".

True, I can see it.  I like to think that the person behind the billboard is an honest man looking for a spouse. I know that may not be the case, but I get annoyed when I see so many negative comments (on YouTube videos in particular) about This whole thing. From the interview I saw of the lady running it, it sounds like it’s legit and this guy really is genuine.  But my feelings won’t be hurt if I find out I’m wrong.

6 hours ago, Fether said:

So you don’t believe there is any man behind the billboard? It’s all just a way to get this lady’s company up and going?

Others have already mentioned it, maybe both... maybe. 

At the very least, that company just created a database, signed up 2500 females looking for 'love'.

Step 2: "Hey guys, we have thousands of singles females looking to meet you"

Step 3: "Hey ladies, though the millionaire slipped by, try these other eligible recent sign ups"

So on and so forth. Database doubles, triples off of a stunt no can prove was or wasn't a stunt. Simple. 

Anybody smart would use that list to rule out 2,500 gold diggers, then sell it to both other smart guys wanting to do the same and to guys looking for a list of hot women that will likely put out for a rich enough guy if they think it will give them an edge getting a life of luxury.

I wish I could find the video I watched on Youtube that was a social experiment. The experiment was based from computer analytics that used a scale of 1 to 10 for men's physical appearance. The study defined specific features that determined how physically attractive a man was.

It was interesting to see when women were just shown the picture how they rated men's attractiveness didn't vary much, the result was expected.

They used the same pictures allowing women to see the annual income of each male they were viewing. In this study the most unattractive man went from a 1 to a 8 and above. The most attractive male in the pictures went from a 10 to a 6.

Edited by Anddenex

Guest Mores
27 minutes ago, Anddenex said:

I wish I could find the video I watched on Youtube that was a social experiment. The experiment was based from computer analytics that used a scale of 1 to 10 for men's physical appearance. The study defined specific features that determined how physically attractive a man was.

It was interesting to see when women were just shown the picture how they rated men's attractiveness didn't vary much, the result was expected.

They used the same pictures allowing women to see the annual income of each male they were viewing. In this study the most unattractive man went from a 1 to a 8 and above. The most attractive male in the pictures when from a 10 to a 6.

On a similar note (but unrelated to the thread) another experiment was done rating some "mildly attractive" (by the test takers estimation) men to a bunch of women and were rated by the women.

But a few months later, they showed the exact same pictures and mixed up their descriptions of their "status" single, attached, married, etc.  What they found was that there was a startlingly consistent pattern.  Those who were married were rated the highest.  Otherwise attached were next.  Single men were the lowest.

The study's conclusion was that women have this tendency to believe that if other women think highly of a man, then the man is more attractive to the woman who learns that fact.

8 minutes ago, Mores said:

The study's conclusion was that women have this tendency to believe that if other women think highly of a man, then the man is more attractive to the woman who learns that fact.

I can totally see this from my personal experience.

I got beef jerky for Father's Day. This morning, I woke up to find the stupid dog had ripped apart the beef jerky package and eaten the remainder. I wasn't happy, but the dog was just being a dog. Hard to blame her for that.

Sometimes, when talking about some uncomfortable aspects of humanity (such as men preferring pretty women or women preferring rich men), I wonder if attaching a moral dimension to that aspect is wrong or unfair or naive. Maybe it's just people being people. Maybe God doesn't get upset or uncomfortable when women sign up for a chance to flock to the rich guy and try to win his heart with their preening and strutting display. If so, then we shouldn't, either.

But I would still be humiliated for my daughter if she participated in any such thing, and would shake my head in embarrassment if my son shamelessly advertised himself as an eligible millionaire bachelor. (On the other hand, that would mean my son was a millionaire, which would be okay.)

On 6/18/2019 at 11:59 AM, Anddenex said:
On 6/18/2019 at 11:50 AM, Mores said:

You see @MormonGator this is how you add subtlety to a brag.

On 6/18/2019 at 9:50 AM, Mores said:

On 6/18/2019 at 9:59 AM, Anddenex said:

2 minutes ago, mordorbund said:

You see @MormonGator this is how you add subtlety to a brag.

That's funny, and I can see how it could be interpreted at a subtle brag, but Anddenex wasn't making any reference toward himself. He was actually thinking about experience with friends, rock stars, and celebrities.

The rock star I had in mind is Mick Jagger and how his looks increased (more attractive, although he is truly an average looking guy) because other women think highly or see him as "hot" -- when if you take away his rock star status I don't think the majority of women would find him hot.

Biggest problem I see with attracting women want money is that even the most successful people usually fail a few times.  Nearly all of the $10M+ net worth people I've known have been flat broke, deep in debt and living out of a car or on a friend's couch at least once between making their first million and getting to where they are. Precisely one managed to keep the wife he had through that period, because they got married before he had any success,  when he was a carpenter who spent most nights in the back of his truck or in houses he was working on.  

All the others have had at least one divorce resulting from the broke times. Which pretty much confirms gold diggers are dumb, too; you don't cash in a stock that previously performed well when it's at an all-time low. 

Guest MormonGator
11 minutes ago, NightSG said:

Biggest problem I see with attracting women want money is that even the most successful people usually fail a few times.  Nearly all of the $10M+ net worth people I've known have been flat broke, deep in debt and living out of a car or on a friend's couch at least once between making their first million and getting to where they are. Precisely one managed to keep the wife he had through that period, because they got married before he had any success,  when he was a carpenter who spent most nights in the back of his truck or in houses he was working on.  

All the others have had at least one divorce resulting from the broke times. Which pretty much confirms gold diggers are dumb, too; you don't cash in a stock that previously performed well when it's at an all-time low. 

Yup. 

The other issue I see is that many, many millionaires live surprisingly modest lives. Usually the "millionaires" that live lavishly are heavily in debt and trying to show off. If you judge on appearances and marry the person driving a Bugatti instead of a Ford, you might be in for a surprise. 

On 6/21/2019 at 8:31 AM, MormonGator said:

Yup. 

The other issue I see is that many, many millionaires live surprisingly modest lives. Usually the "millionaires" that live lavishly are heavily in debt and trying to show off. If you judge on appearances and marry the person driving a Bugatti instead of a Ford, you might be in for a surprise. 

The three most wealthy guys I know in this area drive Ford or Dodge pickups. Two have crazily expensive houses with all the luxuries, while the third (the carpenter from before, who turned out to have a real talent for sales) has a 1,200 square foot normal looking house on 600 acres. His wife refuses to let him hire a maid so he built just enough to have what he wanted and two guest bedrooms for when their kids visit. She spends tens of thousands a year redecorating it, and he has a gun collection worth more than I could begin to add up, but meet them anywhere other than the range and they're the typical retired-to-the-country middle class couple. 

Guest Mores
On 6/21/2019 at 8:31 AM, MormonGator said:

That was the surprise most people got with the "Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire" show.  He was that type of millionaire.  And everyone was disappointed.

20 hours ago, Mores said:

That was the surprise most people got with the "Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire" show.  He was that type of millionaire.  And everyone was disappointed.

Back when the Mega Millions lottery jackpot was well past $1 billion, I was daydreaming about what I'd do with that kind of money. 

Large-but-normal house, (maybe 5k sq ft... I grew up in 3,200 and think every house should have at least one room where a couple can waltz without running into walls) Toyota Camry, hire a couple people I know who haven't been making full use of their talents as my cook and personal assistant and build houses for them just out of sight of the main house. $20 million in trusts for my kids. Huge dojo with a basic gym attached and bribe my favorite instructors to move their classes there.  At least $5 million to Dolly Parton's Imagination Library.

Then the Bat Cave like underground garage with a Lamborghini Countach and Ferrari Testarossa. (Yeah, we never really grow out of wanting the hottest cars on the market from the teen years.)  Beyond that, I dunno. Probably 2-3 bespoke suits, saxophone lessons and some really awesome camping gear.