Local policy

mikbone

So we moved from Texas to Northern California 13 years ago.  I was straight out of residency with a growing family, and because none of the homes for sale were a good fit for our family we decided to build.  Because I don't really play well with others we found a site with 10 acres to limit the amount of neighbors.  At that time we already had 5 children with more on the way so we didn't need a formal dining area and a second living area, we needed a big kitchen, bedrooms and bathrooms.  

C1F41C64-7AA4-4075-889A-5D2A737F2E5D.thumb.jpeg.21170bfd96759ea4477a0958074d52af.jpeg

We were on the coveted West side of town and found ourselves in a nice ward with a new chapel only 10 minutes from the house.  Everything was fine.  Then about 5 years ago, my wife strikes up a friendship with a family that lives in another ward across town.  During one of their conversations her new friend states something like, "you know, according to the ward boundaries you should really be in our ward."  So my wife comes home and shares this information with me.  I'm like, what, nowai...  We are supposed to be going to church at the stake center 23 minutes away???

Fortuitously, we had a temple interview within the month.  During the interview, I took a look at the map on the wall, and sure enough - wrong ward.  I asked the bishop for clarification, and he explained that many years ago a 'gentleman's agreement' had been struck and that there were about 20 or so families on the west side (mostly professionals) who corresponded to the stake center but whose records currently resided in the ward with the more convenient new building.  

We let him know that we don't participate with 'gentlemen's agreements' and that we would like our records to be sent to our designated ward.  He was flabbergasted.  We thanked him for his service and started going to our new ward the next week.  When we sat in the pew at the new ward, many members cried.  Then a year later, the ward boundaries were enforced for the remainder of the families.  Initially there were some hard feelings, but I think that in the end we did the right thing.

Edited by mikbone

6 minutes ago, Vort said:

Just like all the best doctors.

Patient: Dr. Mikbone, am I gonna...die?!

Mikbone: Well, duh. What, you think you're immortal or something?

These are some of my favorites

Patient:  Can I have some more pain meds?

Mikbone: No

Patient:  Can you just fill out these forms?

Mikbone:  I'm a scalpel doctor, not a pen doctor.  My staff might be able to help, but if they can't, take them to you PCP.

Patient:  How long do I get for disability?

Mikbone:  Oh sorry, I'm a fix ya get ya back to work doctor, not a disability doctor.  

I don’t understand.  People—priesthood leaders, no less—were affirmatively lying to new move-ins in your area, about what ward they should be going to?  Or was there a reason people didn’t want to attend the other ward?  Why didn’t they just adjust the ward boundaries?

And, why were people in your new ward crying the first time your family came?  Is it a struggling ward, or something?

I feel like I’m not quite connecting all the dots I’m supposed to connect here.

2 minutes ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I don’t understand.  People—priesthood leaders, no less—were affirmatively lying to new move-ins in your area, about what ward they should be going to?  Or was there a reason people didn’t want to attend the other ward?  Why didn’t they just adjust the ward boundaries?

And, why were people in your new ward crying the first time your family came?  Is it a struggling ward, or something?

I feel like I’m not quite connecting all the dots I’m supposed to connect here.

Yeah, I was dumbfounded too.  A year later one of the Stake Presidency members praised us during an interview for doing the right thing.

About the crying, you got me?  I don’t notice that kinda stuff.  Just what the wife mentioned.  She said like four sisters were emotionally moved. We doubled the primary and brought a strong family to the ward? The following year the dynamics of the ward changed significantly.

10 hours ago, mikbone said:

So we moved from Texas to Northern California 13 years ago.  I was straight out of residency with a growing family, and because none of the homes for sale were a good fit for our family we decided to build.  Because I don't really play well with others we found a site with 10 acres to limit the amount of neighbors.  At that time we already had 5 children with more on the way so we didn't need a formal dining area and a second living area, we needed a big kitchen, bedrooms and bathrooms.  

C1F41C64-7AA4-4075-889A-5D2A737F2E5D.thumb.jpeg.21170bfd96759ea4477a0958074d52af.jpeg

We were on the coveted West side of town and found ourselves in a nice ward with a new chapel only 10 minutes from the house.  Everything was fine.  Then about 5 years ago, my wife strikes up a friendship with a family that lives in another ward across town.  During one of their conversations her new friend states something like, "you know, according to the ward boundaries you should really be in our ward."  So my wife comes home and shares this information with me.  I'm like, what, nowai...  We are supposed to be going to church at the stake center 23 minutes away???

Fortuitously, we had a temple interview within the month.  During the interview, I took a look at the map on the wall, and sure enough - wrong ward.  I asked the bishop for clarification, and he explained that many years ago a 'gentleman's agreement' had been struck and that there were about 20 or so families on the west side (mostly professionals) who corresponded to the stake center but whose records currently resided in the ward with the more convenient new building.  

We let him know that we don't participate with 'gentlemen's agreements' and that we would like our records to be sent to our designated ward.  He was flabbergasted.  We thanked him for his service and started going to our new ward the next week.  When we sat in the pew at the new ward, many members cried.  Then a year later, the ward boundaries were enforced for the remainder of the families.  Initially there were some hard feelings, but I think that in the end we did the right thing.

Me too. When people complain about the inconvenience of their ward boundaries and want to attend a closer building, I explain that our ward boundaries are akin to the assigned inheritances for the tribes of Israel; they are a blessing from the Lord. "Gentlemen's agreements," especially for the convenience of "mostly professionals" in a "coveted" location, smacks of mini-apostasy! :)

11 hours ago, mikbone said:

Patient:  Can you just fill out these forms?

Mikbone:  I'm a scalpel doctor, not a pen doctor.  My staff might be able to help, but if they can't, take them to you PCP.

Ahh geez... And here I was starting to write a letter for you to sign my kid's medical forms for his mission application.  Dang PCP can't see my son until August!  

15 hours ago, Vort said:

Just like all the best doctors.

Patient: Dr. Mikbone, am I gonna...die?!

Mikbone: Well, duh. What, you think you're immortal or something?

My favorite - an older guy that is frightened of doctors goes with his wife for a checkup.  After the checkup the doctor wants to consult with the old guy but in his fear - he sends in his wife to talk to the doctor.  The conversation with the doctor takes place:

Doctor: I am glad you came in - your husband has a very uncommon condition that can be easily treated but you need to be involved.

Wife: What do I need to do?

Doctor: First let me say that his condition is critical so - either your husband must have more sex or he is going to die.

Later on the way home the older guy got up the courage to ask his wife.

Older Guy: What did the doctor say?

Wife: He said you are going to die.

The Traveler

15 hours ago, mikbone said:

Stranger things - when I lived in the Seattle area (maybe near @Vort?) we had a ward boundary next to us wind through several streets (a couple of miles) down the center of the street until it came to one house that would otherwise be in our ward.  The boundary then went around just one house and then returned back to the neighboring ward winding down the same middle of streets.  The house was the home of the bishop in the neighboring ward.  Sometimes priesthood leadership has an impact on ward boundaries.

The Traveler

4 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Ahh geez... And here I was starting to write a letter for you to sign my kid's medical forms for his mission application.  Dang PCP can't see my son until August!  

You are a smart lady and you know how to sing your signature - you sign the medical forms.  Besides you probably know your son's health better than any doctor anyway.

Little story:  I worked for a large automation company and knew the VP very well.  Not sure why but he had my desk moved to just outside his big old office.  He said it was so he could keep his eye on me.  Ha! he should have known better.  To save money the company came up with a new travel policy that only the VP or P could authorize travel.  Very stupid idea because that is what we did - travel to sell and install systems.  Then one day I was at my desk working (as always) when some guy comes to the VP's office  But no one is there.  The guy gets bent out of shape and begs the VP's secretary for where the VP is.  She responds that he is out of town.  The guy is distraught and says he must travel that afternoon and there is no one to approve his travel.

This is an easy problem to solve I thought.  So I walk up, "I'll sign your travel papers".  We exchange a little bit because he does not know me but knows enough that I am not the VP or P.  He asks,  "Are you sure you can sign the travel approval?"  Sure - and I take the paper and sign it and send him off the the travel Dep for his tickets and stuff.  The secretary is beside herself and reminds me that I cannot sign for the travel.  I respond with an - of course I can and I did - can't you wait to see what is going to happen?

The guy traveled that day and I never heard a thing about it from anyone - but about a week later the policy was changed.

The Traveler

I don't get all emotional about the ward I attend.  I have been a member of at least a dozen different wards and I have enjoyed them all.  Perhaps I am a glass is pretty full type of guy when it is probably mostly empty, but you when you look for the good, you'll find it.

What would I have done in the situation?  Nothing.  Why?  because I don't care about stuff like that.  One ward isn't any truer than the other.

The other thing that I hear members squabble over is what night is the ward's assigned mutual night.

55 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

I don't get all emotional about the ward I attend.  I have been a member of at least a dozen different wards and I have enjoyed them all.  Perhaps I am a glass is pretty full type of guy when it is probably mostly empty, but you when you look for the good, you'll find it.

What would I have done in the situation?  Nothing.  Why?  because I don't care about stuff like that.  One ward isn't any truer than the other.

The other thing that I hear members squabble over is what night is the ward's assigned mutual night.

We share a building with a local deaf branch.  A couple years ago, as cubmaster at a pinewood derby, I had the unique experience of being yelled at by a deaf person for our being in the building on their night (it wasn’t their night); and then yelled at further because our boys were being too loud (wait—what?).

Edited by Just_A_Guy

We moved into a condo next door to where my sister lived. I assumed we would be going to her ward. Nope. We were assigned to another ward. We drove by 3 building and 20 minutes away to this building.  The ward was hard. There was one young man and 2 young women. People taught horribly false things. It was so bad. I asked why we couldn't go to our old ward? They needed priesthood we were told.   Oh and they put my husband in nursery. Guess they needed priesthood in there.

When our lease came up, we moved. Mostly due that ward. It would have ruined church for me and I didn't want to raise my kids in that ward.   I feep bad for people who get thrown in wards that they don't want to be in. 

I went to wards before putting in an offer on a house. I was super picky about that.

• 2 months later...
On 6/14/2019 at 5:36 PM, Just_A_Guy said:

We share a building with a local deaf branch.  A couple years ago, as cubmaster at a pinewood derby, I had the unique experience of being yelled at by a deaf person for our being in the building on their night (it wasn’t their night); and then yelled at further because our boys were being too loud (wait—what?).

I am guessing not all in the deaf branch are deaf.  My daughter requires hearing aids.  She has significant hearing loss.  You would think she wouldn't mind a lot of commotion.  She does not like a lot of noise.  She is used to the quiet and when it is not, it gets under her skin a bit.

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 1:15 PM, Traveler said:

You are a smart lady and you know how to sing your signature - you sign the medical forms.  Besides you probably know your son's health better than any doctor anyway.

Little story:  I worked for a large automation company and knew the VP very well.  Not sure why but he had my desk moved to just outside his big old office.  He said it was so he could keep his eye on me.  Ha! he should have known better.  To save money the company came up with a new travel policy that only the VP or P could authorize travel.  Very stupid idea because that is what we did - travel to sell and install systems.  Then one day I was at my desk working (as always) when some guy comes to the VP's office  But no one is there.  The guy gets bent out of shape and begs the VP's secretary for where the VP is.  She responds that he is out of town.  The guy is distraught and says he must travel that afternoon and there is no one to approve his travel.

This is an easy problem to solve I thought.  So I walk up, "I'll sign your travel papers".  We exchange a little bit because he does not know me but knows enough that I am not the VP or P.  He asks,  "Are you sure you can sign the travel approval?"  Sure - and I take the paper and sign it and send him off the the travel Dep for his tickets and stuff.  The secretary is beside herself and reminds me that I cannot sign for the travel.  I respond with an - of course I can and I did - can't you wait to see what is going to happen?

The guy traveled that day and I never heard a thing about it from anyone - but about a week later the policy was changed.

The Traveler

I've read and reread and it must be my older age and less keen mind...but I don't get it...

What did you mean...wait to see what is going to happen?

What was the reason you could sign and get away with it, why was it accepted?

What did the policy change to?

Sorry, I'm probably a little dense on this...and couldn't figure it out on my own.