Was the Prosperity Gospel Exposed in Recent Viral Video Featuring Famous Prosperity Gospel Preacher?

A couple of weeks ago a popular investigative tabloid, Inside Edition, posted a shocking interview with famous prosperity gospel preacher Kenneth Copeland. If you haven't had the chance to watch it, here it is. In the video, Copeland defends his lavish lifestyle which includes multimillion-dollar homes and his own private jets. The vast majority of his wealth comes from the donations of his congregation. In a telling response to this article, Costi Hinn—nephew to prosperity preacher Benny Hinn offers his take on Copeland's "outlandish statements and patronizing remarks" which he believes "misrepresent the true Christian gospel." This compelling video and response force us to consider our position on the prosperity gospel. It's well known that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is not a poor church. Likewise, there are many scriptural attestations that indicate the Lord will prosper those who follow Him. Keeping this in mind, how can we respond to accusations levied against us, which have striking similarities to those charged to Brother Copeland. Let's take a deeper look...

View the full article

Related image

This is one of the last pictures of President Thomas S. Monson.  You can learn alot about a man from looking at his surroundings and seeing what he holds dear to himself.

When I first saw this picture it brought me to tears.  Elder Monson was called as an Apostle of the Lord in October 10, 1963.  I can tell you from experience that he likely spent the majority of his last remaining months in this room.  This is no doubt his favorite comfortable chair.  The library behind him is full of books that he is currently reading. The walker behind the chair is his primary means of locomotion.  Likely the microwave was used to reheat food that was brought in by friends or family.   And family, lots of family, that really love and respect him.  Notice his uniform.  

We believe in prosperity.  Our prosperity is just different than what you usually find in the "Prosperity Gospel"

https://www.ibtimes.com/thomas-s-monson-net-worth-mormon-church-president-had-no-salary-2636353

Edited by mikbone

I think all churches should avoid 2 Nephi 28

"They rob the poor because of their fine sanctuaries; they rob the poor because of their fine clothing; ..."

I came from a catholic background and know from experience that they build
a lavish church right in the middle of the poorest of the poor ; one example
being Mexico.

Thank you,

Gale

This topic strikes a chord with me because the "prosperity gospel" was a cancer that afflicted the Pentecostal movement quite heavily in the 1980s-90s. There remain a few outlandish remnants, but the idea that God will give great financial blessings to those who plant "a seed of faith" into particular para-church organizations (i.e. the media evangelists) is largely discounted. Most Christian ministers live within a step or two of the parishioners (those would be steps down in wealthier venues). In civil employment, correctional chaplains often make significantly less for their education than their peers in education. Likewise with hospital chaplains.

At the same time, there's a deeper warning here. Wouldn't life be easy if those ministers preaching a "prosperity gospel" identified as such? Kenneth Copeland does promote a "word of faith" type of praying (speak what you request of the LORD into being...like you really believe God will do it--then He will!), I'm not sure he'd qualify as a full-blown prosperity preacher. Benny Hinn is a healing evangelist, more than he is any kind of Bible teacher. And indeed, most who would lead us astray with subtle appeals to richer finances, more comfort (for the family of course), etc. often hide in the clothing of brothers/sisters in the LORD, of financial counselors, of friends who have heard of this awesome opportunity and are willing to share it with you because they trust you, etc. Very seldom does the deceiver announce, "I am a prosperity preacher. Send me money and God will send you more." I literally saw that in the 1980s...but now the deceiver is a good deal more "soft sell."

Edited by prisonchaplain