The Church is a Vehicle, Not a Destination

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is a vehicle, not a destination. But before we talk more about that vehicle, we need to set the stage and talk more about the destination. The destination is, of course, the Celestial Kingdom. Living in the presence of God the Father. But what would you say the key to abiding God's presence in the Celestial Kingdom is? Is it simply believing in Jesus? Is it a completed collection of pure, error-free knowledge about Christ, His nature, and His doctrines? Is it being able to present a completed checklist of ordinances? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that none of those options are totally correct. The character of God God can command the seas. He can create planets, and life itself. He is all-powerful. But here's another question for you: Is God God because he's powerful? Or is God powerful because he's God? In other words, is God God because of what He does or because of who He is? Alma 42 in The Book of...

View the full article

23 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I always consider it flawed to talk about the imperfect members of the church, including leadership, as if that is "the church".

True.

Helaman 3:33:

"And in the fifty and first year of the reign of the judges there was peace also, save it were the pride which began to enter into the church—not into the church of God, but into the hearts of the people who aprofessed to belong to the church of God." (Emphasis mine)

The Church isn't flawed.