'Deep fake' videos that can make anyone say anything

'Deep fake' videos that can make anyone say anything worry U.S. intelligence agencies

By Joe Toohey, FOX 5 NY -- Posted May 06 2019 -- A video of a seemingly real news anchor, reading a patently false script saying things like the "subways always run on time" and "New York City pizza is definitely not as good as Chicago" gives a whole new meaning to the term fake news.

But that fake news anchor is a real example of a fascinating new technology with frightening potential uses.

I was stunned watching the Frankenstein mix of Steve Lacy's voice coming out of what looks like my mouth.

"That's how well the algorithm knows your face," Professor Siwei Lyu told me.

The video is what is known as a deep fake: a computer-generated clip using an algorithm that learned my face so well that is can recreate it with remarkable accuracy.

Read more at:  http://www.fox5ny.com/news/deep-fake-videos-intelligence-agencies

Guest Mores

Believe it or not, the technology for this was invented about 15 to 20 years ago.  There can be some "tells" that it was faked -- if the video was pretty high quality (like a newscast).  But if the video (like surveillance video) is grainy enough, it can't be detected at all.  Similar things can be said of the audio.

But as the article says the improvements to the technology to create and to detect are always one-upping each other.  At some point, there will be no way to detect it at all.

On 6/19/2019 at 11:19 AM, Emmanuel Goldstein said:

Don't believe anything you see that seems out of character of the person speaking it.

Hah!

If CNN can make people believe that Trump is a Russian agent, Kavanaugh is a rapist, Sandmann is a white supremacist, and Michael Brown was a victim, they can make you believe anything without needing to go deep fake.