Joseph Smith Translation of Luke chapter 23

Tell me if there are any thoughts on the below writings I have compiled for a spiritual journal:

This is regarding a correction of translation in the Bible concerning Luke chapter 23 verses 42-43. A thief hanging on the cross conversed with Jesus as He was also crucified next to him:

42 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.

43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

The Prophet Joseph Smith taught: “King James’ translators make it out to say paradise. But what is paradise? It is a modern word; it does not answer at all to the original word that Jesus made use of. Find the original of the word paradise. You may as easily find a needle in a pile of hay. Here is a chance for you to argue with me, ye learned men. There is nothing in the original word in Greek from which this was taken that signifies paradise; but it was: This day thou shalt be with Me in the world of spirits; then I will teach you all about it and answer your inquiries.” (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, page 309.)

The below Joseph Smith Translation of Matthew 27:46-48 reads as follows:

46 He trusted in God; let him deliver him now; if he will save him, let him save him; for he said, I am the Son of God.

47 One of the thieves also, which were crucified with him, cast the same in his teeth. But the other rebuked him, saying, Dost thou not fear God, seeing thou art under the same condemnation? And this man is just and hath not sinned; and he cried unto the Lord that he would save him.

48 And the Lord said unto him, This day thou shalt be with me in paradise.

As the Joseph Smith Translation of the Bible was not complete. I believe this passage in Matthew chapter 27 is not correct.  It appears the thief on the cross that cried unto the LORD for mercy was not ready for paradise. The correct translation of verse 48 should read replacing the word "paradise" with a "world of spirits."

In the spirit world the thief would hear the gospel of Jesus Christ preached to him. (See page 96 of the New Testament 2019 Come Follow Me – For Individuals and Families.)

Edited by Still_Small_Voice
Omitted a word by accident.

Guest Mores

This is pretty much the common LDS interpretation.  So, did you have some question or concern about it?

I personally have a problem with Joseph saying "There is nothing in the original word in Greek from which this was taken that signifies paradise."  Actually, that is exactly the Greek word.  I don't know if that is the word that Christ used, because He most likely spoke Aramaic most of the time.  So, we don't know what word He used.  But the Greek is indeed "paradise."

I tend to think that Joseph only made this trifling distinction simply to use it as an opportunity to teach about the doctrines regarding the Spirit World.

(See Alma 40).

Edited by Mores

Thanks for the information Mores.  Perhaps the original document that Luke wrote did not have the Greek word for paradise in it.   Regardless, the correct translation of Luke chapter 23 verse 43 should read as follows according to Joseph Smith:  "And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in a world of spirits."

Guest Mores
Just now, Still_Small_Voice said:

Thanks for the information Mores.  Perhaps the original document that Luke wrote did not have the Greek word for paradise in it.   Regardless, the correct translation of Luke chapter 23 verse 43 should read as follows according to Joseph Smith:  "And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in a world of spirits."

And there's nothing wrong with that in our faith.  Because it means the same thing (context).  But I don't believe Luke used a different word in that passage.  Just my personal view.

If you look at the JST and compare passages back and forth, you realize that 95% of the time it was not a correction, but a clarification.  So, even with the JST in hand, that does not necessarily mean that the wording we currently have in the KJV is incorrect.  It was just less clear to an 1800s American.  And it is even less clear to us 21st century Americans.

I would say "paradise" and "world of spirits" are both correct phrases; however, "world of spirits" does not allow one to interpret "paradise" as heaven.

Upon death we all enter the spirit world - prison or paradise. And yet, "world of spirits," does leave it open that thief could have been in either place. That would leave it open to interpretation and probably some arguments. ;)

When I was on my mission, I was told the interpretation all depends on the comma.

" And the Lord said unto him, This day thou shalt be with me in paradise. "

becomes

" And the Lord said unto him this day, thou shalt be with me in paradise."

Shifting the comma shifts the meaning from the day you will be in paradise, to the day in which the Lord spoke. 

This solves the problem for those who do not believe in an immediate spirit world, but a waiting period before salvation.

Thom Wayment discovered that Joseph was never commanded to translate the Bible and he never said that he was translating the original text. In fact, Wayment said that Joseph used a study guide to help him. The RLDS, who owns the Joseph Smith translation of the Bible, made it a big deal. Here is an interview with Thom Wayment on Gospel Tangents 

There is one thing I do not understand.  Many of the Joseph Smith Translations are contained in the margins of the King James Version Bible.  Luke chapter 23 verse 43 is obviously a Joseph Smith Translation correction.  Why is it not even contained in the Inspired Version of the Bible?  I looked on the website of the Inspired Version of the Bible and the correction is not contained in the book.  See for yourself at this website:  http://centerplace.org/hs/iv/iv-luk.htm

Guest Mores
7 hours ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

Luke chapter 23 verse 43 is obviously a Joseph Smith Translation correction.

I don't understand what you are trying to say here.  It sounds like you're saying that what we read in the KJV is Joseph Smith's translation?  What???

7 hours ago, Still_Small_Voice said:

Why is it not even contained in the Inspired Version of the Bible?

Why would it be?  Joseph never wrote a version that stated so.  He apparently made a speech with an explanation.  But why bother with an alternate translation when what is stated is perfectly fine as it is?

Guest Mores
On 6/19/2019 at 5:26 PM, bytebear said:

When I was on my mission, I was told the interpretation all depends on the comma.

" And the Lord said unto him, This day thou shalt be with me in paradise. "

becomes

" And the Lord said unto him this day, thou shalt be with me in paradise."

Shifting the comma shifts the meaning from the day you will be in paradise, to the day in which the Lord spoke. 

This solves the problem for those who do not believe in an immediate spirit world, but a waiting period before salvation.

So... The entire doctrine of the spirit world is false.  Got it.

Edited by Mores