Hey gang -

Well, I finally turned in my notice at work and plan to retire at the end of July. I've been thinking that I might want to do a retreat to break mentally from work and go into the different mental & spiritual state of retirement. I've been looking locally and it seems that a number of Catholic groups run retreats for individuals. Being a former Catholic, I don't have a problem going to one of these. I appear to be open to people of all faiths, seem relatively new-age-ish, and you can be left alone - no exposure to Catholic teachings. 

I would like to read the BOM and maybe some other Mormon theology and just history of the Presidents; it would be great to do this in a retreat setting. Do Mormons have retreat centers? Do they do retreats? 

What do people do who just want to take time out to recharge and be introspective?

It's been awhile - how are y'all doing?

7 hours ago, dahlia said:

Hey gang -

Well, I finally turned in my notice at work and plan to retire at the end of July. I've been thinking that I might want to do a retreat to break mentally from work and go into the different mental & spiritual state of retirement. I've been looking locally and it seems that a number of Catholic groups run retreats for individuals. Being a former Catholic, I don't have a problem going to one of these. I appear to be open to people of all faiths, seem relatively new-age-ish, and you can be left alone - no exposure to Catholic teachings. 

I would like to read the BOM and maybe some other Mormon theology and just history of the Presidents; it would be great to do this in a retreat setting. Do Mormons have retreat centers? Do they do retreats? 

What do people do who just want to take time out to recharge and be introspective?

It's been awhile - how are y'all doing?

Good to hear from you!  

Not sure if BYU Education Week really qualifies as a “retreat”; but it’s about the closest officially-sponsored Church thing for adults that I can think of. 

Thanks. I'll look through some of these. I must be the worst Mormon on the planet - I don't think I want a structured setting with a lot of people talking to me. I want to be left alone to read and ponder. I need to be in a cloister somewhere where it's mostly silent and you eat plain meals made by old nuns or monks. Shoot, I'd even like a place where you participated in making the meals (I just don't want to wash dishes). :D

I would consider a historic church tour.  There are a few companies that provide them, and they do try to put in at least a bit of spiritual quiet time.  Of course, you could do your own pace, and maybe spend some extra time in Nauvoo or the sacred grove site.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865602820/Tips-for-families-on-the-church-history-trail.html

Edited by bytebear