Childhood cancer

seashmore

One of the kids in my CTR4 class (that I've been teaching for about a year, since they were Sunbeams) has just been diagnosed with leukemia. I have also just been assigned as his mom's ministering sister. I've been friends with her since the time they met in the YSA ward. They have a little guy who just turned one, and the four year old is as sweet as can be; he was so excited to tell me about his skinned knee on Sunday. 

And I've just gotta say....I am really struggling with this. I almost feel guilty asking for prayers for myself; he's not even my kid (outside that hour on Sundays). I'm questioning how I can be of emotional support to my friend, my student, and their family when I can hardly keep it together and find faith myself. I've been having that cliche monologue: "why is this happening to him? to them? It's not fair." I've never had that reaction to any other trial. Not when my parents divorced, not when any of my relatives died, not when I got fired, not even when my sister miscarried.

Bonus struggle: I can't find my copy of my patriarchal blessing. It's been a great strength to me for as long as I've had it, and it's not in the folder where I've kept it for almost ten years. 

Guest MormonGator

@seashmore, you, and that family have my prayers and I'm confident you'll be in the prayers of everyone here. Here's a giant hug to all of you. ❤️❤️❤️ 

You are going to struggle with it, and that's normal. After all, what kind of person can see a child with cancer and not struggle in someway? Be easy on yourself and do not feel guilty about whatever emotions you are going through, if it be questioning, anger, denial, you name it. It's all okay. It makes you a human. No matter what happens, stay strong and forgive yourself. It's okay. 

Hugs....

41 minutes ago, seashmore said:

Bonus struggle: I can't find my copy of my patriarchal blessing. It's been a great strength to me for as long as I've had it, and it's not in the folder where I've kept it for almost ten years. 

This part, at least, I can help with.

https://pb.churchofjesuschrist.org/pbrequest/?lang=eng#/

Thanks for all the kind thoughts and prayers. 

Update: his leukemia is the most common kind, therefore the most treatable. They are keeping him in ICU to help him deal with the reactions to the chemo he started yesterday, and will be in the hospital a minimum of two weeks. 

I also found my patriarchal blessing. It was in the same document holder as the folder, but in a different slot.

Cancer sucks.

It's a difficult time for everybody and it's okay to feel helpless.  But, you need to realize that these things are only bad from our limited mortal perspective.  When we surrender to the Will of God, then we acknowledge and accept that these are good things from the eternal perspective and that God has a plan for this little kid who He loves.

Big hugs to you.