Sealing after civil marriage

Hello

I’m a convert. My husband and I have been married over a year and are planning to get sealed once my year is up from my baptism. My question is mostly for the ladies! I have no one really I can ask. So I don’t plan to buy an actual wedding dress for the sealing and my civil wedding dress is not temple approved. Should I buy a nice white dress to wear to the sealing to take pictures in or is my white temple dress enough? 

Edited by Hello

I'm not a sister, but I'll chime in, anyway. Your white temple dress is perfectly adequate. If you want to change into a somewhat showier wedding dress for pictures afterwards, that's probably fine as long as the dress is modest. Check with the temple.

Fwiw, if it were me, assuming her sealing/temple dress weren't to be used for pictures, I would prefer my wife to wear a nice, non-showy dress for pics afterward.

Like Vort, I am not a sister, but our situation was similar to yours.  My wife was also a convert.  We married in a civil ceremony in Michigan then were sealed a couple of months later in the Salt Lake Temple following the anniversary of her baptism.  We were young, didn't have a lot of money as we were early in our careers so when we were sealed we simply rented clothing in the temple that we wore for the ordinance.  In the couple of photos that were snapped on the grounds following, she wore a tailored, skirted suit that she also wore to work and church.  It was winter so we both had overcoats on so there wasn't really much to see of our attire beneath.

Buying a special, white dress for the sealing is entirely up to you.  Your temple dress is sufficient for the ordinance.  

Best wishes as you prepare.  I hope you enjoy your sealing as much as we continue to enjoy ours.

2 hours ago, Hello said:

I’m a convert. My husband and I have been married over a year and are planning to get sealed once my year is up from my baptism. My question is mostly for the ladies! I have no one really I can ask. So I don’t plan to buy an actual wedding dress for the sealing and my civil wedding dress is not temple approved. Should I buy a nice white dress to wear to the sealing to take pictures in or is my white temple dress enough? 

Actually lady here!

Any dress you'd normally where to the temple is fine (white, modest).  If you don't want to do something else, don't worry about it.

And congrats!

Lady here too.  I got baptized after I got married.  Waited a year and got sealed at the temple.

Most Americans who get married civilly then get sealed later just wear their temple clothes for the sealing.  But my mother-in-law made me this really awesome fancy temple-friendly wedding dress.  I was 8-months pregnant too so I wouldn't fit in "regular" temple clothes.  She spent $100 on materials and sewed the dress herself in her sewing machine.  She's not a dressmaker by any stretch of the imagination.  She spent months learning how to make sleeves, how to embroider with sequins, etc. etc.  But she had an entire year to plan for the occasion.  She was super excited about it.

So looking back from my experience, I really love the idea of having a special sealing dress - that is as special as the wedding dress - that I would wear only once for that one particular occasion.  But that's just me.