Elder Uchtdorf’s Take On Those Who Are Fake

Let's be honest, in today's world, there's a lot of fake stuff out there. Fake meat. Fake AirPods. Fake eyelashes. Fake social media accounts. Fake babies. You name it. And while something being fake doesn't make it inherently evil or wrong—I personally enjoy drinking out of my fake Hydro Flask and seeing our beautiful, fake Christmas tree go up each year—there is a danger when we adopt the "fake is better" societal construct into our own lives and character. But don't take my word for it. The Potemkin Villages In Our Lives In a recent General Conference address, Elder (then President) Ucthdorf told the illustrative story of Potemkin villages. Summarized, A Russian Governor named Grigory Potemkin once wanted to impress Catherine the Great as she toured his area of governance. While floating down the river, the governor was quick to point out prosperous villages and their happy inhabitants along the shore. Sadly, these were merely pasteboard facades which were then transported to the next bend around the river as Catherine and her...

View the full article