Why More Americans Believe in Atlantis Than in Religion

We love to believe as members of The Church. We have a song called “I Believe in Christ”. We have articles of faith that all start with “We Believe.” Our beliefs are comforting and follow a certain kind of logic; they feel right.  If you start snooping around the belief market you will start to see that there are a wide range of things people believe in, also claiming a certain kind of logic and the accompanying feelings that make the belief seem right.  What are some of the strangest things people believe in? Strange  Beliefs The accompanying percentages represent the amount of Americans that profess belief in a given idea.  Atlantis-60%  Bigfoot-25% Witches/Spells-20% Extrasensory perception, or ESP-41% That houses can be haunted-37% Ghosts/the spirits of dead people-32% Telepathy-31% Clairvoyance-26% Astrology- 25% Channeling/allowing a 'spirit-being' to temporarily assume control of body-9% Traditional Religion 75% of Americans believe in some sort of superstition. How does that compare with indicators related to traditional religious worship?  Religion is a big deal-50% Religion can answer important questions-49% Apparently, people are more likely to believe in something like Atlantis than religion. Though...

View the full article

Guest Mores

I came to the same conclusion when I read the statistics at the beginning of the article.  The line "a big deal" set it off.

I was surprised that Atlantis topped the list.  Of all these other beliefs, I would have thought that was the most preposterous of them all.

53 minutes ago, Mores said:

I was surprised that Atlantis topped the list.  Of all these other beliefs, I would have thought that was the most preposterous of them all.

Depends on the specific Atlantis belief; we've found plenty of sunken cities, so it's actually pretty likely that somewhere there's a major city, advanced for its time, that sunk.  It's only some of them that believe it's somehow still functioning, whether populated with merfolk or under a giant air-filled dome.

On 6/28/2019 at 5:00 PM, Third Hour said:

We have articles of faith that all start with “We Believe.”

I tried just letting this be, but my desire for accuracy has me almost twitching. Article of Faith 11:

We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

Also, in the probably vain hope that somebody who can edit articles will see this, it would be nice if "world of wisdom" in the last paragraph could be changed to "word of wisdom".