Native American LDS?

Eternum

I've heard in general about how the original population of the Americas has had a lot of conversions into our faith. It's easy to see those results from South America, but due to the numbers of Native Americans in the States, that is much more difficult. I heard from a returned missionary assigned to a reservation area some years ago that he had success. But is there anyone who would be willing to write about being NDN LDS?

Guest Mores

I don't believe there are any Native Americans who actively participate on this forum.

But I've known some in my life.  Since each individual or family that I knew were all isolated, it is difficult to say if there was any common trait or behavior in all of them that would provide any insight into what being a Latter-day Saint would be like for them.

One I knew was fairly active, and attended a standard ward, off the reservation.  He never really spoke much.  I always saw him at church.  He went to all the activities.  But I never heard him express his insights or opinions or even his testimony.  I tried being his friend.  But he just never spoke more than simple greetings and brief sentences.

Another family I knew was very active.  They lived on a reservation.  The ward on that reservation was quite large.  It seemed like any other service in any other LDS ward.  The only difference to me was the location.

Another place was a branch.  VERY few members there.  I only attended a few meetings there.  I have no idea what the tribe was like.  The few people there were like any others.

Some children attended a local ward.  The tribal lands were almost interlocked with US lands.  I've since found many locations that are like this.  I did not know it at the time.  But they attended the ward in spite of their family's wishes.  They said they really felt the Spirit. And they were happy at church.  Their family didn't agree.  But their parents allowed it.

Edited by Mores

Thanks for the insight. That is surprisingly varied. I imagine that has a fair bit to do with which tribes they're from and thus cultural background, but still. To me, being the minority among minorities is already tough. And then being a member of a rather small religion by comparison to others. Talk about being different even among the different. That's why I was curious. It seems like it would take some extremely brave souls willing to carve out that kind of individuality.

Guest Mores
8 hours ago, Eternum said:

Thanks for the insight. That is surprisingly varied. I imagine that has a fair bit to do with which tribes they're from and thus cultural background, but still.

Two of the accounts were with Navajos.  The other two were Apache.  If that helps.

8 hours ago, Eternum said:

To me, being the minority among minorities is already tough. And then being a member of a rather small religion by comparison to others. Talk about being different even among the different. That's why I was curious. It seems like it would take some extremely brave souls willing to carve out that kind of individuality.

I'm not sure if "brave" has as much to do with it as "people".  You've got some really good people who are color blind.  And as years go on, more and more people are like that (both in and out of the Church).  Then you have the minority individual in question.  Do they identify as a member of a race?  Or do they identify as a member of the Church?

Those minorities I've encountered who identify as members of the Church do FAR better than those who identify as members of a race.  As an example, I've known some really old-school folks who aren't bad people.  And they don't really hate anyone.  But they are products of their times.  And when they hear someone say anything because of race, these old guys respond with something about race.  But when the minorities simply bear testimony, these old guys think "That was really amazing.  I think I like him/her."

You have to understand that the separation of minorities goes both ways.  There are those in the majority that have their prejudices.  And there are the minorities who expect prejudice (which in and of itself is also a type of prejudice).

You want to be an individual?  Then be an individual.  Don't claim to be different because of your race.  When I'm "being an individual" I don't care what race of people I'm with.  They're all individuals.  It really is about the content of the character rather than the color of your skin.

If you're Native American then, sure, you've got different hair color/texture and skin/eye color.  But is that what defines you?  It's more about what's in your head and your heart that defines you.  And if you go looking for prejudice, you'll find it (both because it exists, and because you'll interpret it to be there).  If you go expecting acceptance and belonging, you can find that too (because it does exist out there).

I realize that in your life you've had some tough experiences.  But the Son of Man hath descended below us all.  Art thou greater than he?  Even among the Jews who treated him so harshly and rejected him more than the Romans did, there were still so many who accepted him and followed him.  Which did He focus on?