Any Jewish Or Muslim Members Who Can Answer This?

Penlady

Wow. Thanks a-train! I wonder why the Muslims do it, if this was started only about 800 A.D.? Islam was created about 500 A.D., so it could not have been passed on from Abraham to both sons, which then became Israel and Islam, like would be the logical explanation. So according to the information above, if I rock back and forth while learning math or memorizing, it will sink in faster? Hmmm...I am forever the cynic and the "why" asker, I guess. I really do appreciate that information, I have wanted to know for years.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Penlady

• 2 weeks later...

I have been searching and searching, but I can not find the true explanation of why the Jews and the Muslims rock back and forth when reciting the Torah and the Quran. Would love to know! :dontknow: I love studying all religions/cultures. THANKS!

Blessings,

Penlady

If you can tell why a bunch of religious refugees call themselves "pioneers" and wear funny, black 1840s hats--year after year--3 weeks after Independence Day (viz., July 4), then I will answer you.

P.S: The July 24 date needs no explanation.

Muslim children tend to do this when learning to recite the Qur'an in their Qur'anic classes. This has nothing to do with religious practice and is more likely a result of the rhythmic verses that the children are reading which makes them rock back and forth as they learn.

Also it should be noted that this is more common in south asian countries and may not be as common amongst the children of the Arab world or Africa.

Hope this helps.

If I start rocking back and forth, the men in the white van with the square wheels arrive to take me to the local looney bin!! LOL :)

That is now. Back when you may have simply been the genitor of a soon to be repeated religious custom. BTW, I imagine autism existed way back when as well.

• 1 month later...

It's just another example of followers mimicking the actions of their prophet and/or teacher and turning it into a "rule". Same thing with Muslim prayer: because the prophet Muhammed curled his toes a certain way when prostrating, everyone has to do it, or you're not praying right. The Muslims especially have "idolized" every little quirk of the prophet Muhammed, as though there must be some deep significance to all his habits and idiosyncrasies. When I was practicing Islam I must confess I thought it all a bit silly. I mean, what if he just had a bunion and had to put his toes that way to be comfortable? :)

Guest Malcolm

I think in the case of Islam those issues aroused as soon as Muhammad died. Since they had nothing resembling a quorum of the 12, they first schism (split in two factions) happened right on that spot. We are not sure when the Qur'an was finally assembled but it seems about 20 years or so after Muhammad's death from written sources or memory. Just like in any other religion without ecclesiastic structure, different Mullah Iman (leaders) instituted its own worship rites and traditions which in time became dogma rather than doctrine. In fact, much of Islam today has nothing to do with the Qur'an and a lot to do with tradition. Much like Rabbinic Judaism which augmented the Law of Moses to thousands of commandments.

There's another interpretation of shukling. Not all Jews do this, but those who do are doing two things:

1. Involving the entire body in prayer, not just the voice and the mind (it's also why Jews in "silent" prayer are actually whispering -- it involves the breath and the inner organs in the prayer process), and this is usually what's going on if a person sways from side to side; and

2. Constantly bowing before God, which is what's often happening when someone is swaying from front to back or down and up.

• 1 year later...